What happened to UOGuide?

IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
Maybe this is common knowledge an I'm to clumsy to find it out by myself, but... what happened exactly to the uoguide.com site? Its seems that it has not been updated in almost a couple of years... :/
I.
Tagged:

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited February 2019
    It's a wiki, go update it  :p
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Who runs it? Are they still around?  Main page shows updates from 2017. 
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited February 2019
    It's a wiki, go update it  :p
    Sure, why not? I could write a page on the fascinating fauna that populates the Official UO Forum... :D :p ;)
    dvvid said:
    Who runs it? Are they still around?  Main page shows updates from 2017. 
    Exactly my point... :| :'(
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    I write the odd thing in it, but the official uo wiki is pretty much as good now. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• UOguide is still better than the others. IMHO.  However, it's probably about ready to shutdown due to lack of interest, low player base, and costing whoever hosts it money.  Maybe it'll last another year?  Maybe not?  Sucks, but that's the state of UO right now.
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    The official uo wiki is a pain to navigate. I only used it when uoguide didn't have I was looking 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Xare said:
    The official uo wiki is a pain to navigate. I only used it when uoguide didn't have I was looking 
    You are %100 right it is a pain at times to find things but when you do it appears to be more current than UOGuides.  I wish it had the same basic layout as UOGuides does.
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    Mervyn said:
    I write the odd thing in it, but the official uo wiki is pretty much as good now. 
    I disagree. The official wiki omits, most likely as a matter of policy, a lot of very useful information. It's things like skill training strategies, damage formulas, etc, that most likely will never be part of the official wiki.
    @Sliss if I am not mistaken @Petra_Fyde did a lot of work on the Wiki here and you might get her help and @Mariah to help get stuff put into the wiki that you think is missing.
    @Bilbo I believe the omissions are fully intentional, since it's very specific things that are missing.
    I'd kill for full damage formulas. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    Skill training strategies are subjective, and there's absolutely no policy about omitting formulas, if you feel some information is missing, feel free to contact the wiki developer Mariah. Things often take a while to be added as unlike uoguide, the facts are verified before they get added.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

edited February 2019
    Sliss said:
    @ Bilbo I believe the omissions are fully intentional, since it's very specific things that are missing.
    I am not sure if they are or not but if you do not ask then you have already accepted no as an answer.  If you want something added then let @Mariah know and let her say if it is allowed.  Never ASSUME the answer is no.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited February 2019
    JC the builder runs uoguide.  he hasnt been active in over a year.  he was at the 20th party, and active for a few months after that but has been mia for a while.  he does take breaks, and struggles with carpal tunnel (i would not mention this but he's posted about it publicly on jcthebuilder.com and is pretty open about it)

if anyone is interested in contacting him to help update the guide the best way to do so would be email him at "jc@uoguide.com" (this is his publicly displayed email.  you could also try pming "Link" (his name on the hot forums)
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited February 2019
    new accounts might need to be approved, but anyone can update the guide.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    @Sliss Please tell me what you think is missing. Skill training guides are somewhat subjective and need to be written by a player fully conversant with the skill being trained however they can be submitted by such players if they choose to do so. Damage formulas may have to be confirmed as accurate before they can be added, but I'm sure @Mervyn will confirm that I am willing to add to the wiki from player input, when I get it.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited February 2019
    I hope UOGuide lives on for many more years. UOGuide has become so useful because the bar for submitting information is so low (just register and add your information).

A curated wiki like on uo.com sounds like a good idea, but it is not. Many people won't spent their time arguing with some editor whether their input is relevant or not. It's basically leaving a lot of information left on the road because there could be one that is not 100% correct. You can't have a control-freak run a wiki that wants to approve every single sentence.

Let's say im a new player and want to go kill Navrey.

There is zero information on the official UO wiki.
    UOGuide has 3 strategies to use, explains how the pillars works and also tells about stone shoes.

But then the UOGuide article was curated by 10 different authors over a timespan of 7 years and 50+ changes.

Even if you wanted @Mariah , you could never do it alone. Good luck :)

UOGuide is the wiki from players for players. No other is.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    Mariah said:
    @ Sliss Please tell me what you think is missing. Skill training guides are somewhat subjective and need to be written by a player fully conversant with the skill being trained however they can be submitted by such players if they choose to do so. Damage formulas may have to be confirmed as accurate before they can be added, but I'm sure @ Mervyn will confirm that I am willing to add to the wiki from player input, when I get it.
    To be fair, wouldn't it be more efficient if you obtain those formulas from the source rather than using using informed and educated guesses, running them by you to confirm if they're accurate, then telling us they're not? 
    JollyJade said:
    I hope UOGuide lives on for many more years. UOGuide has become so useful because the bar for submitting information is so low (just register and add your information).

A curated wiki like on uo.com sounds like a good idea, but it is not. Many people won't spent their time arguing with some editor whether their input is relevant or not. It's basically leaving a lot of information left on the road because there could be one that is not 100% correct. You can't have a control-freak run a wiki that wants to approve every single sentence.

Let's say im a new player and want to go kill Navrey.

There is zero information on the official UO wiki.
    UOGuide has 3 strategies to use, explains how the pillars works and also tells about stone shoes.

But then the UOGuide article was curated by 10 different authors over a timespan of 7 years and 50+ changes.

Even if you wanted @ Mariah , you could never do it alone. Good luck :)

UOGuide is the wiki from players for players. No other is.
    I agree that UOG is the wiki FROM the players.

In any case my intention wasn't to make a comparison to decide if UOG or the Official UO Wiki is the better (each one has, IMO, its plus & minus, and I use them both almost the same amount), but simply to konw why it has not been updated anymore with new contents added from roughly a little after the ToL Expansions, and I had the reply I asked for from @Smoot (thanks! :) )

I.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    Xare said:
    Mariah said:
    @ Sliss Please tell me what you think is missing. Skill training guides are somewhat subjective and need to be written by a player fully conversant with the skill being trained however they can be submitted by such players if they choose to do so. Damage formulas may have to be confirmed as accurate before they can be added, but I'm sure @ Mervyn will confirm that I am willing to add to the wiki from player input, when I get it.
    To be fair, wouldn't it be more efficient if you obtain those formulas from the source rather than using using informed and educated guesses, running them by you to confirm if they're accurate, then telling us they're not? 
    Yes. Tell me which formulas you want and I'll attempt to get them added.
    edited February 2019
    Mariah said:
    Well, something that, IMO, the Official UO Wiki could add are (a lot... :)) more internal crosslinks.

As it is structured now - always IMO, OC - it has more a "linear narrative" that a true hypertextual structure.

E.g., if you remember, it was I that last year suggested to add a link to the page with the list of items for sale on the UO Store to the page that described what the Store is... ;)

UOG in this has a more classical integrated HT structure, in which almost every iteration of keyword is a link to the description page of that item/function/etc., plus frequently the footpage reference crosslinks.

I.

• Ivenor said:
    In any case my intention wasn't to make a comparison to decide if UOG or the Official UO Wiki is the better (each one has, IMO, its plus & minus, and I use them both almost the same amount)
    Me neither, just drifted away a bit why the official wiki has more general topics and less in-depth gameplay knowledge. One is authored by many people while the other is is puposely kept shut down and only authored by maybe 2 or 3 people.

Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    Mariah said:
    Xare said:
    Mariah said:
    Yes. Tell me which formulas you want and I'll attempt to get them added.
    Melee damage and spell damage for all spells to start. Honestly, anything you can provide that would insight into the mechanics of the game would be nice. 
  • I remember UO Guide begging for help and volunteers cause he couldn't do the whole thing by himself. I'm sure they would talk to anyone that wants to help.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
    Mariah said:
    Mariah, thank you fro reaching out. The biggest things that I saw missing were damage formulas (which someone already mentioned), and skill training guides (what to do at which level). The latter, IMO is especially important with attracting new players who are generally used to faster and more guided progression.
  • There actually are training guides on the Uo Wiki. Here is the Melee one
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

WOW What a concept, ask and ye shale receive.  Now wasn't that hard?
  • There is actually a link to the Parry Formula there as well, haven't found the damage formulas though

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Another useful thing to add would be a list of artifacts that have a specific quality. For example, the page on Luck would have a list of items that carry it. Same thing for SDI, DI, SSI, etc. This is very useful when building suits.