A Question for the Devs about Tiny Pets ...

JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
edited March 2019 in General Discussions
So, I've spent the better part of 13 years playing UO without a tamer - until about 8 months ago now. My first pets were given to me fully trained as gifts by friends (for finally making a tamer) and I only just started taming and training my own pets about two months ago.

I'm finding I actually really love it, so I started taming and training unique pets for my friends who gave me pets to begin with.

I'm down to a friend who will be happy with no pet, so I'm training an especially unique pet no one would think to tame and train ... (I mean, if he won't be happy with anything he doesn't train himself, why not have fun with it right?)

So here's my issue, @Mesanna / @Kryonix / @Bleak ...

Giant Beetles are tamed at 1 slot and can be trained up to 5 slot ... but Cats, Dogs, Eagles, Rabbits (what I personally classify as "tiny pets") can only be trained up to a 3 slot.

Why the discrepancy? The tiny pet I'm currently training started at 29hp and 50str ... with only two slots' worth of training points to bring it up. But people can tame a 100hp Giant Beetle and they have four slots' worth of training points to use with it?

Please, at the very least, let us train tiny pets up to 4 slot. It's not like we'll be taking a domestic cat to fight Roof bosses ... but ... if you can tame and train them, at least let us make it worthwhile.
~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    I think instead, lesser hiryus and giant beetles should only be able to be trained to 3 slot. That would solve the discrepancy issue. As i've pointed out before, makes no sense that a lesser pet can be trained to be more powerful than a greater pet.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• TimTim Posts: 790
    The sense in letting a lesser pet be trained to the power of a greater pet is the extra amount of effort put in. 
  • — Well, I FINALLY got my tiny pet to 100% to move it from 1 -> 2 slot (after a week) ... and it had a little over 2200 training points for that one slot ... so I suppose that’s not so horrible ...

But still. Letting tiny pets be trained to a 4th slot would still give a few more training points if all three slots were the normal 1500 each.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • XrisXris Posts: 130
    Bulls go to 4 slots, I have one bonded but haven't trained it yet. Doing it just for fun though. 
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    I'd love to train a 5 slot necro-mage rabbit of death. A magery frog would be kind of fun too. And a battle pig with whirlwind.  Definitely need a battle pig.
  • — I’m glad I’m not the only one who would rather see other one slot tiny pets go to 4 or 5 slots, and not just the small handful that can do it now.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    The last damage increase is at the 4-5 slot.  Pets are a lot less effective at 4 slot.

There are many pet types that we would like to increase to 5 slot.  Many are of the spider, dog and cat species.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    The last damage increase is at the 4-5 slot.  Pets are a lot less effective at 4 slot.

There are many pet types that we would like to increase to 5 slot.  Many are of the spider, dog and cat species.
    The Dev's are just skeered there will be a killer rabbit of caerbannog runnin loose since they have yet to introduce the holy hand grenade of Antioch into the game.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Ni!
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited March 2019
    Pawain said:

The Dev's are just skeered there will be a killer rabbit of caerbannog runnin loose since they have yet to introduce the holy hand grenade of Antioch into the game.
    That's actually what i named one of my pink rabbits. "Beast of Caerbannog". I trained it up to 125 STR/DEX/INT and GM Wrest/Tact/Resist/Anat before the Pet Revamp even came out, lol.

The Phoenix reminded me of the Beast of Caerbannog back in the day.
    "Oh look! A cute, little red birdy!"...5 seconds later..."RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"
  • Hey, the Phoenix is a fairly beast mode pet. I’ve trained up two with magery, ai, and goo. All 110’s. They’re good with spawns and Roof. [[Just have to be wary of the discord from Juo’Nar or they’ll release themselves.]]
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• TimTim Posts: 790
    I like the idea. 
    But as with the Phoenix a certain unnamed group of players will kill the idea because they can't target them. 

PS for some reason my auto correct wants to spell "certain" as "cretan" strange but true.
  • Tim said:
    I like the idea. 
    But as with the Phoenix a certain unnamed group of players will kill the idea because they can't target them. 

PS for some reason my auto correct wants to spell "certain" as "cretan" strange but true.
    Lol, yeah. I was one of the first to tame a Phoenix on TC then proceed to laugh my ass off when i saw how fast they were. They have up to 300 DEX, and back then the movement speed of pets wasn't capped, so the Phoenix was faster than a speedhacking Usain Bolt on crack. Even speedhackers were chased down and caught by the Phoenix, and it'd slow them down if given Dismount. I viewed them as an "Anti-Speedhacker Pet". The fact that they had a tiny graphic too combined with that speed made it hilarious. Total Beast of Caerbannog then. They nerfed that by capping pet speed at 190 DEX, and turning the tiny red eagle into a big peacock.
  • Aw, I like how the Phoenix looks. I mean, aside the from the fact it looks really pink instead of orange, yellow, and red ... but still.

Very few people have a bird on GL, so when I pull mine out of the stables I get a lot of questions. LoL.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    I want a 5 slot toad with discord. I would name it Hypnotoad.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!