Achievement system

Coming back to UO I see there's no achievement system, was there ever one on the works or just something the devs aren't interested in?

Comments

• FatFat Posts: 97
    I think I would be most scared of seeing total hours playing
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited March 2018
    you can usually get a title to show you did things such as a global event, and theres been titles for completing champ spawns, getting a skill to 120, account age, etc for years and years.   Some shards EMs will give out a special title for completing an EM event arc, or for participation in the RP rank system. (you could ask your favorite shard's EM if they do this)

With the guild title system, if your proud of doing something the GM can pretty much change that to anything to recognize your achievement.   I think we have more than enough for a sandbox game.  The idea has always been to not have a focus on pre-created goals.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/skill-titles-order/

http://https//uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/reward-titles/

the EM titles arent listed, as well as the last couple years of halloween event titles, but gives you an idea of whats out there.  Theres also a bunch of new titles from the bod system that was added in earlier this year.

• Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Kyronix once tales about adding an achievement-type system, badges I think he called them.

Sadly, very few of the things than CAN be achieved are publicly viewable. Titles being the best example: you can have many, but only display two-three.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 460
    Achievements would have the other perk of providing a little nudge in a direction to have a goal.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited March 2018
    I agree with @Smoot UO is a SB game, not a linear "single task" one: it is plentiful of goals, but (IMO luckily) it doesn't has a GOAL. What could maybe be done to indulge the achivement buffs is to auto-display all of the Quest, etc. achievments (in tagged icons) to oneself and to whomever could be interested, in the Profile Scroll, a PD item that normally almost nobody use.
    I.
  • DerajDeraj Posts: 85
    I dunno... I hate to be the rain on any parades here but achievement systems weird me out. When I was younger I used to run on the achievement wheel in some games. But it is all a very empty and hollow experience, and in retrospect achievements look more like an elaborate hamster wheel meant to engage players in a somewhat spurious way. A mini-game offering a meaningless reward for doing ordinary things. Not knocking anyone who likes pursuing game achievements, I only find them hollow personally.
    It gives me things to aim for.  It's not a completing the game task.  It's just a fun, hey, lets do this tonight kind of thing.
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    The Title system itself is a form of achievement system. 

It just needs to be given a display as such, instead of being relegated to the title menu gump.

Most achievement systems, though are tied to things accomplished in a class skill tree, which as a template game where a character can be completely different a week later, doesn't really work that well. 

So, a limited achievement system, where whether or not you ever fought a specific champion spawn boss, peerless, etc. or took part in certain events (had looting rights on a level X chest, etc.), would work, but that would probably be the limits of it.
    Basara said:

Most achievement systems, though are tied to things accomplished in a class skill tree, which as a template game where a character can be completely different a week later, doesn't really work that well. 

Nope.  In fact, I'd say the exact opposite.  Most achievement systems are objective based and not class based.  XBox, PS, Steam, WoW, FFXIV....  There may be class specific achievements, but they are usually the lesser and not as flavored with puns and funnies.