Did I just WASTE 500 Sovereigns all for nothing ??

2»

Comments

• FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    edited April 2019
    If you want to "play around" with the mechanics without ruining your pets... copy the character to Test Center and play with them there?

As someone with a tamer with a "full" stable who doesn't currently have her taming skills on... I survive just fine not having access to my stable. That's the price I pay for even being allowed to keep my pets without the appropriate skill.

"But actively using a Skill while not having it and simply having pets in a stable, at least to my viewing do not quite look the same..."

How is it not the same? Part of actively using taming is the benefit of more stable slots to store pets. If you remove the skill, you lose that benefit. Same way removing say GM inscription removes the SDI bonus you get. Or removing 120 blacksmithing removes your ability to use all the types of ingots. You can't eat your cake and have it, too.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Bilbo said:
    So then according to you @ popps I should have the ability to max out my stable slots (42) on my char and then transfer all those skills, which by the way gave me those benefits, to another char and do the same and to my next char and do the same and so on and so on and you also understand that I should be able to control all those pets even though I no longer have those skills on that char because that was a benefit that I had because of those skills at the time but you don't think any other skill in all of UO should have those benefits just because they HAD those skills at one time.  So every char should be able to have 42 pets and have total access to those pets just because one of those chars out of 7 chars (max) trained those skills and then stoned them off so another char could use them.
    No.

I said something entirely different.

# 1. When a Tamer puts Tameables in the stables using the slots coming from skill and, now, from the masteries levels, IF that same character Soulstones the Skills or simply changes the Mastery from Taming to something else, if that character was at max stables capacity they would could, possibly, take 1 tameable out of the stables but not put it back.

Sort of like the Bank Box where, if one, perhaps claiming a Token or some Holiday gift exceeeds the Bank's number of items, they can take items out of the bank box but not put them back in until they reach again an item count that is below the max limit in their Bank Box.

So, those tameables in the stables, assuming that they require Taming Skill to be controlled, would NOT be usable by a character without taming skills, I understand.

They are there, they stay there, they remain there until that character restores the Taming Skills on him/herself taking them off of the Soulstones OR, switches again the Mastery to Taming thus reestablishing the "operativeness" of that character's stables.

# 2 I was talking about keeping Stables slots separate whether they dealt with tameables which require Taming skill to be controlled, or whether they dealt with tameables which do NOT require taming skill to be controlled.
    Examples could be pack horses, regular horses and so forth.

In doing this, while the character that Soulstoned the Taming Skills OR switched Mastery from taming to something else would get a "stuck" Stables (because the number of slots reduced thus having more tameables in the Stables as the "new" slots condition allows) whereas they can pull out a tameable but not put it back in UNLESS they again took the taming skills from the Soulstones and/or switched their Mastery back to Taming, this character would STILL, even with no taming Skill, be able to operate regular tameables not requiring Taming skill out of the "other", separate Stable for that character for "regular" Tameables not requiring any particular Taming skill to be controlled.

Something quite different I proposed which, to my opinion, could still permit to that character to interact with its own Stables even though they no longer have Taming skills on them because they Soulstoned them, something which Ultima Online mechanics permit and facilitate considering how Soulstones are sold at the Store AND are given as a Veteran Reward.
    Faeryl said:
    If you want to "play around" with the mechanics without ruining your pets... copy the character to Test Center and play with them there?

As someone with a tamer with a "full" stable who doesn't currently have her taming skills on... I survive just fine not having access to my stable. That's the price I pay for even being allowed to keep my pets without the appropriate skill.

"But actively using a Skill while not having it and simply having pets in a stable, at least to my viewing do not quite look the same..."

How is it not the same? Part of actively using taming is the benefit of more stable slots to store pets. If you remove the skill, you lose that benefit. Same way removing say GM inscription removes the SDI bonus you get. Or removing 120 blacksmithing removes your ability to use all the types of ingots. You can't eat your cake and have it, too.
    "How is it not the same? "

It is not the same, to my viewing, because a Tamer who may have tameables in the Stables, if they Soulstoned the Taming skills CANNOT use those pets, assuming that those pets have a Taming skill requirement to control them.

That is, by NOT being able to "use" that pet the character is NOT, as I see it, getting any benefit from the Taming skill.

A Blacksmith who, instead, was to be able to use the Blacksmithing skill even after having soulstoned it, would benefit from using a skill which they do not have.

To my viewing, 2 entirely different things. Entirely.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    @popps ; Dont like the original idea?  You can store your pets on a Magincia Vendor if you do not want to buy more stable slots.  Just hope no one buys them. :)

I dont want to wait 7 days. They should remove that Bonding timer.  Is that next?

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Well using your fav statement "as I see it" you are requesting to use a benefit from a skill set, TAMER, without having the skills present on the char and UO should allow you to have more than 6 Stable slots on a non tamer.

What stops players from putting all the TAMING Skills on say a crafter/warrior/any body that can only control a 1 slot pet and getting 16 1 slot pets and then stoning the taming skill off and by your request now have 16 pet slots that they can pick from without any worry about re-stabling even though they are over limit because of their skill set not being a tamer anymore.
    How cool would that be for a warrior with
    5 Frenzied Ostard with pack instincts and fire beetles, giant beetles, lesser hiryu, swamp dragon,  ridgeback what ever you want and you get to have 16 total of them to pick and choose from.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    If you have said your piece in this thread, move along. Agree to disagree.
    edited April 2019
    we need a delete function
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    @popps ; easy to solve this problem just keep 5 pets. Then you do not have to worry about the bonus slots.

You want to get rid of the bonus slots just because you want to stone yours skills off and quit using the mastery. Very selfish of you.  I earn those bonus slots.  

I just hope the devs do not make changes based on players who refuse to understand game mechanics.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    popps said:

But actively using a Skill while not having it and simply having pets in a stable, at least to my viewing do not quite look the same...

Using a skill brings tangible benefits from using it so, using a 120 Blacksmithy skill while not having it because having put it on a Soulstone is one thing, an entire other is having some pets in the Stables which sit there and cannot be used...

I get your point & see where your going. It would be much more convenient for characters to have separate taming/nontaming stable slots w/ correlating access. 

This is something that would be extremely difficult to achieve technically as the dynamic aspect would be constantly changing with pet training among other factors. It’s much easier to give a static number & say here’s your number limit, stay within your bounds.

One major tangible benefit of being a tamer are additional taming slots. This benefit is yours regardless of use. Whether or not you chose to use them is your choice but the benefit is still there for taming/lore/vet templates. If you chose to remove your skill, currently, you lose that tangible benefit. Likewise, slots decrease. You can still remove whatever pet you wish from stables but not add to stables because you have not met the skill requirements for the tangible benefit of being a tamer. 

This makes perfect sense to me and has been part of UO since soulstone inception. It can be tricky at times but they could always fix it by removing taming/lore/vet skills from the soulstone gump on chars with full slots making it impossibly to remove taming related skills until stable slot requirements were met. Double edged sword here.

I prefer them leaving it as it has been & letting me adjust my gameplay accordingly.
    edited April 2019
    Acid_Rain said:
    they could always fix it by removing taming/lore/vet skills from the soulstone gump on chars with full slots making it impossibly to remove taming related skills until stable slot requirements were met.
    Outstanding idea then we would not have these types of non problems.  To bad the DEVs didn't have a real crystal ball to see into the future.
    Arron said:
    Then I will advise you to google Training Pets in Uo to learn from the sites available. I had a pre patch mare and used a site to learn how to train my pre Patch Night Mare. Also I am not sure if this is allowed or legal but, if you have someone you trust who is a tamer help you to transfer to another character who you can use your stoned skill to for stabling your pets for safe keeping till you are ready to use them or train tham after you have gained the knowledge you seek. I have never had to do this and like I said I am not sure if it is allowed or legal @ Rorschach please advise me if this is allowed.
    @Arron , are you referring to this Guide here https://www.uo-cah.com/training/legacy-nightmare ?

Is that Guide's content valid for any and all Legacy (pre-patch) pets in what a Tamer should or not do in order to preserve the specialty and uniqueness of that Legacy pet be it a Nightmare, Dragon, White Wyrm or any other Legacy (pre-patch) pet ?
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    edited April 2019
    @popps Yes but that guide is specifically for the Legacy Nightmare. You can use some of it for other pets but you would have to tailor it to your needs. If I were you I would use that guide only for the Legacy Nightmare. However when you are ready to try training other pets you should Copy your Tamer to the test center and try it there until you are happy with the resuults. If you are not happy with the results just delet that charater from test center and recopy again. 1 thing to remember is that you should do it at your own pace. No need to rush. You know what they say, haste makes waste. Take is slow and easy. When you are ready, you will know.
    also UOStratics has some outstanding pet guides
    Bilbo said:
    also UOStratics has some outstanding pet guides
    Yes, I saw that, but could not find anything "specific" about Legacy (pre-patch) Pets and what one needs to be carefull about when considering the training of them...
    Arron said:
    @ popps Yes but that guide is specifically for the Legacy Nightmare. You can use some of it for other pets but you would have to tailor it to your needs. If I were you I would use that guide only for the Legacy Nightmare. However when you are ready to try training other pets you should Copy your Tamer to the test center and try it there until you are happy with the resuults. If you are not happy with the results just delet that charater from test center and recopy again. 1 thing to remember is that you should do it at your own pace. No need to rush. You know what they say, haste makes waste. Take is slow and easy. When you are ready, you will know.
    Absolutely.

No need to rush.

That is why I Soulstoned all Taming Skills for the time being and left all Pets in the Stables and am using the characters with other skills....

Over time, a little at a time I will get myself educated reading here and there about the new (for me) mechanics of Pets' training and, hopefully, I will avoid making bad mistakes that could ruin permanently my existing Pets.
  • DukarloDukarlo Posts: 50
    I think the OP tried to "game" the system and when it didnt work out he came here to complain. The fact you can keep 15 plus stabled is more than anyone should need on 1 character. If one has a need for more they simply need make another tamer. A non tamer shouldn't be able to have high end pets in the stable to begin with. Having 15 plus pets with crazy skills and stats in the stable is a a powerful feature and trying to game it makes me have no sympathy whats8
    Dukarlo said:
    I think the OP tried to "game" the system and when it didnt work out he came here to complain. The fact you can keep 15 plus stabled is more than anyone should need on 1 character. If one has a need for more they simply need make another tamer. A non tamer shouldn't be able to have high end pets in the stable to begin with. Having 15 plus pets with crazy skills and stats in the stable is a a powerful feature and trying to game it makes me have no sympathy whats8
    ......whatsoever 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I sold all my prepatches. Their value is worth more to me selling than using. 

As for training. You can do test center or just tame and experiment train regular pets. It's not difficult once you figure it out but it's also very easy to completely miss adding something. 
    Dukarlo said:
    Excuse me ?

RIGHT at the Official UOWiki page at https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/pets-ownership/ it is clearly said 

"A stable slot increase token is available from Ultima Store at a cost of 500 sovereigns, this increases stable capacity by 3 slots. Up to 7 such tokens may be applied to any one character, taking the maximum possible total from all sources to 42."

So, it is part of the Design and actually promoted with the purchase of additional Stable Slots (which is what I did) at the UO Store with Sovereigns that a single character CAN reach 42 Pets in the Stable....

I do not understand why you are criticizing me for my 15 Pets while UO supports and promotes UP TO (currently) 42 Pets in one character's stable !!!
    It gave you your 3 extra slots. You took taming off your character. What did you expect? You could use your soul stones to circumvent your caps?
    No.

I had ALREADY Soulstoned my Taming skills because, upon returning to UO after years away, I felt overwhelmed by the amount of new knowledge that I had to learn and since I read posted frequently warnings about not using Legacy (pre-patch) pets until one learned all of the new ins and outs of pets' training, I decided to postpone using the Tamer until I had learned more about the new Taming mechANICS....

So, I Soulstoned, the Taming skills and picked others for which this character already had used 120 powerscrolls.

Then I happened to need to use a pack horse or pack Beetle with this character and realized that I could not stable it.

Went to purchase the extra Slots with the 500 Sovereigns thinking that it would have helped me in this immediate need to stable the pack horse/pack Bettle but realized that the 500 Sovereign spent did not help me an inch, in my immediate needs...

Sure, ONCE I will "eventually" resume playing the Tamer and, thus, pick the Taming skills back up from the Soulstones then I will eventually regain use of my stables + the 3 extra slots purchased with the Sovereign but this is not helping me at all in my current, immediate need to stable a regular pack horse/pack Beetle which requires no Taming skills to be controlled.

That is why I mentioned the separation of stable slots for "regular" pets which do not require Taming to control them and more high end pets which instead require to have Taming to be controlled.

This way, in situations like mine where a player Soulstoned the Taming skills for some reasons or changed their Mastery to something else other then Taming thus no longer being able to use the stables because full of pets, they could still be able to interact with the part of the stable that can accomodate regular pets not requiring any Taming skills to be controlled.
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    I will suggest if that happens again and you wish to stable a pet after taking out of the stables that you simply put you taming skills back on stable the pet then remove the tamin skills again and resume your previous activity.