Everything wrong with animal training

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
Returning player in our guild wanted to know about taming, I’m trying to explain it and realise the following:

Animal training is TRAGIC

1 lower end animals can be trained to be better than higher end animals. A lesser hiryu is better than a Hiryu.. are you kidding me?! 
Dragon is 4 slot, white wyrm is 3 slot. Joke game 

2 some pets but not all come in different slots so some pets you’re looking for good stats and other pets you’re looking for a bad pet (with fewer slots) Who came up with this joke system?

3 not sure if this bug was fixed (probably not) but if you don’t train pets in the right order, and you train magical ability first, you lose the ability to put a special move on a pet. https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1631/frost-mite-and-order-of-choosing-abilities

4 why have you even got the option to put 2 magical abilities on when the second will negate the first and you don’t get any warning. Also things like the triceratops and ossein Ram and lion, you put a magical ability on and it wipes the current special moves with no warning. Who designed this joke of a system?

5 why are cusidhe, lesser hiryu/greater hiryu, drakes etc magical?? They’re not magical in the wild. How are you supposed to know if a pet will have a magical ability before you train it? You gotta look it up on a website as there is 0 logic in game.

6 many reports of many special abilities not working, (also blood oath on pets doesn’t reflect spell damage?) 

7 animal lore gump has 2 categories called “Lore and Knowledge” one showing the skills, the other showing the special abilities. Please shoot me in the head now.

How is any new player supposed to wrap their head around this joke of a patch and why does everyone put up with it? 

@Mesanna please fire someone 

Maybe it’s called animal training as it was designed by a trained monkey.
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209

Even though you are correct on every numbered point, it could have been written a little more eloquently.

While the end product came out an intensely elaborate system, it has forced community on those that enjoy building pets. I have personally interacted with more players trying to decipher the taming revamp than I have in many years.

• I don't see a problem here beside Mervyn needs attention.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited February 2019
    Mervyn said:
    (...)

Mervyn, WHY do you have to ALMOST ALWAYS end you sometimes even sensate posts with some gratuitous personal attack, WHY???

It seems almost as if you WANT to be censored/punished/whatever... :s :# :D
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Ivenor said:
    Mervyn said:
    (...)

Mervyn, WHY do you have to ALMOST ALWAYS end you sometimes even sensate posts with some gratuitous personal attack, WHY???

For people who have low self esteem, and ZERO friends, even bringing negative attention to themselves is preferable to NO attention. The example I was given was: the 5 year old who "acts out" because he/she thinks his/her parents don't pay enough attention to him/her. So he/she does "bad" things so that at least the parents ARE paying attention! Textbook example! Psychology 101.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    KHAN said:
    Ivenor said:
    Mervyn said:
    (...)

For people who have low self esteem, and ZERO friends, even bringing negative attention to themselves is preferable to NO attention. The example I was given was: the 5 year old who "acts out" because he/she thinks his/her parents don't pay enough attention to him/her. So he/she does "bad" things so that at least the parents ARE paying attention! Textbook example! Psychology 101.
    Yup, no offense or self aggrandizing intended, but have a MA in Psychology, so I'm somewhat familiar with the general THEORY. ;)

I was asking to Mervyn why HE was acting in that self-defeating way... :/

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Because @Mervyn thinks, and I use that term very loosely, that he is the UO GOD and what ever he says is fact, just ask him he knows it all.  The only reason that anybody should read his stuff is it is a good replacement for the old Sunday Funnies.  There are more people on here that know way more about training pets.  Pet training is something that UO Players asked for and the DEVs were nice enough to give it to us, but I guess they forgot to ask mister know it all his opinion on the matter.  Think about this, how long has pet training been out and he just now starts his typical BS.  Guess he wasn't getting enough attention on his other threads.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    I think we'll end this here.
This discussion has been closed.