dropped a piece of my obelisk and it went under my castle!

It was part of a quest chain from a year or so ago.....obelisk statue thingamy that is in 6 pieces. I was trying to place it at my castle (one of the new Robins Roost ones)  and the part I was trying to place (Heart of Earth) has gone under the floor.   I can't pick it up, I can't lock it down, I can't retrieve it......I have tried every tile all around it and nothing works.  Have paged a GM but have little hope of finding one before it decays.  Does any one have any suggestions on how I might grab it.....Pleeeese???

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    The first thing you will want to try, is to turn on your Circle of Transparency to see if you can actually locate the item under your house and reach it.
    If you cannot reach the item, please contact a GM as quickly as possible, and they will attempt to recover the item for you.

You can turn on your Circle of Transparency in the Classic Client by going to your Paper Doll and selecting the “Options” button. Then select the UO Symbol on the right hand side ( The second one up from the bottom ) and then click the “Use circle of transparency” checkbox.

In the Enhanced Client you can hit the ESC button, and then “User Settings”. On the “Graphics” tab you will find the “Use Circle of Transparency” checkbox.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited March 2019
    This happened to me a few years ago. It was Easter Sunday, and altho I did page a GM I did not expect (or get) any response due to the holiday. I tried everything I could think of, and watching this treasured item about to decay due to a bug had me in tears. In then end, I had to frantically empty and remove my entire house to retrieve the rare item that got stuck. Now, whenever I place something on the ground level that is even remotely rare, I use a 4-squared patch of raised gozas.

I hope a GM was online to help you save that item.
  • WendyWendy Posts: 31
    Hi Mervyn and Tanager, yes I did try the circle of trans, but I could see the item quite clearly as it is quite a tall piece and it poked through the floor.  Still could not pick it up as it was telling me that "I could not see it"    If I tried to lock it down I was told that "you can only do this if the item is in your house" .  There was no option to retrieve when I single clicked it.   I did page a GM...immediately but they rarely come to Oceania as we are in a different time zone and they are usually sleeping while we play.  In the end I watched it decay and said some suitable words in memorium to the slow death of my piece of sculpture........I'm still crying....just a little.....
    edited March 2019
    Try the cavern of discarded, there’s a chance
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited March 2019
    From what I can tell, the item falls ''through'' the floor and onto the world ground below. So it is no longer in the house - which means you cannot lock it down, retrieve it, etc. And since the floor now blocks line of sight, you cannot pick up either. Since the item is not inside the house, going into house customize mode does not kick it to the curb - I tried that also. Certain floors seem more prone to this than others - build-mode grass being the first culprit that comes to mind. I have tried to replicate this so I could bug report it, but have not figured out how to do it on purpose.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Wendy said:
    It was part of a quest chain from a year or so ago.....obelisk statue thingamy that is in 6 pieces. I was trying to place it at my castle (one of the new Robins Roost ones)  and the part I was trying to place (Heart of Earth) has gone under the floor.   I can't pick it up, I can't lock it down, I can't retrieve it......I have tried every tile all around it and nothing works.  Have paged a GM but have little hope of finding one before it decays.  Does any one have any suggestions on how I might grab it.....Pleeeese???
    What Shard. If LS I have a spare.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    if you hit control shift it brings up the item names near you perhaps this will work in the future 
  • SuperfrogSuperfrog Posts: 96
    hunter11 said:
    if you hit control shift it brings up the item names near you perhaps this will work in the future 
    Gives you "that object is out of sight"
    Mervyn said:
    I hope the OP read this

• ArronArron Posts: 485
    What does OP mean besides Over Powered?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Original Poster
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    TimSt said:
    Original Poster
    Thank you @TimSt
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Mervyn said:
    According to UOGuide it's only items from the trash barrel (rubbish bin) that end up here. Maybe @Kyronix can confirm?
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I happened to be down with the rats when a house went down and picked up some vet rewards. So I don't think it's only trash barrel items.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Tim said:
    I happened to be down with the rats when a house went down and picked up some vet rewards. So I don't think it's only trash barrel items.

The gargoyle Botter goes right to a trash bin after the house falls.  I go there also after he gets all the stuff.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.