Like Button?

I sure would like to see a like button added here.

Comments

• I've resorted to posting my likes. lol
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I would be happier if it was an Agree button.  

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    Facebook Generation  :D

• ZappZapp Posts: 14
    But.... but.... but.... 
    Then you would have to have a disagree button for sure!!

I bet it would be used more often than an agree button. LOL
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    there is already a discussion on this topic here https://forums.uo.com/categories/forum-feedback

• Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • ArchnightArchnight Posts: 48
    I like this idea  :D

• ThrakkarThrakkar Posts: 46
    I never clicked a single like button anywhere on the net, nor am I planning to. So yeah, don't really miss it.
    I've always found it better to express my liking or agreement in a full sentence, because just "Like" can mean anything and is up for free interpretation.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Thrakkar said:

I've always found it better to express my liking or agreement in a full sentence, because just "Like" can mean anything and is up for free interpretation.

Exactly.  Am I saying I like their grammar? Their sentence structure?Their thoughts? Their avatar?

Agree means I like the content of the post.

Do not need a disagree button.  If you do not agree, write your own thoughts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 462
    edited March 2018
    I think a like button implies that something is wrong if it doesn't get likes and that isn't true.  Also, a post that gets likes doesn't make it true either.
  • A disagree button would be a bad idea.  Forums are already salty enough, no need to add more salt on top of salt.  B)
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    No like button needed.  Leave the forum as is. 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    When the Like button is added, please also add the ignore option too. 

Thank you
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Why add a like button? People not getting their daily dopamine fix from other sources?
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Merlin said:
    No like button needed.  Leave the forum as is. 
    Yea!
    Other forums with like/dislike button just gets abused as some just hit one of them on any post regardless of what is said.  
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Either way is fine with me....I do tend to like the like button :) Because sometimes I just like what someone has said but have nothing further to add to the conversation...quoting someone just to say I LIKE THIS seems rather...silly....but if that's what we must do, then onward we push, maybe without a like button, people will comment more instead of just hitting like and actually saying what they like about it? I don't know...but I like this thread :)

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Larisa said:
    Either way is fine with me....I do tend to like the like button :) Because sometimes I just like what someone has said but have nothing further to add to the conversation...quoting someone just to say I LIKE THIS seems rather...silly....but if that's what we must do, then onward we push, maybe without a like button, people will comment more instead of just hitting like and actually saying what they like about it? I don't know...but I like this thread :)
    Larisa said:

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Woah double quote..you must really like what I said! 

Remind me not to use the smilies anymore though..they are REALLY big..I do NOT like that...

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Ya not sure why it double posted 

but ya I liked it a lot lol 
      The purpose of the Like button, not that I invented it, just my opinion, is for those that have read and agree with a particular post or thread, but have nothing valuable to bring to the discussion. That's why we also need a Dislike button. It's not fair to simply say "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all", instead "If you don't have anything good to say, you must not have Liked the post/thread, and should therefore be able to say so publicly with the click of a button". 

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
      The purpose of the Like button, not that I invented it, just my opinion, is for those that have read and agree with a particular post or thread, but have nothing valuable to bring to the discussion. That's why we also need a Dislike button. It's not fair to simply say "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all", instead "If you don't have anything good to say, you must not have Liked the post/thread, and should therefore be able to say so publicly with the click of a button". 
    This is exactly my thoughts on a “like” button  B)

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 462
    The trouble with that thought is it's one-sided and a dislike button is too negative and abused.  With only "likes" represented, it gives a false impression.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    The merits of what you say is far more important than the amount of "likes" you get (or don't get). 

Like or dislike buttons are one of things that are wrong with social media and forums today. It doesn't contribute in any meaningful way. 
    The purpose of the Like button on say..YT, is for people that sit down and hit Autoplay. YT will start showing them videos of all types, when they hit Dislike, it removes them "supposedly" from the algorithm. The like button saves them in a Liked list. On Facebook, liking a post also notifies you of any future replies in that thread, I think it's the equivalent of Following. Either that or I'm completely FoS. 

• I dislike the idea of a like button on these forums.