Let's play UO, Classic Client Options with Mervyn

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited March 2019 in General Discussions
Upon a fresh install UO, I was pleasantly surprised at how little options I recommend changing from the default settings. 

But there are a few:

Uncheck Run mouse in separate thread, this will stop the uo cursor from flashing when you move it on win10. (requires full client restart to take effect)

(Some people might want to also uncheck pathfinding with double-right-click as it's very easy to double-click by accident and get yourself into all sorts of trouble.)

Check Use circle of transparency so you can see behind walls
Reduce the skills inform to 1, this will give you more control over your skills and feel like you're gaining faster. 

These Large containers are lovely, and opening the corpses are a real time and effort saver. 

You'll probably want to know if someone is grey to just you, or if they're grey to everyone, before you shout at your friends for not helping. 
I can't envisage many situations where you'll need to attack your party or pets (this option will only block non targeted attack in war mode) 
(Blocking war on Friendly is not recommended as at time of publish this currently blocks war on both friendly and innocent and you'll find yourself unable to attack an innocent, with or without querying criminal actions)

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    edited March 2019
    While my cursor flashes with running the mouse in a separate thread... I find that far less of a nuisance than having it bouncing around erratically when I mouse on or off an open container, or having the target cursor either remain or simply not appear at all if it's unchecked.

Though I also have the issue of it unchecking itself every. single. time. I. patch.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    Faeryl, what version of windows are you using?
    I think maybe you are right, i'll look into it. 

I know on windows 7 you can stop the cursor from flashing by searching in windows for "performance options", under visual effects tab, uncheck the box which reads "enable desktop composition" 
    However this option does not exist on windows 10. 

Does anyone know another solution to stopping the mouse flashing on win10?
    I once read that just setting "adjust for best performance" in windows 10 under the same menu has the same effect however that didn't work for me. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited March 2019
    Faeryl, make sure you log out of UO properly and close the client.  Don't just click the X in the corner because your settings won't be saved.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    Margrette said:
    Faeryl, make sure you log out of UO properly and close the client.  Don't just click the X in the corner because your settings won't be saved.
    I do log out properly, and the option remains checked until the next time a patch goes through, where it then unchecks itself. It does this everytime.

@Mervyn, I'm running Windows 10
    Faeryl is quite right, you definitely do want to run the mouse in a separate thread. My error here. 

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Nice info. 
    The Delay before tool tip appears was set to max on all my accounts a few months ago (not by me).  In a different thread you mentioned that adjustment for someone else and it is nice to see my buffs again. Thanks!

Made a new account just in case this one gets banned here? >:)

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited March 2019
    The tooltip delay was defaulted low, (not exact lowest) but low enough for me not to warrant mentioning reducing it.
    I was also pleased to see the uo gamewindow size wasn’t defaulted to the smallest size.

(I don’t need to worry about being banned here anymore since they introduced a multi-strike system)

• I like ctrl + C for circle of transparency. Normally I don't like the look of transparency but it is useful at times. Otherwise some useful tips.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Is there a macro for night sight? I love the look of UO at night :)
  • Mervyn said:
    The tooltip delay was defaulted low, (not exact lowest) but low enough for me not to warrant mentioning reducing it.
    I was also pleased to see the uo gamewindow size wasn’t defaulted to the smallest size.

(I don’t need to worry about being banned here anymore since they introduced a multi-strike system)

Oh Gawd... where's this at? lol New rules should be stickied at the top lol

• Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited March 2019
    Also checking yours to mine... client that is.... I don't have the mouse issue in Windows 10. So there might be something else going on with that. Unless it's an EC issue....
  • Enable Large Container Gumps. This is a blessing and a curse. Much like when people use the EC to stock their vendors and don't use the view as CC option. If you put stuff in say a locked down bookcase, for a public display for people, and they aren't using this feature they are just going to just see a pile of junk in the corner. Now if I could use this with my secure chests that would be useful, but as is not so much. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to buy something off an EC stocked vendor and all I saw was a pile of junk. I've yet to need something so bad I switched over to the EC client to get it lol. Soooo something to keep in mind.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Mervyn said:

This statement is not accurate.
     :D 
    Yes remember to ask all Returners that use CC if they know about the larger screen and the big containers.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited March 2019
    Or ask Returners if they have tried EC?  >:)

Just because you don't like it they may.
    It could even be the deciding factor if they stay or not. 
    edited March 2019
    Sorry, I play a tamer and when I show them what they can turn a Hiryu into now they would instantly quit if they saw the Plucked Chicken.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
     :D 
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Pawain said:
    Sorry, I play a tamer and when I show them what they can turn a Hiryu into now they would instantly quit if they saw the Plucked Chicken.

Yeah I tried the EC for a little bit at spawns (got tired of dying because target nearest was always locking onto some ghost image instead of the stuff casting like mad at me).  There was a char with this big green blob just plowing thru stuff, when we were done and settled I asked her what the hell that pet was, she said Hiryu and laughed at me saying she knew what client I was in since I had to ask lol.

I cannot possibly imagine the mindset that would have released that live...