Forged metal of artifact

I think there’s something really wrong with these tools. Although not many pieces require enhancements nowadays with all the legendaries overcapping every stat, I feel these tools aren’t right. It’s a little pay to win.

Firstly, the chances of successfully enhancing pieces without a tool I think should be massively increased. I beleive it’s currently near impossible to enhance a decent legendary.

And perhaps more controversially I think also the chances of enhancing with a forged metal tool should be less than 100%.
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    So we shouldn't have the pay to win tool but the chance of successful enhancement should be massively increased.

Kinda contradicting yourself. 

Ya that +16 resists really makes my suit with 31 total resist go to 47 total resists.  I should be ashamed to use such an overpowered piece of armor.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    If you’re merely enhancing things to increase resists, you’re not fully exploring special material bonuses to their full potential. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• XareXare Posts: 124
    If you're merely creating posts that have no real chance in hell of being done, are you really contributing to the community?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited February 2019
    It is the only way to make a MAX Luck suit.  Leave them alone.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Yea a thread about the Forged Metal of Artifact because I have two questions:

Does it work on leather armor and will it prevent a mage from meditating?
    Does it remove the mage armor property on non-leather armor?

Thanks

Yes it will work for all crafting abilities despite its blacksmithing appearance.

it won’t remove mage armour property. If you wish to remove mage armour property you can visit the mage guild master in haven and he can do so at a cost of 250000.

• ArronArron Posts: 485
    edited February 2019
    Bilbo said:
    Oh I forgot I needed to create a max Luck suit. Thanks@Bilbo for reminding me. What is the max luck you can have on a suit?

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited February 2019
    Bilbo said:
    absolutely not the only way.  metal luck suit can be enhanced with 60 hammer pretty easy.  no, it might not be the best but if your looking for free its a great option.  most people in luck suits dont really cast too much anyway, so non-med isnt too much of an issue.  and metal is just as good as studded for dexters, just different.  i have at least some metal in all my sampire suits because the stam loss reduction is more beneficial the the lmc bonus if your fighting stuff that hits hard.

edited February 2019
    yeah the forged metals are a little pay to win, but nothing compared to most modern games.  plus you can buy them with gold, so not really pay to win since you can get gold via in game content.

Pay to win to me is having game changing / best in slot items available only for cash, that cant be obtained any other way or traded / sold for in game currency.
    Oh you can buy them for gold? Or do you just mean players purchase them for real money and sell them for gold?

edited February 2019
    Mervyn said:
    Oh you can buy them for gold? Or do you just mean players purchase them for real money and sell them for gold?
    yeah just from player that has paid cash.  i dont have a problem with the UO store, if it helps the game stay in business.

i do think the UO store should sell shard shields, which would be pay to win but better than what we have now (i have shard shields but feel everyone should have access to them)  ideally tradeable, but even account bound from the store would be better than the limitations now.

in many other games, best in slot item or item upgrades are ONLY available for cash.  cant even trade or sell them for in-game currency.  i dont agree with that.

while it would be nice if all items at least dropped somewhere in game, being able to purchase for gold from a player whos spent cash is a decent compromise.

Smoot said:
    Bilbo said:
    absolutely not the only way.  metal luck suit can be enhanced with 60 hammer pretty easy.  no, it might not be the best but if your looking for free its a great option.  most people in luck suits dont really cast too much anyway, so non-med isnt too much of an issue.  and metal is just as good as studded for dexters, just different.  i have at least some metal in all my sampire suits because the stam loss reduction is more beneficial the the lmc bonus if your fighting stuff that hits hard.

You can not imbue weapons/armor to max points and then enhance with gold/spine without %100 breakage, FACT.  The only way to enhance to max luck is with the Forged Tool.   Please stop spreading false info.
    @Bilbo ive been doing it for years.  leather no, metal only because of the plus 60 skill from the hammer.
    edited February 2019
    just tested to make sure still possible.  if you were making a max luck piece, you would reforge for 150 luck first, then imbue / enhance.  but this is still 500 imbue wieght so same chances.  not trying to "prove you wrong" or anything, its just a very easy and low cost way to enhance stuff without a forged metal tool.  for metal anyways.  im sure theres still a small chance to break, but very low percentage.

i would not reccommend attempting to enhance an expensive legendary (chances decrease as intensity goes up), but worth it for cheap ones where the cost of the armor is way less than the 5mil cost of the forged metal charge.
    @Smoot I will admit that I have never made IRON armor with 150 luck then imbued to max points then tried to enhance with gold ingots because we were always told that anything that was at max imbuing points could not be enhanced without %100 breakage.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/material-bonuses/

Enhancing

Enhancing is most often used on monster loot or reforged items, it is a high risk enterprise unless you have invested in a ‘forged metal of artifacts’ tool from Origin Store. The more property bonuses you try to force into an object, the more likely you’ll fail. If you are lucky, failure will result in loss of resources, if you are not, failure will result in the destruction of the item you are trying to enhance.

well i guess id say that too if i were selling forged metal tools lol
    edited February 2019
    i agree thats a horrible description.  it should at least mention the plus skill blacksmithing hammers.  probably unintential but could use a better description.  its true that higher property intensity does mean lower chances, but at 500 chances are still very good with the extra 60 skill.

I have a few 60 hammers (LOL) I just may try to make some different luck armor for my warriors.  IMHO Warrior Class Chars should be Plate 
    edited February 2019
    good luck, (but dont blame me if some break) chances are good, but still possible to break, and theres always rng.  maybe experiment with stuff you dont mind breaking first to get an idea of chances.
    I never blame anybody for my mistakes.  Now that I know it is possible I may give it a try.
    When you goto enhance something, you should really really get a gump to tell you success chance and chance of destroying the item!
    @Kyronix

Mervyn said:
    When you goto enhance something, you should really really get a gump to tell you success chance and chance of destroying the item!
    @ Kyronix

This is UO aren't the chances always less than 1 success per 100 attempts.  I don't want to see that on the screen.
    Are you going to request they remove the crafting success and exceptional success chance that is displayed?

when there is a chance of destroying an item there should be a warning 

Mervyn said:
    Are you going to request they remove the crafting success and exceptional success chance that is displayed?

when there is a chance of destroying an item there should be a warning 

There is a warning on enhancing.  And it does destroy stuff just as it warns.  No need to make up stuff.  I did not say remove any warning already there. I also bet estimate is near correct.
    Well @Mervyn any crafter out there worth their salt already knows this so it is obvious that you know squat about crafting.
  • Pretty sure there is an enhancing calculator on Stratics.

I can't seem to get any warning about enhancing, i need to switch on warning somewhere in options?

Also, if warning are off by default for me, i'll assume they'll be off by default for new players?

Mervyn said:
    @ Pawain and @ Bilbo

I can't seem to get any warning about enhancing, i need to switch on warning somewhere in options?

Also, if warning are off by default for me, i'll assume they'll be off by default for new players?
    It's called knowing what you are talking about when it comes to crafting after many many years of doing it and also listening to others that have done it longer.  There where/is many UO guides here/UOGuides/UOStratics that have tons and tons of info for all crafters and the old Tower of Roses was a goldmine of info and they all have stuff on enhancing.  Maybe you should do more reading, game playing and listening to others then asking the DEVs to do everything for you.  What are they suppose to warn you about everything.  WARNING That rock you are approaching will not let you pass through it, you must walk around.  Guess they need one for every tree too.
    edited February 2019
    The warning is not for me, but for new players. I write the wikis on crafting but yeah i should read more..

We should be telling new players to read more not less.  Quit asking the DEVs to do everything for new players.  Ask them to direct new players to well written how to articles.