UO Timeline for 2019 : Will it include also FISHING for much needed new content & additions/rework ?

The Timeline for 2019 (https://uo.com/2019/01/16/ultima-online-2019-roadmap/) has been indicated with 4 "steps" : Rising Tide which is ongong now, Forgotten Treasures, comeing in June, Forsaken Foes, coming in September and Jolly Roger which will take place in December.

As we know, in Rising Tide there is nothing for Fishing and, most importantly, nothing to make the reaching of 120 "Legendary" Fisherman worth the time and cost it takes to get there.....

Will Forgotten Treasures, Forsaken Foes or Jolly Roger contain a MUCH needed overhaul of Fishing and, most importantly, new content/additions which will finally make the reaching of 120, Legendary Fisherman, something really cool and usefull to have done ?

Various Threads in this Forums discuss how, a much needed overhaul of Fishing might be long overdue in Ultima Online....

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Making the fish pies last a lot longer would make a big difference. Leave the time as is in fel and make the ones in tram last 10 min with a 2 minute cool down.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    Making the fish pies last a lot longer would make a big difference. Leave the time as is in fel and make the ones in tram last 10 min with a 2 minute cool down.
    It would not be enough, to my opinion.

Legendary 120 Fishermen also need to be made usefull considering what it takes to get there....

As of now, it basically only is making some Trophies off of Legendary Fish that 120 Fishermen can catch.

Instead, if  "other" features where to be given to being a 120 Legendary Fisherman that were not merely cosmetic but of some practical use, then it would help this profession quite some...

For example, a "starting" point to give some new life and interesting content for Legendary Fishermen could see the Legendary Fish :

- Abyssal Dragonfish
    - Black Marlin
    - Blue Marlin
    - Dungeon Pike
    - Giant Samurai Fish
    - Golden Tuna
    - Kingfish
    - Lantern Fish
    - Rainbow Fish
    - Seeker Fish
    - Spring Dragonfish
    - Stone Fish
    - Winter Dragonfish
    - Zombie Fish

Be made possible to yield more then just a Trophy....

For example, the Developers could make these Fish be made possible to be cut in steaks and pies or other eatables to be made from them (more work for Cooking and other Skills, for example Alchemy if drinks could be made from them distilling the juice from the steaks....) which were to provide good and longer lasting BUFFS for characters and also for pets..... of course, being Legendary "rare" Fish hard to be caught and requiring a Legendary 120 Fisherman skill, they should be significant Buffs for quite lengthy times....

I think that such an addition would provide some usefullness for Legendary Fishermen to fish them up, for Chefs or Alchemists and perhaps other skills, to prepare those pies, drinks etc. and then for Warriors to benefit from those buffs !!

As of now, instead, unfortunately, Legendary fish once made into a Trophy its game over...

How many same Trophies does one need of a given type of Legendary fish ??

I think that it is necessary to make what Legendary Fishermen can exclusively fish be more usefull and usable as to become mere Trophies....
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    edited April 2019
    My guess is that unless it's in the Jolly Roger update in the winter... probably not. Forgotten Treasures is a revamp of treasure hunting and SOSs, and Forsaken Foes is mainly a revamp of Corgul and Charybdis.

Jolly Roger is the only update where a specific boss or aspect of the game isn't explicitly mentioned.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321

How many times does the same list of rare fish need to be posted?  Is 3 enough?  It is for me.

I hope the team don't have the same reaction to being nagged as I do.  
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    @Kyronix any chance we could see 120 Fishing/Tailoring able to craft low level fishing nets ? It would also be nice to see Fabled Fishing nets on Merchant/Dread Pirate ships as rare loot drops. Bait Buckets for holding and displaying baits, perhaps similar to the bookcases, where as you add more to it the graphics changes. Just random Thursday thoughts...
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Anything fishing related definitely won't be part of Forgotten Treasures (outside of SoS loot).

Beyond that, fishing is a massive system that would eat up a huge amount of whatever publish it was in.  It's definitely on the radar for the next couple publishes, but the scope of it will range somewhere far short of "major revamp".
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    I like the idea of being able to craft the fishing nets, even if they were just equivalent to the salvage hooks - it would give fisherpeople another possible revenue stream. Especially if they had a chance of pulling up mib or net carrying mobs (with a bump to the drop rate).

The larger fishing nets (which are currently just deco...or trash points) could also be given some functionality to bring in a larger haul of various fish (and such) at once. Or they could be used to fish up just deco stuff, separate from mib deco.

I don't expect to see updates to fishing until Forsaken Foes at the earliest, though Jolly Roger seems more likely. Especially since the original HS fishing update was coded by a lush  :D 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    @Kyronix

Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a bonus to MIB loot based on fishing skill... similar to the luck bonus for a treasure map.  Would be easy to add that as part of the Forgotten Treasures publish.
    Faeryl said:
    My guess is that unless it's in the Jolly Roger update in the winter... probably not. Forgotten Treasures is a revamp of treasure hunting and SOSs, and Forsaken Foes is mainly a revamp of Corgul and Charybdis.

Jolly Roger is the only update where a specific boss or aspect of the game isn't explicitly mentioned.
    Personally, I would see a Fishing revamp well fitting, for example, in the Forsaken Foes section.

Sure, as you say it is focused likely on a revamp of Corgul and Charybdis but, that does not preclude inserting in it also new Fishing stuff....

Also the Jolly Roger part though, could host a Fishing revamp although, Kyronix comment about a serious Fishing revamp taking a considerable manpower was quite a downer, at least for me....

I was really hoping that, after all these Years, something good and significative could be coming as new for Fishing....
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited April 2019
    The massiveness of the fishing system is part of what needs to be addressed imo. Variety is the spice of life, but do we really need ** 70 ** kinds of fish and 14 lobster/crabs? I would just remove a whole slew of them, especially the ones with repeat artwork, and that alone would greatly simplify the fishing quest system. They would become rare, extinct marine life. The orcs ate them all.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Tanager said:
    The massiveness of the fishing system is part of what needs to be addressed imo. Variety is the spice of life, but do we really need ** 70 ** kinds of fish and 14 lobster/crabs? I would just remove a whole slew of them, especially the ones with repeat artwork, and that alone would greatly simplify the fishing quest system. They would become rare, extinct marine life. The orcs ate them all.

Excellent idea and surely that can't be THAT much work, it's only deleting stuff or am I all wrong.  Sure sounds like a great idea to me, the fishing order thing is way way overdone with way too many combos and way too many fish and not to forget the elusive lobster you need.  If they were scaled down like you have suggested that would cure a lot of the pain trying to get the right kind of crab/lobster for that one nice order.
    Tanager said:
    I personally like the variety of fish. I'd personally just like it if I could get less footwear and if the lobster traps didn't disappear or pull up unnamed crabs/lobsters.
    edited April 2019
    Parnoc said:

Excellent idea and surely that can't be THAT much work, it's only deleting stuff or am I all wrong.  Sure sounds like a great idea to me, the fishing order thing is way way overdone with way too many combos and way too many fish and not to forget the elusive lobster you need.  If they were scaled down like you have suggested that would cure a lot of the pain trying to get the right kind of crab/lobster for that one nice order.
    It's only deleting stuff... until you consider that at the very least they'd then have to change the coding for the quests, then rebalance it...

And frankly... what sort of ocean or sea only has a handful of varieties of fish? As I've previously said, I like the variety. Now, if they could do like the did with the rarer fish and make a tool that allows one to track a school of a certain type of fish or lobster and results in a greater chance of catching that type over any other... something like that I could get behind.

Edit: Hell, make it a craftable and allow the player using it to select the fish/lobster/crab type they want to track down.

How many times does the same list of rare fish need to be posted?  Is 3 enough?  It is for me.

I hope the team don't have the same reaction to being nagged as I do.  
    I can understand that.

At the same time, though, it should also be understood how High Seas with the Fishing that we now know and have, was launched on October 12, 2010, with Publish 68.

Now we are in April 12th, 2019.

So, for a good 8 years and almost a half there has been nothing, to my understanding, done to Fishing since then.

I was STRONGLY hoping, seeing how this Year was revolving all around Ultima Online's Seas and its content, also to revamp the High Seas Booster, that an overhaul of Fishing would have been an integral and prime part of this Timeline....

Yet, Kyronix post in this Thread quite depressed me about it...

@Mesanna , @Kyronix , @Bleak is thre still hope that at least "some" love will come to Fishing during the course of this Year ? Please......
    Tanager said:
    Actually, I LIKE that massiveness and would like it to remain...

If at all, the repeat artwork should be replaced by different artwork but not taken away...

I would actually want MORE variety !!

What I definitively would want, is the ability to "cut up" Legendary Fish in steaks and make it possible for Cooks or Alchemists to turn those steaks into magical pies and oils and drinks (another cool use for Distillery !!) with "Buffs" that were significantly helpfull like giving better increases and/or for longer times !! Having Legendary Fish/Crabs/Lobsters ONLY be usefull for a Trophy is way too reductive, IMHO. How many Trophies does a player need to hang up on a wall?

Legendary Fish and Legendary Crabs/Lobsters are not a trivial thing to catch.

They require a serious investment time both in reaching 120 AND in catching them (including often having to use the special baits for them to catch them) so, even if the magical pies, oils, drinks that their steaks were to give were to be really powerfull and really long lasting, considering the hardness to actually catch those Legendary Fish it would still make sense and be feasible, me thinks.

And it would bring a wave of fresh air to Fishing making being a Legendary Fisherman usefull, wanted, a great thing to be... and fun to play....

Personally, I think that even if making this happen within the Timeline of the Current ongoing Global Event for 2019 was resources demanding, it would be all worth it.

And I hope that the Developers will think this over and find some room in their work schedule for this Year to make it happen at some point.

Thanks.