How do I get my computer running like it did when I first bought it?

I was wondering if there are some things I could do to help make my computer run very efficently.  And please don't say buy a new computer lol. I am on a very tight budget. Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Arron said:
    I was wondering if there are some things I could do to help make my computer run very efficently.  And please don't say buy a new computer lol. I am on a very tight budget. Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.
    Hmm... so maybe steal one? ;)

Seriously, without some H/S specs for your machine is hard to give any sensate advice...

I.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Many times a sluggish computer is the result of too many programs running at the same time and using up the available memory, a very fragmented hard drive, very little free space on the hard drive, or running a CPU hogging anti-virus program like Norton anti-virus. 

While you need an anti-virus program Norton is not one you want.  It is a CPU hog. Microsoft's anti-virus program does an excellent job and is not much of a CPU hog.

Which operating system are you running?
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Clean it up, your PC is like a blocked drain!  :D
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    best way is to wipe hardrive and re-install windows.

less drastic than that, defrag hardrive. 

clear browsing history, deleting cookies that build up.

use a cleaner program (lots out there are bad, even hold virus or malware) id reccomend CCleaner.  it works, its clean, just make sure to unclick the boxes so you dont download the extra stuff.
    depending on what your trying to achieve adding additional ram or video card can extend a computers life.  

just regular stuff like browsing the net takes alot more computing power than it did even 5 years ago.

TimSt said:
    Many times a sluggish computer is the result of too many programs running at the same time and using up the available memory, a very fragmented hard drive, very little free space on the hard drive, or running a CPU hogging anti-virus program like Norton anti-virus. 

While you need an anti-virus program Norton is not one you want.  It is a CPU hog. Microsoft's anti-virus program does an excellent job and is not much of a CPU hog.

bit defender is also memory hog.  used to pay for it, but decided i really didnt need that much protection considering the resources it uses.

switched to free version of avast which is fine for my purposes and takes very little memory.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Sophos or AVG are light enough too.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Get a Mac?

sorry couldn't resist  >:)
    Smoot said:

use a cleaner program (lots out there are bad, even hold virus or malware) id reccomend CCleaner.  it works, its clean, just make sure to unclick the boxes so you dont download the extra stuff.

The Disk Cleanup program that comes with Windows does a good job too. It freed up 9 gig on my Windows 8 tablet and now it just purrs along.  Too bad Microsoft hid it on Windows 8. It was a b*tch to find.
  • Before you clean - up your computer, especially if you plan to format your HDD, go to manufacturer's websites and download all the latest drivers you'll need.  Put them on a USB drive.  Makes it it a lot quicker when reinstalling everything later.
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited February 2019
    If you're using Win10, it's also very easy to create a USB drive with the OS on it.  Much quicker install than from a CD image.
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    TimSt said:

I am running windows Professional. Its a 64 Bit computer.
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

I hear Macs are safer but I have never owned one. I would consider it if I could afford one. Lol.
    TimSt said:
    Smoot said:

The Disk Cleanup program that comes with Windows does a good job too. It freed up 9 gig on my Windows 8 tablet and now it just purrs along.  Too bad Microsoft hid it on Windows 8. It was a b*tch to find.
    I will try those suggestions.
    Before you clean - up your computer, especially if you plan to format your HDD, go to manufacturer's websites and download all the latest drivers you'll need.  Put them on a USB drive.  Makes it it a lot quicker when reinstalling everything later.
    Thanks for the info. I will remember that.
    If you're using Win10, it's also very easy to create a USB drive with the OS on it.  Much quicker install than from a CD image.
    I am running Windows 7 Professional. Not sure I want windows 8 or 10. I tried it for a little and did not like it. I may need to give them more of a chance. It was a bit confusing all the bells and whistles. Lol
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    I was a little surprised that Malwarebytes does make a difference with performance. Not a deal breaker but noticeable. I've been turning it off to play UO. I don't think UO is going to put a virus on my computer. I did recently notice that my computer had a new bios update and I was shocked what a difference it made. I got like a 20% performance boost off of that alone. I notice with Windows 10 there's just a ton of stupid junk running all the time. I've turned much of that off. Seems every program I've ever downloaded wants to run all the time if I let it.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    I had Windows 7. I took them up on the free Windows 10 upgrade. Why not? Gotta check you manufacturers website to make sure your computer can do the upgrade ok but I didn't have any issues. Other than figuring out Windows 10. I know Microsoft had a tool to see if your system could handle the upgrade but I know a couple people that had issues so I didn't really trust that. My machine is about 4 or 5 years old? So I must have got the last Windows 7 machine made lol
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my main PC so if you need some step by step instructions I can easily give them to you.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Anyone use a cleanup program from IOBit?  Is it considered good? 
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    IOBit make Advanced System Care? My husband uses that one, he thinks it's pretty good and it's free.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Glary Utilities and Smart Defrag
    TimSt said:
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my main PC so if you need some step by step instructions I can easily give them to you.
    Thanks TimSt. I will try to do the easy stuff first to see if that helps. I don't have  a lot of lag but do when I go to events. It is not bad in luna but I want to keep my computer humming along. I have the free McAfee AntiVirsus Program but it is expired. Also had Kasapersky and have not renewed it. Should I uninstall those programs?

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    @Arron who is your net provider, comcast gives Norton for free.  Clear out all cookies, that can slow a cpu down alot.
    Bilbo said:
    @ Arron who is your net provider, comcast gives Norton for free.  Clear out all cookies, that can slow a cpu down alot.
    I have xfinity, which is the same as comcast I believe. If it is the same maybe I will lookint that if Norton is a good program and does not use uo my CPU Resourses.

*use up my CPU Resourses that is. lol typo.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Arron said:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

fyi

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020.

I loved Win7 but eventually we all have to grow up.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I have  Malwarebytes which I find to be really good but it does hog up some performance. I turn it off when I'm running UO. Does anyone think we need something like that just running UO?