Why?

I posted about the artwork of the new content on TC1 stating that the items stick up through the second story floor. @Kronix says it is working as intended. Why in the name of all things holy would you intentionally create an art item in game that defies the laws of physics and sticks through the floor? There is already PLENTY of items that stick through the floors. This has been annoying me for 21 years!

Honest question: Can any of you think up a good reason why someone would intentionally design an object that sticks up through the floor? Would you buy a china cabinet and cut out a section of your first floor ceiling and second floor floor to make it fit? 
    No results for this poll
ICQ 568300481

Comments

• Thanks for the warning. Won't be needing that.

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Aww that's a shame, I quite liked those items.  :(
  • RubyKnightRubyKnight Posts: 192
    Followup, @Kyronix says the cabinets were not intended to sit on the countertops. So, My bad!
    ICQ 568300481
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    In the screenshot it shows them on top, if they weren't meant to go on top they should maybe have been a bit bigger.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    I thought they were intended as cabinets on the floor.  But why cant the floor above be solid so things do not stick through?  Then we can use items as we intend.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • LynkLynk Posts: 185
    This is a serious issue which certainly requires a lot of attention.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Lynk said:
    This is a serious issue which certainly requires a lot of attention.

Don't know if that was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek remark or not.  But it is serious, they can't lay it off as a gift "just be glad ya got something".   Because these are store items and people are paying for them.

So it should be right
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    My stone hearth that sticks through the next level annoys me. 
    Then again, non descript clickbait thread titles also annoy me.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• RubyKnightRubyKnight Posts: 192
    Mervyn said:
    My stone hearth that sticks through the next level annoys me. 
    Then again, non descript clickbait thread titles also annoy me.
    Yeah, your thread Brittle & Large got me too.
    ICQ 568300481
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    Xare
    "I'm sticking with beyond their ability  The game is not designed to cut off between floors, it never has, you can even see it in npc buildings. To make this a special item that doesn't show through would require a lot more than the Dev team can do. It's beyond the ability of the game engine in other words." 
    For sure there are a number of items that leave you scratching your head when you see where they land when you place them. Or what happens, like with the world map, when you try to jack them up to make them look better. I think what you're saying above is true, in a "what's done is done" sort of way.

It must be true or something would have been done to resolve the Hearth of the Home Fire and Stone Oven items, so we wouldn't have to build around them, hide the chimney on the Home Fire when it pokes through, or put them on the roof (the last place I want to place them).

I have such a love for the Hearth I've always wished devs would snag the bottom half of the artwork and somehow turn them into something we can easily put on lower floors. After all the hubbub, how we ended up with stone ovens we couldn't place on lower floors was beyond me.

On a more positive note...
    I think the fireplaces we have are great. I'd like to see more options added. A big gothic looking fireplace that looks more like what players build with tile sets would be awesome. The woodstove coming out is sweet. An old world cook fireplace with swing arm and bubbling pot would be so great. We have the bubbling cauldron. I use that in a homemade fireplace. With lava tiles around it, it looks pretty good. But I'd be all for this type of deeded item.

The pie safe and china cabinet do indeed seem to work as intended, being modeled after armoire type containers. Love that you can leave the doors open and have two types of artwork with them.  
    That said, it would be nice if a couple pieces were created that were meant to be upper cabinets that hang on the wall. We've been building kitchens in the game since the dawn. We've come up with clever ways to create the look of upper cabinets for a long time. Why not offer us something meant for that purpose?

• Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited March 2019
    LilyGrace said:
    *snip*

The pie safe and china cabinet do indeed seem to work as intended, being modeled after armoire type containers. Love that you can leave the doors open and have two types of artwork with them.  
    That said, it would be nice if a couple pieces were created that were meant to be upper cabinets that hang on the wall. We've been building kitchens in the game since the dawn. We've come up with clever ways to create the look of upper cabinets for a long time. Why not offer us something meant for that purpose?

If it was also intended by the devs having the possibility to close the doors again after open them - i would call this a good thoughtful thing - but you can not close them again after opening! They remains open!

Would be very kind @Kyronix also to fix this little detail before the new pub put them on the shop :)
    Thanks for listening.

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some posts have been removed due to matters of relevance to the topic or breaches of the Terms of Service.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    LilyGrace said:
    *snip*

If it was also intended by the devs having the possibility to close the doors again after open them - i would call this a good thoughtful thing - but you can not close them again after opening! They remains open!

Would be very kind @ Kyronix also to fix this little detail before the new pub put them on the shop :)
    Thanks for listening.
    I meant as far as the height. Ruby and others already discovered and reported the bug regarding the doors. Kyronix already stated it'll be fixed. I guess that's why there's a TC. To try out these new items and see if there are any issues. :-)
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    Rorschach said:
    Some posts have been removed due to matters of relevance to the topic or breaches of the Terms of Service.
    @Rorschach Delete my (relevant) posts, but not where they're quoting.  Seems legit.