NPCs do not accept cash

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited July 2018 in Bugs
Both clients, NPCs will not accept gold from your backpack when purchasing items and will only accept gold if deposited into the bank.

Expected result: gold to be taken primarily from backpack and secondarily from bank box. 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    It's been this way since the changes to the gold system.

This really needs changed, as it affects new and returning players who do not know about the changes. The ONLY thing currently that loose coin in the backpack can be used for is buying up skills (unless you count things like the Prism entry quest that you have to mark 10,000 gold as a quest item).
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    I think we may have lost an additional function here also. When you craft something, if you put the resources in a container, the items you craft would appear in that container. I can't remember but imagine if you used to put gold in a container, the items you purchase would fall in that container.

At the moment, all purchased items drop into the top level of the backpack as gold is (erroneously) taken from the bank.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2022
    “It is very sad to see someone review the game and come across this bug after just a few minutes of play that was reported 2018”
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=n6qftnMaajE
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    It’s been this way since I started about three rears ago.  Don’t have a problem with it.  It’s the norm for me.  The bank makes the payment.  It certainly is safer for the player.  No reason to carry cash around.

Except when you buy up training and expect the bank to pay and it does not.  You have to dump the gold just the right way on the npc’s head.  Hate to tell you how long it took for me to figure that one out.  Really UO you should change buying up training so it works the same as other npc purchases since you don’t provide any clue as to how that is suppose to be done.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Arnold7 said:
    It’s been this way since I started about three rears ago.  Don’t have a problem with it.  It’s the norm for me.  The bank makes the payment.  It certainly is safer for the player.  No reason to carry cash around.

Except when you buy up training and expect the bank to pay and it does not.  You have to dump the gold just the right way on the npc’s head.  Hate to tell you how long it took for me to figure that one out.  Really UO you should change buying up training so it works the same as other npc purchases since you don’t provide any clue as to how that is suppose to be done.
    This defines the UO player mentality we suffered so you must ..and it shall be our undoing 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    "When selling to NPCs up to a limit (i guess 10k) the NPCs will give you cash, but they will not accept cash..."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    "
    oops bit embarassing, someone with 107k subscribers tried to stream this and still got same error message from npc..

"

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited January 2023
    Yoshi said:
    "
    oops bit embarassing, someone with 107k subscribers tried to stream this and still got same error message from npc..

"

Took him 1 second to know to throw the 1k into the bank.  I saw no one embarrassed nor did he complain.

I guess if you do not have reading comprehension, this would be an issue. You do not have the required funds in the BANK!

You have to learn the mechanics for any game.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited January 2023
    “he said himself ‘what? I have 1000 gold…’

Why you need to have reading comprehension to buy things? currency is gold pieces.

Pawain you want to blame all new players and want to screw them immediately at any given opportunity. No wonder can’t get new players to game when they come across people like you.

He had helpers in chat to guide though, but it’s embarrassing for sure for such an obvious bug that was introduced when they changed the banking system to digital to be seen by so many people.

let us say you sell something to a vendor first, vendor gives you cash, you go to buy and he won’t accept the very cash vendor gave to you… 
    it’s so obvious a bug stop blaming brand new innocent potential paying customers who want to try the game

try and be welcoming to people”

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I would have said 'learn first, stream after' but this guy is trying to play like it's still 1997, he's not allowing for the fact that the game may have changed since then, and his memory of what it was is faulty anyway. He has no intention of reviewing it properly, he's just intending to dismiss it as not worth playing and laughing about its quirks. I don't think you could have picked a worse video to post here. 

There are 700+ pages of the player wiki to help new and returning players, not to mention many, many helpful veteran players who will answer questions in game, on forums and in Discord. 
    edited January 2023
    “You definitely used to be able to purchase with cash from backpack

Look at the second post in this thread predicting that this will cause confusion for new players and the only 2 videos I’ve seen of people trying out the game have hit this hurdle. Which is def a bug.”
    edited January 2023
    "think about what you're doing before essentially trash talking people who are trying the game.

You start off with low strength so can't hold much weight, even if you have max strength, you're carrying gold, you go to NPC and buy something, you now are carrying both a lot of gold + the items you bought cos NPC did a secret bank transfer and left you holding all your cash in hand despite the fact that if you just sold to NPC it gives you cash. And now you're probably over weight from carrying items + gold...

way to trash talk brand new subs"
    Well when NL comes out we shall see how the devs handle physical gold.  Would be nice if we did not have to loot mobs and instead get a bounty from the King that goes right into our bank for killing the beasts.  IMO we should not have Gold, just an account.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,895
    Pawain said:
    Well when NL comes out we shall see how the devs handle physical gold.  Would be nice if we did not have to loot mobs and instead get a bounty from the King that goes right into our bank for killing the beasts.  IMO we should not have Gold, just an account.
    Are we really still pretending that NL is gonna happen? 
  • Pawain said:

sounds convenient, then again that would make life a lot easier for gold farmers using afk scripts :-/ not a great idea to be honest
    Pawain said:

sounds convenient, then again that would make life a lot easier for gold farmers using afk scripts :-/ not a great idea to be honest
    Yes we must give the people using scripts advantages over the normal player....

The basic scripts have been made for years. They should not base the design on "what will scripters do", it should be based on what is fun and convenient for players who choose to play with no assistance.
    Pawain said:
    Pawain said:

The basic scripts have been made for years. They should not base the design on "what will scripters do", it should be based on what is fun and convenient for players who choose to play with no assistance.
    Are you asking for the easy button? 
    edited January 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Pawain said:

Putting the gold you earn into the bank is not an easy button. Asking for something you did not earn is easy button. Diablo got rid of that years ago.  One of the many reasons they have more players.

Should we go back to checks?  Troll somewhere else.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Pawain said:

Putting the gold you earn into the bank is not an easy button. Asking for something you did not earn is easy button. Diablo got rid of that years ago.  One of the many reasons they have more players.

Should we go back to checks?  Troll somewhere else.
    Seriously you are too busy too loot ? 
    edited January 2023
    "bug is NPC stopped accepting cash

expected result: NPC accept cash

your solution: delete all cash from game?"
    Yoshi said:
    "bug is NPC stopped accepting cash

expected result: NPC accept cash

your solution: delete all cash from game?"
    Yes all cash is in bank. Never have to touch it. Just like you get gold from BODs and when you kill someone. NL would be a great place to start that.
    "On Both clients it even tells you that you have gold available. In your backpack, but they don't accept. "

ec.png 657.2K
    cc.png 291.7K