The placeable walls and auction safes are making the game unplayable in some areas...

Comments

• I lag when I go to Luna.  Who cares?  nothing there to kill me, its a game so I'm not on a lifesaving mission...

Like people are always telling me   ADAPT!
    come to Siege Perilous then and you'll see just how little there is to kill you in Luna...
    lag does affect people negatively and is not something we should have to adapt to if it can be reduced by closing loop holes (bamboo tiles, stone crafted house add ons, etc) people found in the code that was there to prevent lag in the first place.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Frankly I don't WANT to see all the crap in people's houses unless I enter them.  So I am all for whatever changes the devs make, especially if it reduces lag.  

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • Well, I'm gonna let this one rest with this last post

You are wrong that the bamboo tile was created just for this purpose.

How do I know this?  Two facts.

1. None of the other floor tiles cause the contents of the house to load.
    2. Devs have never ever intended or wanted that the contents of a house were to load unless you went onto the steps.  Basic bandwidth management.

Those two facts alone negate your argument entirely.

I don't see how because you bought a bunch of auction safes, not being able to see them when passing by, affects their usefulness.  They work just the same.  If anyone wants to see your 100 or however many auction safes then all they have to do is step onto your plot.
    Well I've proven your theory wrong. Your thoughts don't match the reality of the situation.

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    Giggles said:
    And just as an added measure, it's not my internet connection either. 
    Well this demonstrates my point. That test shows nothing about packet loss. You can have the fastest connection (and actually that is one of the fastest real life cable speeds I've ever seen lol) on the planet but if you have packet loss it doesn't matter. That is an amazing real world download speed lol. In theory that's very possible but in reality that is really amazing for cable. Upload speed I think is pretty low in comparison to the download speed. That's odd. You'd think a service with an download speed like that the service would supply an upload speed of twice that. But oh well. I get those kinda results from Comcast when I'm using the Comcast speed test but it's usually way lower on any other speed test. But your speed I don't see as a problem. I'd look at a test to measure jitter and especially packet l loss.

• That's a decent score. It really is. It's sorta the bottom line of what you would want for respectable online gaming and pretty close to what I run. But it should run UO easily. It's your disc mark rating that gives you that good rating. Wanna tell me your hard drive? lol I might wanna get one of those! I'd be 1337 with that hard drive lol. It shows here and on the video the ram is iffy. I think if you beefed up your ram you'd be very pleased.Regardless of UO you'd be doing yourself a favor and it's probably one of the cheapest things you could do. I have an old nvidia 760 GTX card and was planning on replacing that next week but now I'm thinking maybe I should do the hard drive first. lol 
  • I'm wondering if they changed something? UO was running amazingly for me last night. I mean I was really zooming. But I got that new Bios that *really* boosted my performance so I'm wondering if maybe that's what I'm seeing. There was that Spectre issue around May 2018 and the "fix" nuked Intel Processors performance about 25% or so. A lot of people weren't happy about that. My new Bios seems to have corrected that. So I wonder how many systems may have been effected by that. Might really do yourself a favor and check your computers website for updates and a new Bios. I'm not hammering anyone. Just saying a 25% performance boost is awesome for anyone.
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Not gonna read all this, but how about a feature added to search/view the auction safes? Including the EJ auctionable safes if they pop up. This would allow people to freely travel to an auction block once they see the item. I would suggest no ability to bid on said items from the menu, this is not WOW. This way the safes are still viable and of interest and people can happily have their monstronsities really heavy decorated homes be seen by visitors who get to visit. :D :D :D
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Tim said:
    Two points I think most of us could agree on
    1. Lag is bad and shouldn't happen
    2. It would be nice to actually see other players houses and decorations if it didn't cause lag.
    Now on to my rant.

Could someone please point me to were Broadsword or EA have listed minimum/recommend hardware? If you can't please quit trying to hardware shame other players. Not everybody can or should afford a new hight end system. Especially if the developers are not clear on what is needed. 

I would be surprised if a 20+ year old program could even take advantage of the latest top end gear. It would be nice to hear from a real programmer with real knowledge of UO's core.   

Don't they usuall put that info on the software box? I will have to check mine to see if it is there.

•  Arron said:
    Tim said:
    Two points I think most of us could agree on
    1. Lag is bad and shouldn't happen
    2. It would be nice to actually see other players houses and decorations if it didn't cause lag.
    Now on to my rant.

Could someone please point me to were Broadsword or EA have listed minimum/recommend hardware? If you can't please quit trying to hardware shame other players. Not everybody can or should afford a new hight end system. Especially if the developers are not clear on what is needed. 

I would be surprised if a 20+ year old program could even take advantage of the latest top end gear. It would be nice to hear from a real programmer with real knowledge of UO's core.   

Don't they usuall put that info on the software box? I will have to check mine to see if it is there.

it's on the website

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited February 2019
    took the bait and ran silly test.  is this good for 800 dollar computer?

but i still have lag loading bamboo floor houses with heavy stonework.  can either be very slow, or sometimes the house will not appear at all for a good 10 seconds or more (looks like a house isnt there at all)

not sure if or how the devs will adress the issue, im one of those people who would be fine with bamboo floors if granite couldnt be dyed.  i mainly just dont like seeing all the neon.  will be interesting to see what happens.

edited February 2019
     Arron said:

i feel like those system requirements are very outdated, considering that the EC came out 10 years ago, and modern programs / background functions are going to be using much more resources now.   also the first to admit im no computer expert so i could be wrong.

specifically for ram, i guess the 512 MB is how much ram actually has to be devoted to run the EC?  because just running windows 7 takes about 1,000mb to run now, and window 10 can take anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 just to run idle.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2019
    Smoot said:
     Arron said:

i feel like those system requirements are very outdated, considering that the EC came out 10 years ago, and modern programs / background functions are going to be using much more resources now.

specifically for ram, i guess the 512 MB is how much ram actually has to be devoted to run the EC?  because just running windows 7 takes about 1,000mb to run now, and window 10 can take anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 just to run idle.
    Those are the minimum requirements, the recommended are Below. They may be out of date, or they may be correct. @Kyronix or @Bleak would have to answer that for us.

req.JPG 47.1K

• Smoot said:
    took the bait and ran silly test.  is this good for 800 dollar computer?

but i still have lag loading bamboo floor houses with heavy stonework.  can either be very slow, or sometimes the house will not appear at all for a good 10 seconds or more (looks like a house isnt there at all)

not sure if or how the devs will adress the issue, im one of those people who would be fine with bamboo floors if granite couldnt be dyed.  i mainly just dont like seeing all the neon.  will be interesting to see what happens.

That's very respectable. I'm still trying to put my finger on why my system runs UO so well. All I can figure out is the problem lies completely in the EC client.
  • If nothing else this has really sparked my interest in my computer. Bought a Digital Western "black" hard drive yesterday. Looking forward to putting that in today. It was 75 bucks at Best Buy and I thought that was a steal. My hard drive was always the weak part of my system. Wife was a little shocked that Best Buy is making a display area for the new line of video game cards. $1300... $2200... that seems expensive to me for a game card lol. Was going to get a good GTX 1060 for like $300. I thought that was a reasonable amount. Should be better than my old GTX 760. I'm going to be excited to see what kinda difference it makes in general. But $2200 for a video game card? I think someone has lost their mind lol I know they make high end stuff but for off the shelf at a regular store that seems a little crazy.
    edited February 2019
    @Captain_Lucky

yeah benchmark tests are actually pretty worthless when it comes to gaming, unless they're built for the specific game your playing.  good as a very general analysis, but no where near an indication of how a specific game will run.  especially a very old game like EC (or the even older CC)

if you had a very clean computer, well running system from 2009 built with gaming in mind, EC would probably run just as good on it as a new computer. (if it had windows 7, newer operating sytems take up more resources)

EC does use a video card.  so a good card wont hurt.  the best cards of 2009 were only around 1.5 GB ram.  i have a 8gb card.  i guess it doesnt hurt, but definitely not needed.

CC doesnt use a video card at all, so just relies on your processor.

so you can have the best computer in the world, and UO will most likely still have problems.  theres tons of factors totally unrelated to your computer system.  even stuff like game settings.  for example turning off footstep sounds helps tons with lag.  also the way UO is built, your carrying around every item in your bankbox with you, all the time.  so even just having an empty bank can speed things up.

id be the last person to tell someone to go out and buy a top of the end PC just to play UO on.  hope that helps, im sure your system is fine for UO if its healthy and relatively modern.

• Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    Smoot said:
    @ Captain_Lucky

yeah benchmark tests are actually pretty worthless when it comes to gaming, unless they're built for the specific game your playing.  good as a very general analysis, but no where near an indication of how a specific game will run.  especially a very old game like EC (or the even older CC)

if you had a very clean computer, well running system from 2009 built with gaming in mind, EC would probably run just as good on it as a new computer. (if it had windows 7, newer operating sytems take up more resources)

EC does use a video card.  so a good card wont hurt.  the best cards of 2009 were only around 1.5 GB ram.  i have a 8gb card.  i guess it doesnt hurt, but definitely not needed.

CC doesnt use a video card at all, so just relies on your processor.

so you can have the best computer in the world, and UO will most likely still have problems.  theres tons of factors totally unrelated to your computer system.  even stuff like game settings.  for example turning off footstep sounds helps tons with lag.  also the way UO is built, your carrying around every item in your bankbox with you, all the time.  so even just having an empty bank can speed things up.

id be the last person to tell someone to go out and buy a top of the end PC just to play UO on.  hope that helps, im sure your system is fine for UO if its healthy and relatively modern.

There's some good info there. Interestingly I keep almost nothing in my bank box. Hmmmmm. I think I may have a stack of bandages in there and a couple recall scrolls for emergencies. I would turn off foot steps but I'm not really having issues. I mostly use Benchmark to compare my system before and after I add a card or something. Makes me feel good to see the numbers go up lol
    edited February 2019
    If nothing else this has really sparked my interest in my computer. Bought a Digital Western "black" hard drive yesterday. Looking forward to putting that in today. It was 75 bucks at Best Buy and I thought that was a steal. My hard drive was always the weak part of my system. Wife was a little shocked that Best Buy is making a display area for the new line of video game cards. $1300... $2200... that seems expensive to me for a game card lol. Was going to get a good GTX 1060 for like $300. I thought that was a reasonable amount. Should be better than my old GTX 760. I'm going to be excited to see what kinda difference it makes in general. But $2200 for a video game card? I think someone has lost their mind lol I know they make high end stuff but for off the shelf at a regular store that seems a little crazy.
    a 1060 is great for vast majority of games.  only reason to get better in my opinion is to get more years out of, or if your interested in virtual reality.  but cheaper in the long run just to buy a better card in another few years when much better will be out for same price rather than spending 2 grand on top of line card now. 

its a good time to buy a card too, i bought my computer a little over a year ago, when video card prices were sky high because of the bitcoin mining during the craze.  if you can install yourself might be worth checking out site like newegg.com or something, might be cheaper than best buy.
  • Smoot said:
    If nothing else this has really sparked my interest in my computer. Bought a Digital Western "black" hard drive yesterday. Looking forward to putting that in today. It was 75 bucks at Best Buy and I thought that was a steal. My hard drive was always the weak part of my system. Wife was a little shocked that Best Buy is making a display area for the new line of video game cards. $1300... $2200... that seems expensive to me for a game card lol. Was going to get a good GTX 1060 for like $300. I thought that was a reasonable amount. Should be better than my old GTX 760. I'm going to be excited to see what kinda difference it makes in general. But $2200 for a video game card? I think someone has lost their mind lol I know they make high end stuff but for off the shelf at a regular store that seems a little crazy.
    a 1060 is great for vast majority of games.  only reason to get better in my opinion is to future-proof, or if your interested in virtual reality.

its a good time to buy a card too, i bought my computer a little over a year ago, when video card prices were sky high because of the bitcoin mining during the craze.  if you can install yourself might be worth checking out site like newegg.com or something, might be cheaper than best buy.

For sure. I was really shocked that Best Buy had that hard drive for that price. I mean 10 bucks for a sata cable? lol And it's not even a great sata cable. But they had a good price on that hard drive and it was in stock. Normally I seldom go there other than to grab something I want right now. But you know what? That place was packed. I couldn't believe it. So I'm glad they're doing well and they usually have good prices on new blurays. Now that everyone has like 2 day shipping it's not a big deal to even go to a brick and mortar. But if it's a higher end item like a HDTV, refrigerator or something I still wanna see it and check it out before I buy it.
    also forgot to mention, disabling some of those sounds and animations in settings really only has noticable effect when your around a bunch of other players.  i slimmed down my settings mostly for EM events.  still crash sometimes.  its just UO. 
    edited February 2019
    agree on brick and mortar i buy some stuff online but other stuff i want to see in person or be able to return easy if i have problem.  i have a microcenter store by me.  am very lucky, great computer store.  especially monitors i like brick and mortar, very common to have dead pixel in brand new monitor so i dont want to deal with online returns.

• Smoot said:
    agree on brick and mortar i buy some stuff online but other stuff i want to see in person or be able to return easy if i have problem.  i have a microcenter store by me.  am very lucky, great computer store.  especially monitors i like brick and mortar, very common to have dead pixel in brand new monitor so i dont want to deal with online returns.

Your killing me. We have one of those and it's an awesome place to shop. But the closest one is like 40 miles away *sigh*
  • Smoot said:
    also forgot to mention, disabling some of those sounds and animations in settings really only has noticable effect when your around a bunch of other players.  i slimmed down my settings mostly for EM events.  still crash sometimes.  its just UO. 
    UO has sound?

haha, yes even if you cant hear it (i usually have sound off too :P)
  • Huh, will wonders never cease.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    I see some people found the recommended requirements. Now I just have two questions
    1. Were they easy to find?
    2. Has a computer been sold in the last 5 - 10 years that doesn't exceed them?
    In other words I don't think player hardware has much to do with the lag monster.
  • Tim said:
    I see some people found the recommended requirements. Now I just have two questions
    In other words I don't think player hardware has much to do with the lag monster.
    1. Took me about 3 seconds to type "Minimum specs UO" and hit enter. 
    2. my tablet meets the minimum specs, so no.

• Tim said:
    I bought a laptop on a black friday sale a couple years ago. It was like 150 bucks. I thought it would be good for like facebook up at the cottage. It barely does the internet lol. Total piece of junk. I knew it would be sad but I had no idea it was that sad. So yes, you could possibly buy something that doesn't run UO lol But it really does look like a laptop so it's got that going for it.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Ok it is posable to get a computer that won't run UO. But I still think most of the problems people are having (myself included) have little if anything to do with hardware. It could be tested but I don't think anyone actually cares that much. You could do some tests in UO then change graphics card and do the same tests.

But it wouldn't really change anything.
  • Will you guys stop talking about PC hardware like it's relevant? When you slow to a crawl in this game it's a client bottleneck, not your video card being too slow to draw enough 1990's sprites. UO ran better on my old XP desktop than it does on my new computer.
  • I guess what i find relevant is my computer doesn't have these issues. So I guess there's that.