The placeable walls and auction safes are making the game unplayable in some areas...

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
     :| 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Whether the bamboo tiles were intentionally designed to show items without the need to step on the house or not, there has been a dramatic change in the game.  Granite.  Prior to granite the only real way to have a completely custom house from the ground up was with rubble.  Sure lots of people used the bamboo, but most of their walls, stairs, etc. was still built with the housing tool.  The relatively few full rubble designs were in places like Luna or Zento, which limited the negative impact.  With granite, the availably to build like this has increased exponentially and expanded into places in the game were it is now interfering with game play, both in lag and the inability to see with the CoT.
  • Merus said:
    Whether the bamboo tiles were intentionally designed to show items without the need to step on the house or not, there has been a dramatic change in the game.  Granite.  Prior to granite the only real way to have a completely custom house from the ground up was with rubble.  Sure lots of people used the bamboo, but most of their walls, stairs, etc. was still built with the housing tool.  The relatively few full rubble designs were in places like Luna or Zento, which limited the negative impact.  With granite, the availably to build like this has increased exponentially and expanded into places in the game were it is now interfering with game play, both in lag and the inability to see with the CoT.
    The issue isn't the granite walls, it's every other item in the house loading as well that's causing the lag. With a custom plot it makes no difference if it's a crafted wall or one placed with the house customizing tool. It still has to load the item. That's why they don't want Customizable castle plots.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    King_Greg said:
    Merus said:
    The issue isn't the granite walls, it's every other item in the house loading as well that's causing the lag. With a custom plot it makes no difference if it's a crafted wall or one placed with the house customizing tool. It still has to load the item. That's why they don't want Customizable castle plots.
    Expect the accessibility of the granite has amplified the use of bamboo floors to show off custom designs that wouldn’t have been built before with just access to rubble.
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019

King_Greg said:
    Merus said:
    The 4000 houses are fine but ohhhh those 20 castles are the problem! lol Well the story they told us is Mesanna has nightmares about borg cubes lol

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Rorschach said:
     :| 

We like to keep you on your toes. Don't want ya getting lazy :D
  • Okay how about a code where 30 days after you place your castle becomes static? I've heard 3 or 4 good ideas where no one loses. Get rid of stone wall crafting all together. It doesn't work that well anyway and I got corner gaps to prove it. This issue is far more important than if I can put emblems on my ship sails or whatever they're up to.
  • Well ya know hardly anyone from the team ever comments here. They could have just let it slide by regardless of what was going on in the back ground at BS. But now Bleak was came out with a vague statement and it would be nice if he came back and shot a little smoke at the hornets nest and told us what's going on. Or discussed options. Something. This is a huge deal.
  • Great communication doesn't happen with BS...you know that
  • Great communication doesn't happen with BS...you know that

Worth a shot. Had he not commented we'd all be fat dumb and happy. For the moment anyway lol
    edited February 2019
    Passmark (google it) will test your system for a limited number of free evaluations. See how your computer rates in a modern world. Checks your processor, video card and all that. It will rate your puter compared to all the computers that have taken the test. Been around forever and a very reliable and trusted company. If your not in the green you can start figuring out what's wrong with your system. I check my computer stuff all the time. Been a few months and my nvidia card had new drivers. I checked over at Dell and my bios had an update from when Intel nuked everyone's processor performance over the Spectre and Meltdown exploits. My processor performance picked up like 20% (per Passmark). That's noticeable! Hate to throw salt on the wound but my UO experience is even better now. Check your systems people. I wonder how many of these computer issues are from a year or 2 ago when Intel nuked everyone's processors?
  • Just fix the exploit, its that simple.  Its no different then the double boss exploit on the roof that was fixed or the vendor trick years back that was also fixed.   A broken mechanic that is taken advantage of is a exploit.   

Id also like to say nothing is a bigger eyesore then every granite house in the game, theyre all ugly.  Id even delete goza mats too,  none of it is good for the game and looks incredibly stupid.  Nobody cares how many em items someone has collected, except other rares people.  They can all move to one shard and play with each other.   Most of those items were collected through a corrupt system anyway.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Two points I think most of us could agree on
    1. Lag is bad and shouldn't happen
    2. It would be nice to actually see other players houses and decorations if it didn't cause lag.
    Now on to my rant.

Could someone please point me to were Broadsword or EA have listed minimum/recommend hardware? If you can't please quit trying to hardware shame other players. Not everybody can or should afford a new hight end system. Especially if the developers are not clear on what is needed. 

I would be surprised if a 20+ year old program could even take advantage of the latest top end gear. It would be nice to hear from a real programmer with real knowledge of UO's core.   

• This subject has about become stale... time for a change of topic

How bout dem Cowboys?   LMAO
  • Just fix the exploit, its that simple.  Its no different then the double boss exploit on the roof that was fixed or the vendor trick years back that was also fixed.   A broken mechanic that is taken advantage of is a exploit.   

Id also like to say nothing is a bigger eyesore then every granite house in the game, theyre all ugly.  Id even delete goza mats too,  none of it is good for the game and looks incredibly stupid.  Nobody cares how many em items someone has collected, except other rares people.  They can all move to one shard and play with each other.   Most of those items were collected through a corrupt system anyway.
    It was not an exploit. It is not currently an exploit. No one from the team has ever called it an exploit. It's been in the game like FOREVER. It's been talked about like FOREVER. Did they slide it in under the radar? Probably. Let's use our brains. Out of the 100 or more floor tiles only these have that special code. It would be far easier to cut and paste all the other floor tile code than invent new code for this specific tile. No body would do that. Pretty simple. Also isn't it a little funny that this effects probably the ugliest tile in the game that wouldn't attract the attention of many people? Little odd don't you think? There would be next to zero people using this tile except for this built in feature. You don't have to like it, I get that. But nobody is buying into your exploit conspiracy theory.
    edited February 2019
    Tim said:
    Two points I think most of us could agree on
    1. Lag is bad and shouldn't happen
    2. It would be nice to actually see other players houses and decorations if it didn't cause lag.
    Now on to my rant.

Could someone please point me to were Broadsword or EA have listed minimum/recommend hardware? If you can't please quit trying to hardware shame other players. Not everybody can or should afford a new hight end system. Especially if the developers are not clear on what is needed. 

I would be surprised if a 20+ year old program could even take advantage of the latest top end gear. It would be nice to hear from a real programmer with real knowledge of UO's core.   

Well if my computer runs UO fine, assuming it's not blessed by god or they let some special prototype out of the factory by accident... there's really only a couple options left lol. So how's that Passmark score?

edited February 2019
    This subject has about become stale... time for a change of topic

How bout dem Cowboys?   LMAO
    Depending on what happens... this and custom castle plots are all I'm ever gonna talk about lol. It's not really our fault. One official person puts out a vague statement and doesn't offer any further insight and that's when it went up like a volcano. This is a big deal. To everyone.
  • I lag when I go to Luna.  Who cares?  nothing there to kill me, its a game so I'm not on a lifesaving mission...

Like people are always telling me   ADAPT!
  • Looks like the Capt is going down with this ship, no matter how wrong he is!!  :D
  • Looks like the Capt is going down with this ship, no matter how wrong he is!!  :D
    OMG! I *was* wrong. Looking over my security cam footage I found this. My computer *was* indeed touched by God it appears. So I apologize. I clearly have a magical computer. Me running UO with no problems has nothing to do with me keeping up with the times and actually buying a new computer every five years or so and nothing to do with me maintaining it properly with new drivers, updates, new bios, etc.

• Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited February 2019
    Capt', you don't know much about coding.   Sure cut & paste can be used for multiple exact lines of code.  That doesn't mean a tiny mistake couldn't have been made and overlooked.  It only takes an extra or a missing, comma, colon, parenthesis, zero or whatever, to screw up a line of code up.  Coding while you're tired, nodding off a little and hit the backspace key, etc.

There could be many reasons why and how this tile acts differently from the rest.  What is certain though is that NONE of the developers have EVER intended for the contents of a house to load and/or display UNLESS you walked onto the steps of the house.  That much is clear.  It's always been that way from a bandwidth performance perspective.  So the bamboo tile obviously violates that premise.

Not many people used the bamboo tile in the past because, as you stated yourself, it's probably the ugliest floor tile there is.  So people didn't use it.  Regardless I'm sure some players still discovered it's unusual property of causing the contents of a house to display and word slowly spread.  Then goza mats were introduced and you could use this ugly tile and simply cover it up with a goza mat.  So then more players started using them and word continued to spread.  Then in 2014 craftable granite was introduced for castles & keeps and people realized they could use the stone pavers to cover the ugly bamboo floor tiles and word spread.  So here we are today with hundreds of houses per shard abusing this floor tile and the worst is where many houses are congregated together such as in Luna or other popular spots and it's affecting the gameplay of other players.
    No your wrong! Is that the argument now? lol
  • Capt', you don't know much about coding.   Sure cut & paste can be used for multiple exact lines of code.  That doesn't mean a tiny mistake couldn't have been made and overlooked.  It only takes an extra or a missing, comma, colon, parenthesis, zero or whatever, to screw up a line of code up.  Coding while you're tired, nodding off a little and hit the backspace key, etc.

There could be many reasons why and how this tile acts differently from the rest.  What is certain though is that NONE of the developers have EVER intended for the contents of a house to load and/or display UNLESS you walked onto the steps of the house.  That much is clear.  It's always been that way from a bandwidth performance perspective.  So the bamboo tile obviously violates that premise.

Not many people used the bamboo tile in the past because, as you stated yourself, it's probably the ugliest floor tile there is.  So people didn't use it.  Regardless I'm sure some players still discovered it's unusual property of causing the contents of a house to display and word slowly spread.  Then goza mats were introduced and you could use this ugly tile and simply cover it up with a goza mat.  So then more players started using them and word continued to spread.  Then in 2014 craftable granite was introduced for castles & keeps and people realized they could use the stone pavers to cover the ugly bamboo floor tiles and word spread.  So here we are today with hundreds of houses per shard abusing this floor tile and the worst is where many houses are congregated together such as in Luna or other popular spots and it's affecting the gameplay of other players.
    Exactly what kind of game play is so adversely effected by a handful of people lagging some around Luna? lol Sure now that UO made a ton of cash selling auction safes and expansions and all that off this feature now they pull the rug out from under them? That's not right. I can video my laptop playing UO and it's absolutely horrible. It's a crap laptop. Should UO take everything out of the game to support my junk computer? It meets specs from 1997 I'm sure! Instead let's do a positive thing like being able to turn off house loading etc.Bamboo tile was created for a purpose and it executes that perfectly. That can't even be argued. I don't even think the gray tile that looks exactly like it made at the same time has this feature. Wanna talk about gozas? Ok. I don't use them. Completely get rid of them. I don't care about the 1000s of people that use them and love them. Doesn't effect me. Not my problem. Right? That's the attitude? I don't think think like that. You do illustrate how the mistake of not giving us a custom castle plot has contributed to unnecessary issues on some old computers.
  • You are the only person saying its not a exploit of broken mechanics.  The other 99.99% say its broken.   How delusional can you be!?!
  • Well, I'm gonna let this one rest with this last post

You are wrong that the bamboo tile was created just for this purpose.

How do I know this?  Two facts.

1. None of the other floor tiles cause the contents of the house to load.
    2. Devs have never ever intended or wanted that the contents of a house were to load unless you went onto the steps.  Basic bandwidth management.

Those two facts alone negate your argument entirely.

I don't see how because you bought a bunch of auction safes, not being able to see them when passing by, affects their usefulness.  They work just the same.  If anyone wants to see your 100 or however many auction safes then all they have to do is step onto your plot.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Rorschach said:
    Let us stay topical and not stray into divisive arenas that have nothing to do with the game that we play.

:D  :D :D
    Love the reply.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Passmark (google it) will test your system for a limited number of free evaluations. See how your computer rates in a modern world. Checks your processor, video card and all that. It will rate your puter compared to all the computers that have taken the test. Been around forever and a very reliable and trusted company. If your not in the green you can start figuring out what's wrong with your system. I check my computer stuff all the time. Been a few months and my nvidia card had new drivers. I checked over at Dell and my bios had an update from when Intel nuked everyone's processor performance over the Spectre and Meltdown exploits. My processor performance picked up like 20% (per Passmark). That's noticeable! Hate to throw salt on the wound but my UO experience is even better now. Check your systems people. I wonder how many of these computer issues are from a year or 2 ago when Intel nuked everyone's processors?
    I'm not sure why you are set on the idea that the only people who are having issues are the ones with crappy computers. My issues are not noticeable in the 2d client, but in the Enhanced client, the game is unplayable in several areas, and my video shows how bad it is. I took you bate and ran the PassMark thing, and the results are attached. As I have said before, my computer is not the issue and should have 0 issues running a 20-year-old game. I am not trying to get anyone to lose out on displaying their super awesome house design. I am hoping for an "any" solution where I can play and enjoy the game, as several others wish to experience as well.

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss
  • And just as an added measure, it's not my internet connection either. 

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Exactly.  This is an EC problem.  They need to fix it in the EC.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Oh hell where is the popcorn...

This whole pc is bad talk is the weak argument of people who run out of proper arguments. Just ignore it.

I can't think of those tiles were in tented to do this as they are the only ones and as someone said in times of slow connection bandwidth management was a huge thing. Therefore I assume it was intended that content loads when stepping in the house.

I agree that simply removing bamboo floor is maybe not the best solution but we havent heard any details by the devs. 

The problem is obviously less affecting CC and mostly EC so they need to look into. 

And yes  Lag in a game like uo is a not acceptable situation