Publish 99 TC1 Release 2

KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
edited August 2018 in Test Center
For discussion related to Publish 99 Release 2

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2018

@Kyronix

1. The restrictions list says both Veteran's and EJ have a skill cap of 700 + 20 based on months active. Aren't all accounts currently at 720 points regardless of age? I seem to remember holy hell a couple of years ago when the age requirement for skill cap increases was removed (am I remembering incorrectly?). Is this just a typo, or are skill cap age restrictions for existing accounts being reinstated?

2. EJ is limited to "only basic ore and wood" for harvesting restrictions, but EJ does "Receive Mondain’s Legacy Resource Rewards". So, EJ players can't get special resources through resource harvesting, but do get them through other means (like Trade Orders, or loot drops?). Just making sure I'm reading that correctly.

Thanks and it's looking good. Hadn't even thought of 1/10th of those restrictions you all had to take into account.

The new store stuff looks good too. That Deluxe Starter Kit seems to be tailored for a specific friend of mine.

-Arroth
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    edited March 2018
    I, along with several guildmates, have reservations regarding the alacrity token and the dungeon award points token in the deluxe package.

In regards to the alacrity token, why add something so powerful that diminishes the value of the alacrity scrolls already available in game? Sure, it's account bound, but allowing up to ten people to be influenced by it? That pretty much murders the market for the fifteen minute scrolls.

As for the dungeon awards token... that's essentially giving people a free Blackthorn artifact, which is likely worth far more to people to sell than to use.
  • Faeryl said:
    I, along with several guildmates, have reservations regarding the alacrity token and the dungeon award points token in the deluxe package.

In regards to the alacrity token, why add something so powerful that diminishes the value of the alacrity scrolls already available in game? Sure, it's account bound, but allowing up to ten people to be influenced by it? That pretty much murders the market for the fifteen minute scrolls.

As for the dungeon awards token... that's essentially giving people a free Blackthorn artifact, which is likely worth far more to people to sell than to use.
    It will be interesting to see how much this package costs. If it's low enough, I may just stop farming Blackthorn and buy one or two packages.
  • ThalonThalon Posts: 61
    edited March 2018
    Faeryl said:

While the Alacrity Token is undeniably better than the Scrolls
    1) the Alacrity token is obivously marketed to new players. Can new players afford your shop?
    2) Vets rarely need to train multiple Skills so Token is largely wasted. Even if it is a new character most Vets probably have Soulstones with high level skills to use. Scrolls help fill in what is missing. Why pay real money for the Token if you have in-game gold and a Scroll will serve just as well?
    3) Metaphorically, the token is a limosine, the Scrolls are a motorcycle. Not as stylish, one fits one, but it will get you to where you want to go. 

Kyronix said:
    For discussion related to Publish 99 Release 2

Regarding Endless Journey Restrictions, Bank Box is completely unusable as intended and mentioned in the notes. Would it be possible to allow EJ players to View but not Use or Remove Bank Box items on final publish?
    Thalon, Merchant Sailor of Pacific for fine Tools, Clothing, and Potions!
    Blacksmithing, Carpentry and Inscription services offered through afilliated subcontractors.
    Exotic beasts available with proper authorization from the Crown.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited March 2018
    @Kyronix

Would you be able to give more specifics on how the Token of Skill Alacrity works? On TC1, when I activate it I get a message "You have enabled your new player skill gain aura", followed a few seconds later by "Your new player skill gain bonus period is now over." Is this just a bug, or are there other restrictions to it? (Need to be EJ, need to be non-maxed skills, etc.).

Also, as far as the week long timer goes. Since it appears I can toggle the Token on and Off, is the timer a week from the point of purchase? The point of first activation? Or a week of total "activated" time?

Thanks!
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

Another question is regarding EJ accounts not being able to fight EM created monsters.

Does that restriction also include PEC monsters, or is it specifically EMs?
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    I have a question regarding where it says Bank Box on that list.

Miscellaneous

Players                        Paid account          EJ Account

Bank Box                     yes                          No

EJ Players will not have access to bank boxes??  WHY?

Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Okay a few thoughts:

While having the newbie armor blessed is nice...it doesn't teach NEW players about insurance and loss of items...maybe have the blessed timed for a week or so until they get a handle on the game..I don't know just my thoughts.

The rewards that you get from the collections or Blackthorns should be account bound too, because as stated above they can just get a few arties and sell them for a lot of gold.

Also I heard something about a new player experience....where is that? What are NEW..actual new, never been in UO before, where do they learn about...insurance? How to get around? What moongates are, how to find your weapons special moves? How to recharge their runebooks...Things like that..is that coming? Please tell me that you're not just gonna direct them to the wiki...they need something IN GAME like there used to be..I have faith in you Devs!

Also in regards to the bank...I did read something about EJ Accounts having a storage vault? Is that not in this publish or how do we access that?

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later!

OH about BOD's...since EJ accounts will only be allowed to get regular ingots and plain wood...will the BOD's they get reflect that? Just simple cheap semi-worthless BOD's just so they can get a feel for what filling them is like and what they can get with points? People seem to be worried about BOD scripting....but if you're just gonna get junk low-end BOD's I don't see a HUGE issue...still a minor issue because those scripts can fill and turn in BOD's all day long and still bank up enough points.....OR maybe make it so EJ accounts cannot SPEND the points they collect doing BOD's....they get get them and see what items they can buy for them but they aren't allowed to spend them unless they sub..THAT would be good

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Larisa said:
    OH about BOD's...since EJ accounts will only be allowed to get regular ingots and plain wood...will the BOD's they get reflect that? Just simple cheap semi-worthless BOD's just so they can get a feel for what filling them is like and what they can get with points? People seem to be worried about BOD scripting....but if you're just gonna get junk low-end BOD's I don't see a HUGE issue...still a minor issue because those scripts can fill and turn in BOD's all day long and still bank up enough points.....OR maybe make it so EJ accounts cannot SPEND the points they collect doing BOD's....they get get them and see what items they can buy for them but they aren't allowed to spend them unless they sub..THAT would be good
    Endless supply of BOD Script BOTS with a few BOTS to fill them all and a 100/120 skill BOT to turn them all in and get the better BODS and soon the market for the honest player will be flooded making crafters even more useless.
    Bilbo said:
    Larisa said:
    Endless supply of BOD Script BOTS with a few BOTS to fill them all and a 100/120 skill BOT to turn them all in and get the better BODS and soon the market for the honest player will be flooded making crafters even more useless.
    UGH this weird quote thing....I'm saying if they turn in junk bods and get junk bods in return it's not gonna be worth it, they won't GET better bods

OR have the bod's account bound like everything else so they can't transfer them....most of the EJ stuff should be bound to keep all of that scripting stuff out imo

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited March 2018
    Will characters on a newly created account that is in Endless Journey status have 40 hours of "young" character status?

If you have multiple UO accounts under one master account, can some of them be in active/paid status while others are in Endless Journey/unpaid status (assuming they have been inactive the requisite amount of time) and others still under the same master account are inactive (not active and not Endless Journey)?
    Larisa said:
    Bilbo said:
    Larisa said:
    UGH this weird quote thing....I'm saying if they turn in junk bods and get junk bods in return it's not gonna be worth it, they won't GET better bods
    They will use collector BOTS and those BOTs will hand them over to Fill BOTs and they will hand them over to Turn-In BOTs that will be GM or better so they will get better BODs by the truck load.
    edited March 2018
    Larisa said:
    OR have the bod's account bound like everything else so they can't transfer them....most of the EJ stuff should be bound to keep all of that scripting stuff out imo
    There are only two things Account Bound are Shad Shields and Soulstones and by doing what you suggest punishes the honest player yet again.
    I said account bound for Endless Journey accounts ONLY....so they can't be abused, it's not punishing the honest player at all.

edited March 2018
    Drakelord said:
    I have a question regarding where it says Bank Box on that list.

Miscellaneous

Players                        Paid account          EJ Account

Bank Box                     yes                          No

EJ Players will not have access to bank boxes??  WHY?

Think about it Drake. Ultima Online has always been a subscription based game. Broadsword still has expernses and would like players to continue subscriptions.The restrictions against mining rare resources, earning powerscrolls, etc would be meaningless if veteran players going off subscription still have access to their Bank Box. There are enough resources tucked in for most veteran players to not need to participate in Shard economies.

Without a Bank Box, EJ players will have to purchase important items from other players/player-vendors in-game.This makes running a vendor more rewarding for players that do maintain a paid subscription. My own vendors on Pacific starved after the Stygian Abyss release...maybe other Shards it will not make as big a difference.

Also, there was mention of allowing EJ accounts monthly storage rental for in-game gold. No mention of it in current or previous test center notes. Anyone know if this idea was dropped or just not ready for test center?
    Blacksmithing, Carpentry and Inscription services offered through afilliated subcontractors.
  • BubblegumBubblegum Posts: 41

the idea of the bank storage for EJ accounts, are good and bad, like other games, it could allow the scripters and the like, to use the free accounts to be as a holding account, or dubbin' account for cheats and hacks. Or maybe like other games allow them to stand in one place and farm areas.

A way that could maybe solve this would, like it was said previously, allow them to purchase bank slots for in-game gold. Only a limited access though. 

It was said previously that EJ accounts, if they didn't pay the upkeep of the Bank slots, then it would be raffled/auctioned off to the highest bidder. Not sure how that would even work. I think it should just go back to the game resources, and allow others to loot.  

Just my two cents. Overall I think the EJ publish will be a good thing, because it will allow old and new players to be able to see the mechanics  of the game and progress, and decide if they want to come back or not. As do all veterans at one point or another.  UO grows on you and their isn't anything that come close to the ability that you can do in UO, that you can't in other games. Some have come close but not there yet. 

Wildfire

• Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    edited March 2018
    I don't have a problem with players selling Blackthorn's artifacts bought with points from the token (or those from Despise or Covetous). Since the 1m they get won't buy a whole lot anyway,  In fact, I'd be in favor of the tokens from the Deluxe Starter Pack NOT being account bound for the same reason. EJ players (or whoever) could sell them for gold instead of buying gold from one of the illicit sites. EA/BS gets the business. That's a win-win no-brainer.

Also, I'd strongly suggest that the Virtue Shield be a partial hue item (as in just the background) and leave the lines silver. The current dipped-in-paint look really detracts from the artwork.

Regarding EJ restrictions, they should have access to bank boxes with a limit of 50 items. Tying their hands with no bank access + paid vault access won't be seen as an incentive to subscribe. In fact, it may ultimately drive more people away. 
    edited March 2018
    I don't have a problem with players selling Blackthorn's artifacts bought with points from the token (or those from Despise or Covetous). Since the 1m they get won't buy a whole lot anyway,  In fact, I'd be in favor of the tokens from the Deluxe Starter Pack NOT being account bound for the same reason. EJ players (or whoever) could sell them for gold instead of buying gold from one of the illicit sites. EA/BS gets the business. That's a win-win no-brainer.
    Or not. That just screams pay to win.

What they should do is fix the dungeon/drops and give people more incentive to actually go there and hunt, instead of giving yet another easy button and winding up with another abandoned area of the game.
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Faeryl said:
    Or not. That just screams pay to win.

What they should do is fix the dungeon/drops and give people more incentive to actually go there and hunt, instead of giving yet another easy button and winding up with another abandoned area of the game.
    Yeah, I can see how this could be P2W. However, if the initial purchase of the pack isn't restricted somehow, the results will be the same anyway. Drop $20 (or whatever) and you get epaulettes, rinse, repeat until broke.

As for the dungeon content itself...those areas are already dead.

The only ones I routinely see on Blackthorn's is scripters. I only know one person who likes fighting the city spawn

Covetous is only visited for the Void Pool, Cora is left alone because the encounter is just dreadful.

Someone must farm Despise for quivers, though I've never seen anyone else there on GL since a few months after release. The initial minigame is a glaring example of how not to design content, as it's a griefer's dream.

Expecting any of that content to get a playability update, let alone a drop increase in the medium future is probably self-defeating.
  • What happened to the vault idea, wasn’t that supposed to replace the bank box?
  • I have a question about the Orc Fort. I was playing with new Runic Hunter's Atlas and decide to check out the fort as the description failed to mention Orc Brutes.

Why did you remove the Orc Brutes? They are and not really that hard to kill with a newbie character. Jirel has been killing them as long as she can remember.  Please put them back in the fort.

Also consider changing that rune to the orc cave because it is a better place to kill orcs and there is usually a roaming healer close by to rez players.  There are a variety of Orcs to kill as well as other easy monsters. This does include orc brutes on the lower level. 
    What happened to the vault idea, wasn’t that supposed to replace the bank box?
    I think...though don't quote me...(And this has been asked several times now) that EJ Accounts will get limited storage....now this was from the party, you were there weren't you JC? Wasn't it a rented space, I am assuming in the Vault building in the new Brit Commons area kind of like a post office box (Which I think is cool) And you would rent a vault for X amount of gold per...week? Month? 

I just think it's there but it's still being internally tested, hopefully with the next publish update! 

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Without some way to store items I wouldn't bother coming back.  ALL games allow some storage and with the current 0 storage I can't see the game being playable.

Players need somewhere to store pots, petals, spare slayer weapons, spare pieces of armor incase they get looted, pet balls, if they are interested in crafting then somewhere to put a bod book, crafting resources.  Among other things.

Also if an EJ  player buys a commodity deed of 100 greater heals off a player vendor how are they to 'recover' them and again where are they gonna store em? 

OTHER games either have a bank, chest or guild box whatever, or the character have certain slots (ie UO has 125 backpack slots) however in other games where the ONLY storage is what your character can carry, they do not tend to have weight restictions so you can't move (eg with 10 heavy items in your pack), nor with games like that do your items go 'poof' if you die and are late getting to your corpse, nor can monsters loot your stuff. You only have to remove items when your pack (or alloted storage spots) is totally full.

UO is totally different.  If ONE items is too heavy you can't move, stuff can be looted by mobs/players and you can lose all your uninsured backpack items if your die and can't get your body.

There was talk of the 'vault' but frankly unless it is something you pay for with ingame gold I don't see the point in making it a shop bought thing. If I had to pay 2 bucks a month or something for 'vault' storage I may as well be paying a sub.  So a lot of people will be put off instantly by that. I would, and if I came to play and bought 100 orange petals and had nowhere to put em then again, what is the point in playing? 

If you want people to get reinvolved and attract new players with a free to play option it has to actually be playable.  A limited bank of 20-30 items would be fine, and if they had to 'pay' for it with in game gold would be ok.  If they wanted extra then sure, hit em up for more vault storage. Perhaps you think all existing players will be creating accounts ad infinitum to get those 20-30 bits of extra storage lol.  I don't. 

What is gonna happen is that any genuine new EJ person is gonna be nagging those with storage and banks to store stuff for em. 

The idea is to get people rehooked so they subscribe. On the basis of no storage I wouldn't come back and won't be asking any friends to come and try it either.  Even less chance if they only way they can get any storage is to buy it. Not happening.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    edited March 2018
    MissE said:
    Without some way to store items I wouldn't bother coming back.  ALL games allow some storage and with the current 0 storage I can't see the game being playable.

Players need somewhere to store pots, petals, spare slayer weapons, spare pieces of armor incase they get looted, pet balls, if they are interested in crafting then somewhere to put a bod book, crafting resources.  Among other things.

The idea is to get people rehooked so they subscribe. On the basis of no storage I wouldn't come back and won't be asking any friends to come and try it either.  Even less chance if they only way they can get any storage is to buy it. Not happening.

Yep that how I see it as well
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
    I love the details included with the Runic Hunting Atlas. Should be very popular with players familiar with Britainia and new players! Great work!
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited March 2018
    the Runic Hunting Atlas is very well done and help explain the dungeons pretty well. Like that lots!
    Don't like the "no bank" thing.
    You give these new players a chest full of goodies that take up slots in the pack, but no way to bank/store things they won't be using right off the bat (what player uses ALL spell books ALL the time?!). That will hurt more than help anything.

The "vault" thing sounds okay, but renting for space would probably mean some limited interest, then players saying "fug it" and just dropping out.

Instead, I'd limit the Bank Storage for EJ accounts - I like Dot's 50 item idea as that is just enough to store the stuff bought from the Origin store, some extra weapons, armor, and resources without going over board. Then, when an EJ player hits that 50-limit and tries to add in 51, there is an up-sell opportunity (gump reading, "You can upgrade your Endless Journey by [clicking here] to store more items in your bank." Just remember, say what you CAN offer, not what the customer CANNOT do!) I do remember being "young" as a tailor and that bank storage was my lifeline. I hoarded everything 'cos I didn't know any better, and back then, I wished for more storage which prompted me to save gold so I could buy a house. Imagine how that would inspire an EJ player to 1 - pay for a sub and 2 - continue playing to get a house. Without that storage, I'd never have continued playing. Besides, giving all this stuff to a totally new player who doesn't understand what it all is, letting them store it until they understand better would be a wise thing to offer.

I know BS isn't pushing the CC, but honestly, if I had to run around with all those books, a chest full of gear, and gold (more on this below), resources and what not... a new character is going to be overweight (and dead) in no time.

Banking gold is NOT intuitive in this game. Most games, gold is automatically put into the toon's money balance, but here we still have to harvest the gold from a dead mob. So putting that gold into the non-existent bank box is going to be a problem. What will the newbs do with their gold - without the bank box to drop it in? The gold doesn't deposit automatically and one has to be a bit skilled with the grab gold pixels, drop on banker - but don't miss the banker or someone else will grab your gold - but there's no place that instructs that. And I'm sure a newb killing fodder in the forest will be overweight with gold pretty quick... then what? Without auto-claim-to-toon-balance, this will be a game killer for many a new player.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited March 2018
    Want to add... I cannot take the Runic books out of the chest... irritating....

ETA: the only way to get those books out of the chest is to die. hehehe.
    Or - drop the chest on the ground, then can take the books out. Not the best option...

Another add... I went and grabbed another "starter kit" and could take out books... weird.
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    I hope the devs will reconsider allowing EJ characters to steal Power Scrolls.

That's SCREAMING to the cheaters "Script me! Script me!!!!" to the point to where you'll have hordes of scripted EJ accounts trying to steal the scrolls left and right. As if the potential/certainty for ghost camera abuse isn't bad enough.

And, I'm seeing this as a die-hard Trammie, with little to no expectation of this directly effecting me (I'll be buying from the spawner, raider or thief, regardless) - but from the safety of the bleachers I can see how this idea is horribly wrong.