Swing Speed Increase

With the recent (or maybe not so recent) changes to swing speed cap and UOguide being slightly out date, is there a new swing speed increase calculator?

Feel like i'm wasting a ton of points on dex when I could through it in to Int

Thanks  :)

Comments

• ButcherButcher Posts: 28
    I would like to know too. Should I go max dex or max swing speed or a combination and if so what are the proportions etc?
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    Butcher said:
    I would like to know too. Should I go max dex or max swing speed or a combination and if so what are the proportions etc?
    Hopefully someone will pipe in, this day and age every stat point counts  :D

• ThalonThalon Posts: 61
    edited March 2018
    Far as I know the same has been true for years:

1) The fastest a character can swing a weapon is every 1.25 seconds

2) Swing Speed Increase reduces the weapon's base speed. Ex: 25% on a 4 second weapon means the weapon now swings every 3 seconds. 60% is maximum of benefit for all equipment/spells/effects

3) every thirty points of Stamina your character has takes 0.25 seconds off. Ex = 1.25 sec @ 150 Sta
    Thalon, Merchant Sailor of Pacific for fine Tools, Clothing, and Potions!
    Blacksmithing, Carpentry and Inscription services offered through afilliated subcontractors.
    Exotic beasts available with proper authorization from the Crown.
    Thalon said:
    Far as I know the same has been true for years:

1) The fastest a character can swing a weapon is every 1.25 seconds

2) Swing Speed Increase reduces the weapon's base speed. Ex: 25% on a 4 second weapon means the weapon now swings every 3 seconds. 60% is maximum of benefit for all equipment/spells/effects

3) every thirty points of Stamina your character has takes 0.25 seconds off. Ex = 1.25 sec @ 150 Sta
    That's the old calculation though? 

Did a little digging into the archives and found this - 
    • Weapon swing speed is now capped at 40% of base swing speed or 1.25 seconds, whichever is higher.The current Stamina cap is 250 and the current Swing Speed Increase cap is 60 which allows 4.25s and below weapons to swing at 1.25s. This change brings more balance, only allowing 3.5s and below weapons to reach 1.25s, which adds more value to those weapons besides weapon special moves. Out of all the suggested changes this one has the biggest impact on combat which is why we are cautious with moving forward and will require additional player feedback.
    So according to this my composite bow, for example, won't swing at 1.25s

Which my point was, with 50% Swing speed, will I be wasting stat points having my stamina at 180  :)

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited March 2018
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    PapaSmurf said:
    That's the old calculation though? 

• Weapon swing speed is now capped at 40% of base swing speed or 1.25 seconds, whichever is higher.The current Stamina cap is 250 and the current Swing Speed Increase cap is 60 which allows 4.25s and below weapons to swing at 1.25s. This change brings more balance, only allowing 3.5s and below weapons to reach 1.25s, which adds more value to those weapons besides weapon special moves. Out of all the suggested changes this one has the biggest impact on combat which is why we are cautious with moving forward and will require additional player feedback.
    So according to this my composite bow, for example, won't swing at 1.25s

Which my point was, with 50% Swing speed, will I be wasting stat points having my stamina at 180  :)
    Did that actually make it live? It reads as something they were trying on Test Center.
    -Arroth
  • ThalonThalon Posts: 61
    edited March 2018
    PapaSmurf said:

Did that actually make it live? It reads as something they were trying on Test Center.
    The document Pappa quoted was for Test Center as of December 2016
                  https://uo.com/2016/12/15/combat-changes-in-testing/

Publish 96 went live a few weeks later, combat changes were made but not anything mentioned about swing speed in the Publish notes
                    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-96/

PvP Only: Ranged weapon damage calculation update

• For weapons slower than 3 seconds, the faster the swing speed, the greater the chance damage will be at the low end of weapon damage range.
    • Ranged weapons with a base swing speed slower than 3 seconds will take swing speed into account in the final damage calculation.
    • Reducing weapon swing speed below .75 seconds of base swing speed increases chance of damage reduction per .25 seconds.
    • Potential damage reduction is capped at the minimum damage of the weapon. If your weapon has a damage range of 62-77, the lowest damage roll for your weapon would be 62.
    • Throwing weapon “Sweet Spot” mechanic takes priority when setting minimum damage of the weapon

So as Arroth indicated, the change from 60% SSI to 40% never went live, as it was mentioned only for TestCenter, not a live Publish.
    Thalon, Merchant Sailor of Pacific for fine Tools, Clothing, and Potions!
    Blacksmithing, Carpentry and Inscription services offered through afilliated subcontractors.
    Exotic beasts available with proper authorization from the Crown.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2018

I thought maybe it had gone live and I had just missed it. Too much to keep up with in UO after 20 years.

-Arroth

I thought maybe it had gone live and I had just missed it. Too much to keep up with in UO after 20 years.

Especially if, like me, you take a break for a few years  :D :D

Anyway thanks for clearing that up, I will go by the old calculator and mess around with my stamina  o:)

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    A couple months ago, I noticed that I had 30SSI and 209 dex.  Shuffled some stuff around to get 210 dex and it seems that I shoot one tic faster.  Stamina was easier to increase than SSI to get the next tic.

I was using that page.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420

https://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/ssi

This has many calculators on it including one for swing speed.  It works well to setup any template in the game.  I do know that 180 stamina plus 20 ssi with make a 3.5s weapon swing at 1.25.  remember that swing speed is based on stamina not dexterity.   I hope its ok to post that helpful site on these forums without issues. 

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    it is :)