Name change deletes macros and settings

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
Both Clients

Using a name change token or logging out under the effect of disguise kit or incognito will result in macros and character settings being deleted. 

Expected result: for character data to be saved under a character I.D number that does not change instead of saved in a folder of the character's name. 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    And the same thing happens when you Xfer shards and you get a new Char ID#
  • Mervyn said:
    Both Clients

Using a name change token or logging out under the effect of disguise kit or incognito will result in macros and character settings being deleted. 

Expected result: for character data to be saved under a character I.D number that does not change instead of saved in a folder of the character's name. 
    Not a terrible idea. It'd make it more difficult to manually copy folders around unless you knew what you are doing.

As an example, if going in alphabetical order, you could have a 0101 folder. The first 01 being Arirang and the second 01 being character slot 1. 0305 would be Atlantic 5th character slot. If you transfer then you'd still have to copy folders over. But if you changed names it shouldn't affect it.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    The point is, to not have to copy/paste files on your pc in the first place. Granted there will be occasions where you may wish to copy macros and setting from one character to another without having to redo them, but that would be up to the end user to copy/paste if they wish to save time. 

I've taken a look and I can't seem to see ANY instructions on the uo wiki on copying/pasting these files as a means of copying macros. 

While I'm sure it's perfectly legal to copy paste these uo files. The Rules of conduct state:
    "You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Broadsword Online Games does not specifically authorize you to modify."

But then again the rules of conduct also state:
    "You will not intentionally use or share any bug found within Ultima Online, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the Ultima Online service."

So I guess we need to shut this website down?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• Mervyn said:
    The point is, to not have to copy/paste files on your pc in the first place. Granted there will be occasions where you may wish to copy macros and setting from one character to another without having to redo them, but that would be up to the end user to copy/paste if they wish to save time. 

I've taken a look and I can't seem to see ANY instructions on the uo wiki on copying/pasting these files as a means of copying macros. 

While I'm sure it's perfectly legal to copy paste these uo files. The Rules of conduct state:
    "You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Broadsword Online Games does not specifically authorize you to modify."

But then again the rules of conduct also state:
    "You will not intentionally use or share any bug found within Ultima Online, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the Ultima Online service."

So I guess we need to shut this website down?
    From a programming standpoint, I don’t see that being possible at this point. Also, copying macros isn’t modifying code. 
    edited March 2019
    Not possible? I’m sure the devs are competent enough to somehow prevent all macros and settings being deleted when casting a spell. 

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Pedantic comment: macros are code.  They are little interpreted programs written in a programming language this is unique to them.  

I am just glad that the EC uses XML and I can edit the macros in an XML editor to duplicate lines quickly.

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Unless things have changed in the last few years this information is not accurate.
    In my experience logging out with a different name simply causes a new file to be made in the new name, the old file, with all macros etc, is still there, intact, under the old name. In case of a name change, simply log out, remove the new file and change the name on the old file to the new name.
    edited March 2019
    Petra, yes the files are still there on the hard drive. The actual files do not get deleted, the macros do. Meaning, you log into your char and the macros and settings are gone, and you have to do a hack outside of the game and copy paste some uo files to get your macros and settings back. 
    The end user is not supposed to be copy/pasting .cfg files etc after casting a spell. This is not normal game behaviour.

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    But your description is inaccurate. The macros are NOT deleted. The game recognises the new name as a new character, a character that has no macros. The macros are still there, intact, under the old name.  No .cfg files are opened, simply the name changed, and not in 'program files' but in 'documents'.

What you are asking is that when you change the character name in game, that change should also be applied to the name of the file on your pc.  I'm not sure that's possible.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    In the case of a disguise kit... either remove the disguise before logging, or log in, remove the disguise, log out, and reboot UO. Not that difficult.

And I'd hardly consider copying a pasting the macro file to another folder as "modifying" anything. You're not really doing anything that you couldn't normally do in game. By that logic, I'd also have "modified" my characters to be able to save their journal logs, because I had to go into the actual files to do so. Just checking the option in game doesn't work.
    edited March 2019
    I have made no comments about the “difficulty” of modifying the files as a workaround. Many bugs have work arounds. 

Also, I happen to agree with the younger person who reported this issue to me that this is not working as intended if you find yourself sans macros after using a token. Call me overly sympathetic.

• FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    And I said nothing about the difficulty of modifying files. I explained how to prevent or fix your macros when using a disguise. It's not a "workaround" as you call it. This is how the game has worked since... forever. It's an inconvenience of design, not a bug. In other words, pain in the ass, but working as intended.
    So if something doesn’t work properly from day 1 that makes it okay. I didn’t realise when uo was released it was error free sorry.

shall we just call all of the bugs an inconvenience of design? 

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Mervyn said:
    I have made no comments about the “difficulty” of modifying the files as a workaround. Many bugs have work arounds. 

Also, I happen to agree with the younger person who reported this issue to me that this is not working as intended if you find yourself sans macros after using a token. Call me overly sympathetic.

Why is anybody reporting anything to you. Are you telling them that you are a rep for UO?  Why don't you tell them to come here and report it themselves or better yet tell them to fill out a bug report.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some posts have been removed. Baiting and trolling.
    Name change tokens were only released this decade.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2023
    "same issue,
    Player named more than one char the same name, causing a conflict in macros/settings

Having to purchase name change deed for player to resolve issue
    also having to purchase a bo'oh'o'wa'er"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,895
    Yoshi said:
    "same issue,
    Player named more than one char the same name, causing a conflict in macros/settings

Having to purchase name change deed for player to resolve issue
    also having to purchase a bo'oh'o'wa'er"
    Make copy of character file in  user data rename it to new character after you use token move renamed file back into user data
    edited May 2023
    “Yeah but innocent person is still having to purchase name change token.
    there was no warning given or anything when he created a second char with the same name.

the expected result not being adhered to has caused this issue:

its why I am buying it for him, he is innocent just trying to play game”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    "(There's an option for uoassist settings to be saved this way but is not enabled by default)"

ass.png 37.2K