Pub 104 - Rising Tide Event

KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
edited February 2019 in Test Center
Visit Forskis at the Britain Commons to learn more!

After participating in the event and dropping off your reward cargo please take some time to answer these questions,

Where did you acquire most of your cargo? Merchant Ships? Pirate Ships? Plunderbeacons? 

How did you feel about the number of cargo crates you would receive?  If you participated in multiple ways to get the cargo (did Merchant and Pirates and Plunderbeacons for example) which means did you find the most enjoyable?

If you fought the Plunderbeacon did you enjoy it?  What did you like about it?  What could be changed to make the experience more enjoyable?  Did you feel like you received enough cargo from defeating the Plunderbeacon?

Any other comments you have would be very helpful as well!  Happy Testing!

Comments

• KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited February 2019
    I just got back from some High Seas adventures on TC, and here are my first impressions:

Where did you acquire most of your cargo? Merchant Ships? Pirate Ships? Plunderbeacons? 
    I received the most cargo from a Pirate ship. Here are my results so far:
    - Pirate Ship: 3-4 Pieces of Cargo
    - Merchant Ship: 2 Pieces of Cargo
    - Plunderbeacon: 1 Piece of Cargo

How did you feel about the number of cargo crates you would receive?
    It depends on how much the rewards are. I turned in around 10 or so crates I believe, but it felt like I was making progress, despite not knowing how much the rewards are. I personally feel encouraged to keep going when I am actively getting items. If the item price is set to require, say, 2 hours of farming on average, I would much rather that item cost 50 crates and have them drop more frequently in those 2 hours, than have it cost 10 crates and drop less often. The feeling of making progress is a strong motivator!

If you participated in multiple ways to get the cargo (did Merchant and Pirates and Plunderbeacons for example) which means did you find the most enjoyable?

I enjoyed the Pirate Ships the most. Need to keep the High Seas safe! The Plunderbeacon was a cool structure to see, more on that below.

If you fought the Plunderbeacon did you enjoy it?  What did you like about it?  What could be changed to make the experience more enjoyable?  Did you feel like you received enough cargo from defeating the Plunderbeacon?

The Plunderbeacon definitely made me do a double-take when I first ran into it. My issue with it was how hard it was to kill for me. I was on a warrior and could only damage the crew with cannons, and it took a lot of effort to kill them.

I actually had to give myself archery and go pickup a bow and arrows in order to kill them faster as cannons were taking way too long. 

Personally, I felt the 1 piece of cargo from the Plunderbeacon was too little, but that was also based on my experience trying to kill it as a warrior. An archer worked much better, and I imagine a mage would have been easier too. They did scuttle my ship really fast though, they have a lot of cannons on all sides. I imagine it would be much safer to stick to pirates and merchant ships.

I plan to try the Plunderbeacon again with a different spec to see if I can improve the time it takes.

Any other comments you have would be very helpful as well!  Happy Testing!
    The increased damage to cannons is nice, thank you for tweaking those! The time-to-kill against ships feels much better now.

I did run into a very strange issue though. I don't know if it is related to the patch or not, but after I defeated the Plunderbeacon, I limped my scuttled ship back to shore where I could repair it. Upon fully repairing the ship, the ship is still considered scuttled.

I cannot do Permanent Repairs on it, as it says it is not damage. I cannot move anywhere, as it says I am scuttled. I can do emergency repairs on it to limp along, but that's it. I tried dry docking it and placing it again, the issue persists.

The boat is currently at 131.07'N, 55.53'W in Tokuno, if you want to see it.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    Great! Thank you!
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Ok so I like the quest items, only turned them into your box as asked, what I don't like is, Tokuno Merchant ship, which was engaged with other monsters at the time, totally scuttled my ship faster than I scutted theirs. Please let me know if this is by design, or a mistake.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Ok so I like the quest items, only turned them into your box as asked, what I don't like is, Tokuno Merchant ship, which was engaged with other monsters at the time, totally scuttled my ship faster than I scutted theirs. Please let me know if this is by design, or a mistake.
    Nothing has changed with the way NPC crews engage, what could be the case is now that all cannon damage is normalized you are no longer getting getting hit with all light cannons, but instead the normalized cannon damage. 

Did you have a full crew on your ship?  Was watching someone engage in Tokuno that had a crewmember at every cannon doing an incredibly effective job!
    Update on my permanently scuttled boat: A Pirate Ship spawned near me, so I slapped on some Emergency Repairs to go out in a blaze of glory. Once I got next to the ship, I unleashed my broadsides onto the pirate ship and suddenly my ship refreshed to fully repaired.

I'll try to test getting scuttled again to see if its a reproducible issue, or if it was a random glitch.

On another note, I fought another Plunderbeacon, this time knowing what to expect so I went in with Archery ready. Was able to dispatch it much faster than my first go at it, and got 3 pieces of cargo this time.

Question: Does the quality of goods inside the maritime cargo crates matter (or will it when the vendor is put in?). I notice there are 3 item qualities available, Grandmaster, Exalted, and Legendary.

Having loads of fun with the update so far!
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2019
    ok, reading the the book, it appears that to get plunder from the beacon, we simply kill the spawning creatures around it and loot drops in our packs. i have not received any loot from the orcs, just the monsters.  i found no way to loot, or board the plunder beacon. is this accurate @Kyronix ?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited February 2019
    One other thing i noticed is, that after i killed all the Orcs, the plunder beacon kept firing at my ship.  

• was unable to disembark from my ship to a spot in the water near the beacon. you can kill the creatures and some of the orcs from here as well.

• was unable to disembark from my ship to a spot in the water near the beacon. you can kill the creatures and some of the orcs from here as well.

Maybe these are intentional as there are 4 around it where you can leave your ship in a safe spot and disembark to them and kill th eorcs. and i have found the "lighthouse"  object handle so i will experiment with getting at it.

• i went to Tokuno to try to do some pirate hunting and capture a dread pirate. i could not find an orc ship that actually had a dread on it, and then there were so many plunder beacons that it was difficult to navigate around.   may want to adjust the amount of those that can spawn in tokuno islands.  maybe 3 total in the whole world.  could you please look at making sure that all orc ships that spawn have a dread pirate?  makes it difficult to hunt them when all the ships are orc crew only.

• In Tokuno, found the crew for a beacon standing in the water with no graphic for the beacon.

Using a bow, I keep getting the message "War On Target Blocked" when trying to engage Merchant Ship crew. Shipmate is able to engage and do damage using magery. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    @Victim_Of_Siege Those orc ships in Tokuno aren't what they seem. My char is a bard, so I wanted ships with no pirate - she can't kill those. Every time I got within firing range of a boat I thought was just orcs the pirate came into view. 
    LilyGrace said:
    In Tokuno, found the crew for a beacon standing in the water with no graphic for the beacon.

Using a bow, I keep getting the message "War On Target Blocked" when trying to engage Merchant Ship crew. Shipmate is able to engage and do damage using magery. 
    Make sure you patch up to the latest client.
  • @ Victim_Of_Siege Those orc ships in Tokuno aren't what they seem. My char is a bard, so I wanted ships with no pirate - she can't kill those. Every time I got within firing range of a boat I thought was just orcs the pirate came into view. 
    i sailed right up beside them and started firing to be sure. they have no pirate.

@Victim_Of_Siege
    You get a pack drop like Treasures of Halloween from the Plunderbeacon crew, mobs, and nearby spawn.

The cannons should stop firing if the crew is dead - has anyone else seen this not be the case?

are you saying you can get on the beacon?  You shouldn’t be able to do that so we will have to take a look.

thanks for testing!
    edited February 2019
    Khyro said:
    Update on my permanently scuttled boat: A Pirate Ship spawned near me, so I slapped on some Emergency Repairs to go out in a blaze of glory. Once I got next to the ship, I unleashed my broadsides onto the pirate ship and suddenly my ship refreshed to fully repaired.

I'll try to test getting scuttled again to see if its a reproducible issue, or if it was a random glitch.

On another note, I fought another Plunderbeacon, this time knowing what to expect so I went in with Archery ready. Was able to dispatch it much faster than my first go at it, and got 3 pieces of cargo this time.

Question: Does the quality of goods inside the maritime cargo crates matter (or will it when the vendor is put in?). I notice there are 3 item qualities available, Grandmaster, Exalted, and Legendary.

Having loads of fun with the update so far!
    Yes - higher quality = more value when you sell it.  
  • GraceGrace Posts: 148
    I did a pirate quest and turned in the pirate alive. Got a flame cannonball.

Would love to do more, but the pirate bindin pole is stuck on my boat from the first quest. When I accept another quest a second pole shows up on my boat and I cannot move my boat from the dock.

When I resign from the quest I can move my boat. I think the fact that the first pole did not disapear upon quest completion the second pole stops my boat from being able do move.

• Kyronix said:
    @ Victim_Of_Siege
    You get a pack drop like Treasures of Halloween from the Plunderbeacon crew, mobs, and nearby spawn.

The cannons should stop firing if the crew is dead - has anyone else seen this not be the case?

are you saying you can get on the beacon?  You shouldn’t be able to do that so we will have to take a look.

thanks for testing!
    i cannot get on the beacon, but there are about 4 spots that i can get off of my ship into a spot on the water. seem to be around the 4 corners of the beacon. 

so there is no way to get anything off the beacon it's self, just from killing mobs?  

• GraceGrace Posts: 148
    The pirate ship i fought still fired its cannons after the crew was dead. Thought the pirate was somehow doing it.
    edited February 2019
    I was able to reproduce the issue grace is having with a stuck pole @Kyronix

• here's what grace was talking about. i have patched up and done a full file check

Thanks for the reports!  Will look into the issues regarding the random water mobs.

All the loot you get from the beacon (cargo) will go directly into your pack as a result of killing the mobs (which includes the beacon itself).

I'd have to double check, but as long as the dread pirate is alive I believe the cannons on an NPC ship can still fire since the pirate counts as "crew".
    i cannot get on the beacon, but there are about 4 spots that i can get off of my ship into a spot on the water. seem to be around the 4 corners of the beacon. 

so there is no way to get anything off the beacon it's self, just from killing mobs?  

Once the crew is dead, position your boat so a cannon can hit the beacon, then start unloading at it. You will destroy it and get another maritime crate:

• Kyronix said:

Last night we thought at first the cannons were still firing after all crew on the beacon were dead. For us it turned out there was one more orc hidden from line-of-sight on the west side of lighthouse graphic. I couldn't target it. Couldn't get a health bar using all names. Even tho it was aggro on me it didn't cast or shoot so I couldn't auto-return fire with bow. 

We jockeyed our position trying to improve line-of-sight. It didn't seem like we could get to him. Our ship was taking damage so quickly we were scuttled and had to limp back to shore for more permanent repairs. It was late and time to log at that point. I personally think how quickly a beacon does damage needs to be tweaked. 

Re: Repairs
    We went through a ridiculous amount of materials to keep ship repaired. If removing some of the tedium from HS adventures is of interest, I think we need a ship repair kit that holds a boatload of wood, cloth and ingots. I think it's tedious to keep peeling various materials out of the hold. I think it'd be awesome to double click a loaded repair kit and target the ship.
    LilyGrace said:

We went through a ridiculous amount of materials to keep ship repaired. If removing some of the tedium from HS adventures is of interest, I think we need a ship repair kit that holds a boatload of wood, cloth and ingots. I think it's tedious to keep peeling various materials out of the hold. I think it'd be awesome to double click a loaded repair kit and target the ship.
    I like the idea. A craftable repair kit would be really convenient. At the very least I would love to see the 'Permanent Repair' option use materials directly out of the ship's hold.

• Khyro said:
    LilyGrace said:

I like the idea. A craftable repair kit would be really convenient. At the very least I would love to see the 'Permanent Repair' option use materials directly out of the ship's hold.
    I like both these ideas, especially the boat repair kit, it could be made by a Tailor/Carpenter. 

• Has anyone else had a beacon blow up just as you were getting into position to start blasting it?  sometimes recording software would be nice.

Has anyone else had a beacon blow up just as you were getting into position to start blasting it?  sometimes recording software would be nice.
    There is a timer for plunderbeacons to expire, as is the case with all NPC ships.  This timer is reset when you enter its targeting range or do damage to one of the crew, or damage the lighthouse.  My assumption is that you arrived just as the timer expired, but before you were close enough to reset the targeting.  If you happen to see it again - let us know!
  • Kyronix said:
    Has anyone else had a beacon blow up just as you were getting into position to start blasting it?  sometimes recording software would be nice.
    There is a timer for plunderbeacons to expire, as is the case with all NPC ships.  This timer is reset when you enter its targeting range or do damage to one of the crew, or damage the lighthouse.  My assumption is that you arrived just as the timer expired, but before you were close enough to reset the targeting.  If you happen to see it again - let us know!
    will do.

• I'm hoping what I'm seeing today in taking the beacon out is how it will be maintained. I was solo and it took a good amount of time and caution. I took out the large monster spawn all around the beacon then nipped away at the corners of it to take out the Orc crew; pulling away to heal and repair as needed then going back in for more.

If you're playing with others and have a crew you can afford to be more bold and dispatch the crew and beacon much more quickly so I think risk vs reward is maintained. Or perhaps time vs reward would be another way to put it.

I think, if possible, it would be great for a solo player to be able to take a beacon out if they take their time, move carefully and take out additional spawn of sea monsters to make sure they don't get hemmed in, unable to make a getaway to heal and repair.

And because there's always still a wish list...
    I wish there were new sea monsters to be found.

Thanks!
    P.S. Still Orc crew popping up sans beacon.