Stable slots query from returning player

I am back to UO after a couple of years and having seen that there are extra stable slot tokens available I was wondering, the tokens give 3 extra slots but is a "slot" a pet or the number of slots some pet use up. IE blue beetles take 3 slots, and also what is the max pets a chr can have taking into account max taming, lore and vet plus stable slot tokens. I saw something about a max of 7 tokens per chr plus skill bonuses but also 42 slots was mentioned also. Is the max number for each chr or devided among all chrs on the account. I have lots of pets among my chrs (some as company pets only) and want to know if these minor pets are taking up slots my tamer may need.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Follower slots and stable slots are two different things. You may use up to 5 follower slots, and different pets use a different number of those. New blue beetles, by the way, now use only one slot, as do fire beetles. Stable slots depend upon the taming/lore/vet skills of the character, a table explaining that can be found on the Pet Ownership page of the wiki
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    edited February 2019
    I highly suggest looking up all the new taming stuff.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Mariah said:
    Follower slots and stable slots are two different things. You may use up to 5 follower slots, and different pets use a different number of those. New blue beetles, by the way, now use only one slot, as do fire beetles. Stable slots depend upon the taming/lore/vet skills of the character, a table explaining that can be found on the Pet Ownership page of the wiki
    I add, if I may, that, once stabled, a Pet takes only ONE STABLE SLOT, regardles of how many FOLLOWERS SLOTS it uses when "deployed" on the field.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    The new taming patch wasn’t executed with Covenant’s recommendations. Consequently, as a tamer instead of looking for the best pet in the wild, you’re kinda looking for the worst pet.

comment explanation: you’re looking for a pet with bad stats which will give a low follower count. The lower the follower count, the more you can advance the pet. Apologies for the complexity.

further history: @CovenantX rather brilliantly summised that the system was backwards, and that each creature should instead have a set number of followers, so you’re still looking for a pet with high stats. Unfortunately his insight fell on deaf ears even at the test stage. Rather unfortunate yet so easily remedied even at this stage. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002