UO would be dead without Event Moderators.

Not to be cynical but I truly believe the game would have died off years ago completely without the addition of Event Moderators. They remain the one constant thing that provides continued content for the game on a week to week basis and especially during those long content droughts that we often experience in between publish cycles.

The same can be applied to player versus player combat. We absolutely need a Player Versus Player event coordinator to host events on Atlantic there just simply isn't enough of a population left to warrant hosting PvP events on multiple shards these days. Rewards can simply be little statues given to the winners with their name and event all different kinds of rare hues for players to proudly put on display in their houses so people can see their achievements.

I am not sure if you've ever played World of Warcraft or even some of the player-run UO shards if you have not I would recommend taking some time and trying World of Warcraft and looking up PvP video's of the player run UO shards on youtube for idea's of PvP features you could design to make a successful PvP community. (Many other games provide similar features I am just unfamiliar with most)

I feel UO could quite easily design new engaging PvP battlegrounds similar to what you can experience in WoW some of which player run shards are already providing their playerbase.

Warsong Gulch is a classic WoW battleground built around Capture the Flag this is an event that UO should totally adapt to our game to provide players with structured objective based PvP. Most player-run UO shards have this type event already.

Temple of Kotmogu is another battleground that could be easily adapted to fit into the UO world with the objective to hold an Orb of Power with additional points getting accumulated holding it in the center of the map. The Orb carrier takes increased damage so orbs change hands quite frequently.

Arathi Basin is another battleground that would also excel in UO with 5 control points throughout the battleground to control. Teamwork and Strategy would be a must for any team to successfully hold the most bases as possible to assure victory.

If you completely randomize the team's it would encourage all players to participate because no one team would be a prebuilt 'stacked' team. Random matchmaking of teams would force enemy's to work together to beat their friends it would really be good for the game for once a week to engage with people they normally wouldn't and maybe even pass on wisdom to their peers.

Please note I also believe standard PvP matches like (1vs1,2vs2,5vs5,Last Man Standing) would still benefit from random matchmaking especially 5vs5 as some groups struggle to have 5 players on at any given time and could find it a challenge to fill out a team and the same group winning every week would discourage participation. But for a 2vs2 I think preset teams would be totally acceptable.

This would be an amazing opportunity for the game's growth because you could upload footage from the event's to the official UO YouTube channel every week so people looking up the game will stumble across the video's and get interested in participating. With the game's Endless Journey live there is no better opportunity to draw players in then showing them continued videos of PvP events that have happened.

I think it's time the PvP community gets their own Event Moderator's to host specifically designed content for them. I am sure there are countless other idea's out there for types of events that could be hosted but please show us the respect we deserve and get us weekly hosted events that everyone can participate in and enjoy we have been neglected long enough. We really need something to look forward to every week to bring people out and playing. We also need the video of the events to be regularly put on YouTube so anyone searching UO might see it or people randomly stumble across it for free advertising of the game.

Comments

• KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    I respectfully disagree. All the EM's really are, are pixel generators for the "rares collectors/RMT"people (FYI, I'm NOT saying they ALL are, but A LOT of them are!) can get their drop, to sell, to then turn around and sell the gold for $$$. There is no story or shard "camaraderie" any more. All you hear is whining about "what's the drop", "is this a drop night" "quit talking, let fight". The people there JUST for a drop outnumber the people there for a nice shard event probably 10:1. I personally feel that UO would be better off without the EM events. Spend the budget $$$ on more GM's perhaps. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited March 2019
    KHAN said:
    I respectfully disagree. ... I personally feel that UO would be better off without the EM events. Spend the budget $$$ on more GM's perhaps. 
    100% this..

I don't know when the last time was I played UO on a weekend. Every other game has event weekends every week these days.

UO otoh is happy if players log in for an hour or click a statue. "events" :D

If you only got a hammer and the nail thing..

Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited March 2019
    KHAN said:
    I respectfully disagree. All the EM's really are, are pixel generators for the "rares collectors/RMT"people (FYI, I'm NOT saying they ALL are, but A LOT of them are!) can get their drop, to sell, to then turn around and sell the gold for $$$. There is no story or shard "camaraderie" any more. All you hear is whining about "what's the drop", "is this a drop night" "quit talking, let fight". The people there JUST for a drop outnumber the people there for a nice shard event probably 10:1. I personally feel that UO would be better off without the EM events. Spend the budget $$$ on more GM's perhaps. 
    This to me seems more a problem caused by a certain type of PLAYERS than that by the EMs...
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Ivenor said:
    KHAN said:
    This to me seems more a problem caused by a certain type of PLAYERS than that by the EMs...
    Another idea might be to either make a "drops" shard bound, or do away with them completely. I would be willing to give the events another chance if that happened. But I still feel the $$$ spent on EM's could be better spent elsewhere. @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    Ivenor said:
    KHAN said:
    They get exactly the type of players they ask for ;)

Make drops shard bound, tenfold the amount of drops and you will see less toxic and more friendly people again.

Ofc won't happen as some of those will cry Mesanna a river and threaten to close their 20 accounts. Business as usual
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    Ivenor said:
    KHAN said:
    Though it really is the EMs in a way, because that is the type of player who tends to apply for the position now. Many of the RPers and storytellers have reached their limit on the verbal abuse received at events and complaints about their events taking too long because people just want the drop. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I don't like to PVP in UO, but I do know about the battlegrounds in WOW...
    and I really enjoyed doing them... cause I don't get looted there...
    I was once attacked repeatedly by a guild/alliance member in UO & looted constantly... so any time that happens, makes me remember that feeling... a helplessness

when I first read this post, I was like NO NO NO
    but the more I think about it...  There are people who do enjoy PVP

what if... the arena's in game have a statue you can click on
    where you can enter a battle... 
    once the battle is full... all people enter
    each arena can have a different theme (capture the flag, orb of power, etc)
    reward could be gold deposited into city treasuries
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    Events take at least an hour to do, which means you have to be on at that time plus sit through and fight until its completed.  The time the player invests in it should give them a drop every time.  Right now its just another corrupted system much like the people who were involved in the housing scam in the other thread.  Ive been in voice chats where 3-4 people were EM's on other shards, they share information with their friends and take advantage of the entire system.  It should just go away.  These issues are directly mesanna's fault as she allows players to be EM's and play the game at the same time.  There should be strict rules where if you work for the game in anyway you cannot login to the game as a player.
    edited March 2019
    a
    Faeryl said:
    Ivenor said:
    KHAN said:
    Though it really is the EMs in a way, because that is the type of player who tends to apply for the position now. Many of the RPers and storytellers have reached their limit on the verbal abuse received at events and complaints about their events taking too long because people just want the drop. 
    There is a  way to block the verbal abuses, at least in the preliminary pahses of Events, the ones that happens in the EM Halls: Silencing the players, as happens at the M&G.
    @Ivenor except the EMs aren't given that power. They have no power to stop anything without calling in Mesanna.
    Events take at least an hour to do, which means you have to be on at that time plus sit through and fight until its completed.  The time the player invests in it should give them a drop every time.  Right now its just another corrupted system much like the people who were involved in the housing scam in the other thread.  Ive been in voice chats where 3-4 people were EM's on other shards, they share information with their friends and take advantage of the entire system.  It should just go away.  These issues are directly mesanna's fault as she allows players to be EM's and play the game at the same time.  There should be strict rules where if you work for the game in anyway you cannot login to the game as a player.
    Personally I feel there should be no drops. The EM program is supposed to add to the game in terms of story and interaction. The drops merely attract the greedy and impatient who do little but complain the entire time, which lessens the enjoyment of those there for the actual purpose.

Having been to probably a couple hundred events since the program started, I can say through my experience that it's been increasingly difficult to follow any story and interact with the EM RPCs amidst all the spell spam, summon spam, whining, insults, and harassment from many of those solely there to line their pockets with a drop.
    edited March 2019
    Faeryl said:
    @ Ivenor except the EMs aren't given that power. They have no power to stop anything without calling in Mesanna.
    @Faeryl -  I know it: what I was saying is that IMO they should have that power. GMs have the power to go inside PRIVATE homes, why the EMs shouldn't have the power to silence some hooligan in the EM Halls?
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    Events take at least an hour to do, which means you have to be on at that time plus sit through and fight until its completed.  The time the player invests in it should give them a drop every time.  
    Someone normally gives me a shout when boss is about to be attackable, turn up, get drop, leave. 30 seconds for 100+mill item. They should drop only in people’s packs who actually turned up from the start, I feel quite guilty at how many are in my house considering I don’t even have space to display them all.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I don't like to PVP in UO, but I do know about the battlegrounds in WOW...
    and I really enjoyed doing them... cause I don't get looted there...
    I was once attacked repeatedly by a guild/alliance member in UO & looted constantly... so any time that happens, makes me remember that feeling... a helplessness

when I first read this post, I was like NO NO NO
    but the more I think about it...  There are people who do enjoy PVP

what if... the arena's in game have a statue you can click on
    where you can enter a battle... 
    once the battle is full... all people enter
    each arena can have a different theme (capture the flag, orb of power, etc)
    reward could be gold deposited into city treasuries

There hasn't been real looting since insurance. The most you can lose now are a little supplies and a minor amount of gold.

Your arena idea is basically the whole design of VvV. Capture the town. Players just don't hardly show.

BTW: The Event Item of the Event Cycle of these days on Europa AAMOF ***IS*** Shard Bound.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    Id rather they be on a clicky for 1 hour after the event.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Ivenor said:
    BTW: The Event Item of the Event Cycle of these days on Europa AAMOF ***IS*** Shard Bound.
    Correction: no, it seems not. Boh... :/
  • hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    i think that the ones there whining and what not should just shut up do their dmg and either get a drop or go home when its done no crying just shut up and kill if you just want a drop or heal but let the people who want to role play continue with their fun... im one whos gone to line my pocket things in uo are expensive its an easy way to get gold im not much into role play outside a few rooms in my house <span>:smiley:</span> but im not going to ruin a whole groups fun while im trying to do it ill even help them when i can but more respect would be nice all around 
    hunter11 said:
    i think that the ones there whining and what not should just shut up do their dmg and either get a drop or go home when its done no crying just shut up and kill if you just want a drop or heal but let the people who want to role play continue with their fun... im one whos gone to line my pocket ***things in uo are expensive*** its an easy way to get gold im not much into role play outside a few rooms in my house <span>:smiley:</span> but im not going to ruin a whole groups fun while im trying to do it ill even help them when i can but more respect would be nice all around 
    Sure, they are.

Punctation in a Forum Post instead, IS FREE!!! :D ;)
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    No....no it wouldn't (and I didn't bother reading this post after reading your other long winded one).
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Ivenor said:
    Faeryl said:
    @ Ivenor except the EMs aren't given that power. They have no power to stop anything without calling in Mesanna.
    @ Faeryl -  I know it: what I was saying is that IMO they should have that power. GMs have the power to go inside PRIVATE homes, why the EMs shouldn't have the power to silence some hooligan in the EM Halls?
    No they shouldn't. EMs are just players. Does "Clops" ring a bell? GMs are paid professionals, not random players.
  • LandicineLandicine Posts: 10
    JollyJade said:
    No they shouldn't. EMs are just players. Does "Clops" ring a bell? GMs are paid professionals, not random players.
    EMs are paid to do what they do, so I think we can expect some professionalism from them or contractual rule-following at the very least. That said, even full-time GMs have broken the rules in the past. Google GM Darwin if you need an example. I think as with all employees, "Trust, but verify." Any abilities given to EMs that can interact with players needs safeguards and/or monitoring.
    Landicine said:
    JollyJade said:
    EMs are paid to do what they do, so I think we can expect some professionalism from them or contractual rule-following at the very least. That said, even full-time GMs have broken the rules in the past. Google GM Darwin if you need an example. I think as with all employees, "Trust, but verify." Any abilities given to EMs that can interact with players needs safeguards and/or monitoring.
    Idk, every insight I got into this group of people made it look like a huge kindergarden. Not to be trusted with any powers if you ask me. There might be exceptions among them.