Extra Character ?

At the moment you can have 7 characters per shard per account. I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in being able to buy more slots.

Yes I could go with a second account but that adds complications and a monthly cost I could do without. On the same account would allow more specialized characters without the use of soul stones but you would still have that option. It would also save having to remember which characters have which expansion packs.

I could see myself using one or two extra characters but not six.

I'm thinking a $20 price the same as the 7th slot with a max of maybe 10 characters.

Assuming the game could handle it what do you think?
  1. Are you interested in buying an extra character slot?21 votes
    1. Yes I'm interested
      66.67%
    2. Not interested
      33.33%

Comments

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    8th char slot would be nice.
    I wouldn't have to use soulstones quite as often then...

I think 10 chars on one shard is lil bit crazy...

would love the option though
  • TecloTeclo Posts: 27
    once you could only have 5 toons
  • Why is 10 chacracters crazy? It's no different than having two accounts. Only less pain managing them.

I know games where you start with 6 slots and can buy up to 40+, for $10 each. They do well.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    JollyJade said:
    Why is 10 chacracters crazy? It's no different than having two accounts. Only less pain managing them.

I know games where you start with 6 slots and can buy up to 40+, for $10 each. They do well.
    Huge difference having 2 accounts V 10 chars.  Can't have more than one char on with just a 10 char account.  No 2 houses.  EA loses sub for 1 account.  EA closes UO because on lack of green, HUGE loss.
    I think 10 chars is too much for one account.
    cause I know if you could have 10 chars per shard, I'd have 10 per shard.
    the gifts would multiply...
    but I do know that 7 chars isn't really enough... to do all skills, you have to use soulstones.
    I'm actually thinking about sending one char to another shard, just because I don't want to stone off her skills but want to do something different with the slot.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Bilbo said:
    JollyJade said:
    Why is 10 chacracters crazy? It's no different than having two accounts. Only less pain managing them.

Huge difference having 2 accounts V 10 chars.  Can't have more than one char on with just a 10 char account.  No 2 houses.  EA loses sub for 1 account.  EA closes UO because on lack of green, HUGE loss.

Agreed. Personally, I think 7 slots are too much.
  • Bilbo said:
    JollyJade said:

I dont think you understood that each of this extra characters slots would be paid for *shrugs*
    JollyJade said:
    Bilbo said:
    JollyJade said:

I dont think you understood that each of this extra characters slots would be paid for *shrugs*

At a one time price less than two months of gametime. It only takes a quick glance to figure out EA would drastically lose money by letting this happen so people could merge accounts.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited February 2019
    I don't think anyone starts a 2nd account for more characters. The driving force there is housing. If all I wanted was more characters the choice of paying for a second account or just starting one on a different shard for free is pretty simple. You could use a transfer token to start him/her out right. So I can't see it as really affecting Broadsword's bottom line too much.

By the way I said a cap of 10 just because it would need some kind of cap and 10 is a number between the 7 we have and the 14 of two accounts.
    Oh and as far as gifts go more and more of them are 1 per account per shard. So if they keep that up no effect on the number of gifts out there.

By the way I think all free gifts should be that way and shard locked.
  • Urge said:
    JollyJade said:
    Bilbo said:
    JollyJade said:

At a one time price less than two months of gametime. It only takes a quick glance to figure out EA would drastically lose money by letting this happen so people could merge accounts.
    Two months of gametime that no EJ player ever bought.. Seriously, microtransactions have proven to work, there is no denial to that.
  • Tim said:

By the way I said a cap of 10 just because it would need some kind of cap and 10 is a number between the 7 we have and the 14 of two accounts.
    Do new accounts have seven character slots? 

I thought you started with six and had to buy the seventh character slot.

I still have a few accounts that only have six.

Ej accounts aren't playing the same game as a paid account. That's why the OP is asking for more characters instead of using one. They get nothing special. Even their banks are useless. There is zero comparison between them. Micro trans also aren't comparable to monthly revenue generating accounts. 

For a rough estimate. $12.99 monthly generates $155 yearly. If and I assume we still have 500 people with multiple accounts that buy 3 slots at the OP suggested one time price of $20 each, consolidate and close an account that would give BS a first year loss of $47,000 followed by a yearly loss of $77,000. No matter how it's pitched, it's just not a smart business move.

Ok I'm missing something. Are people really getting second accounts just for extra characters on the same shard? 

I would only consider a second or third account for the housing and storage. So this idea is no loss of money from me.
  • Urge said:

Ej accounts aren't playing the same game as a paid account. That's why the OP is asking for more characters instead of using one. They get nothing special. Even their banks are useless. There is zero comparison between them. Micro trans also aren't comparable to monthly revenue generating accounts. 

For a rough estimate. $12.99 monthly generates $155 yearly. If and I assume we still have 500 people with multiple accounts that buy 3 slots at the OP suggested one time price of $20 each, consolidate and close an account that would give BS a first year loss of $47,000 followed by a yearly loss of $77,000. No matter how it's pitched, it's just not a smart business move.

Sorry man, I'm not going to explain you that of course only character slots wont cut it and it needs a bit more of a concept.

Also you are assuming every player stays for a full year. Doubt that's reality. It's better to make them spent money as early as possible, because tommorrow they can be gone.

Pretty much every AAA title these days is heavily focused on micro-transactions, not going to start this 2015 discussions when in in 2019 we can clearly see which models are the preferred by game studios. Do I like it? No. But I'm not in denial at least.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited February 2019
    Tim said:
    Ok I'm missing something. Are people really getting second accounts just for extra characters on the same shard? 

I would only consider a second or third account for the housing and storage. So this idea is no loss of money from me.
    Fairly doubt it. The people I know have them for either housing or being able to run two characters in parallel to make the game a bit easier. Couple are from old friends and the like. Personally never heard one open an account just for an extra character, but you will sure find one or two oddballs doing it.
    everybody I know opens extra accounts for storage.
    I know my second one was because of BODs and I opened a third cause of too much holiday deco... I gotta deco and I like to move it around for the holidays... make it a lil different and spread the holiday cheer.

Adding a couple more chars, would make it more playable for the shard I am on. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

My second account was for storage. But I am finding the additional characters helpful such as if I forget something while doing a trade run I can have a second account character bring it to me of check prices on Atl when there is something similar on sale on Pacific.

Tim said:

Yes when BODs ment something our guild had 10 bod accounts + main accounts.  I got all the accounts when family members (real) stopped playing.  Currently I have a 6 Char account as a Castle holding account and 2 7 char Accounts with 14 fully developed toons.  Yes people do get 2nd accounts for more toons as most builds have a difference to them than just skills.  Now if they came up with Stat Stones than that would be a different matter.
    Bilbo said:
    Tim said:

Yes when BODs ment something our guild had 10 bod accounts + main accounts.  I got all the accounts when family members (real) stopped playing.  Currently I have a 6 Char account as a Castle holding account and 2 7 char Accounts with 14 fully developed toons.  Yes people do get 2nd accounts for more toons as most builds have a difference to them than just skills.  Now if they came up with Stat Stones than that would be a different matter.

The newer generation. They only have a samp and a tamer. No need for crafters. No idea how fun it is to be able to play any aspect of the game at a whim.
    Urge said:
    Bilbo said:
    Tim said:

The newer generation. They only have a samp and a tamer. No need for crafters. No idea how fun it is to be able to play any aspect of the game at a whim.
    So true.  Remember when we could make gear that would protect you, now you have to use loot gear to be productive.
    Bilbo said:
    Urge said:
    Bilbo said:
    Tim said:

So true.  Remember when we could make gear that would protect you, now you have to use loot gear to be productive.
    Just for the record about 80% of the gear my characters use is crafted by me. I like to chose what pluses they have and you can hit most of the caps in a crafted suit.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971

You can get 4 mana regen with crafting? 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Wait, you can have more than 1 character on your shard ? What Wizardry is this ???
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Wait, you can have more than 1 character on your shard ? What Wizardry is this ???
    Tis dark magics indeed. we should consult the Zombie King about this sir Garth!
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited February 2019
    Pawain said:

You can get 4 mana regen with crafting? 
    Reforging you can 

http://www.uoguide.com/Runic_Re-Forging

I didn't say you could get it first try. 

My present best in use is 

3 mana regen
    2 Stamina regen
    190 luck
    4% lmc
    15 %lmc

I would have gone higher but it fits a 70 suit with 30 mana regen and 20 LRC on a Tamer Bard.

Edit. Rereading I should have said yes I regularly get 4 mana regen when that's what I'm trying for and often melt them down again when they don't roll what else I want.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Tim said:

Edit. Rereading I should have said yes I regularly get 4 mana regen when that's what I'm trying for and often melt them down again when they don't roll what else I want.
    Yes the cap is 4.  Ive never got a 4 regen that I recall.

My best is this:

Mage stuff drops often. Its not easy to find Studded Dex stuff with mana regen.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Off topic but I find if you aim lower you do better. 

For example if I was trying for 4 Mana regens I would lesser reforge with only one named prefix "invigorating/of restoration" or "mystic/Sorcery" with the idea of imbuing it after. I don't know if the mechanics back me up but it seems the more powerful you try to reforge it the more the power gets spread out. Many lower power rather than one full power.

In the case of your tunic I would try with as low a runic tool power as I feel would do the job and then add the rest with imbuing. Technically it would be less powerful the a found legendary item but it would be what I want. 

Then enhance with coloured leather.

If I could only remember to powder it before imbuing I wouldn't have to do it so often.  :'(
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Since we have gone off topic and onto a topic I was wondering about.  in what order do I do the imbuing and re-forging?  And if I max out the number of properties can I convert such a suit to mage armor by paying a mage guildmaster his conversion fee?
  • While we al get 5 at the start of UO over the years they have let us have 2 more  the last one we paid for when we bought the publish. if I recall that ran us near 40$.  If I am to shell out more cash then I pay now it had best be to double the slots.  That means a 2nd page so be it.   
    For me I have many great developed characters marooned on shards I dropped homes on, as over the years the many shards I play my lists got full.  So where to send them?  I would pay to add the second page to the log in.