Reworking of useless skills.

Returning player,first time posting on official forums. Since being back was wondering if there are any plans to do something meaningful/useful with all those skill that just seem useless now. Begging, camping, herding, Item identification (and in all honesty stealing and wrestling), Not to mention detect trap, hiding, remove trap, and even arguably healing and poising being almost completely secondary in the use of magery spells. Just something that hass been on my mind about uo for a few years now, and finally decided to post. Would love to hear everyone's feedback. 

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    I would also like to see an effective revamp of the "neglected" skills of UO..... I think that begging was given some better use during Halloween, higher begging would grant a higher chance at getting a rarer Halloween item.... detect and remove trap hopefully might be getting some revamp in this year, if the Team will be overhauling the High Seas and Treasure Maps and, therefore, the chests they spawn.. but definitively I would love to see some love being given to the forgotten skills of Ultima Online....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Some of these 'useless' skills are not as useless as you seem to think. Herding I use regularly if I want to tame creatures that spawn in difficult areas, I'm thinking particularly of Fire crimson and platinum drakes, ossien ram, blood fox and reptalon.   Hiding is essential for anyone wanting to use stealth, detect hidden is vital for finding boxes in Exodus - an activity I enjoy, stealing, especially from monsters, and in Exodus is fun. If you've never tried stealing from monsters or in Exodus, feel free to hop over to my youtube channel and have a look.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited January 2019
    wrong post
  • FinkFink Posts: 48
    Some of these 'useless' skills are not as useless as you seem to think. Herding I use regularly if I want to tame creatures that spawn in difficult areas, I'm thinking particularly of Fire crimson and platinum drakes, ossien ram, blood fox and reptalon.   
    This is truth, from Petra who is shepherd of legend. To herd creature is to control environment, and so you command both side of PvE. 

I raise topic of Herding Mastery with Mesanna at Oceania meet and greet. I ask if they maybe consider proposal as I have design to send to devil team. She say no herding mastery exist because dev do not regard this to be combat skill, and they not aware if this skill is use by many peoples. 

Skill only useless if you can find no use for it. eg: Camping can log out on ship, Item ID give Merchant title for trader, Forensic will give quadruple gain for Honesty virtue, et cetera. Of course can not deny many niche skill would enjoy more benefit for skill point investment if scope of application is increase.

~ The Babe with The Power ~
  • Camping isn't so much a useless skill, more so it's so easy to get around now that the world just doesn't accomodate it for most.  I still use it.

Healing, herding and poisoning I think are in a good state, mastery would be cool, but I'm not broken up about it.  The rest yeah, maybe could use some looks. 
  • ShannowShannow Posts: 35
    I've always thought there could be more content to enable use of forensics and tracking.
    i.e. find a recently dead corpse, forensics it, then get asked to follow the killers tracks. Tracking skill permitting. The combination of the two allowing tracking to work over a greater distance.

Extra content could even be added as PVM. eg armed goods caravan controlled by NPCs move from one town to another. It gets raided by a brigand group. Use of forensics and tracking allows you to search out the raiding party etc.

Or extra monsters only discoverable by use of these skills and detect hidden. eg. big foot.
    They could expand the hunstman monthly hunt for kills for example.
  • FinkFink Posts: 48
    Shannow said:
    Or extra monsters only discoverable by use of these skills and detect hidden. eg. big foot. 
    They could expand the hunstman monthly hunt for kills for example.
    This I like, cryptozoology aspect. Maybe this can be parallel non-combat challenge through royal science society type contest instead of hunter/killer. Discover and document evidence of unknown species, maybe win naming right for variant animal type that spawn at a rare chance, like JWilson slime of old.

~ The Babe with The Power ~