Can scripts be detected ?

I do not know about other Shards, but on the one that I play, throughout the day, at intervals, there is some advertisement to a web site that comes up in General Chat...

While it could certainly be that there actually is a live individual sending out, manually, in general Chat, that particular Web site advertisement, it could also be happening through a script.....

Now, "if" that is happening through a script, then, I wonder. whether a Game Master could be able to detect it, go to the character advertising it, and if it is through a script take whatever actions would be appropriate ?

It happens every day, multiple times, over and over and over.....

Does it also happen on other Shards ?

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Old game with no workable way to prevent player from using unapproved 3rd party programs. 
    The only way to stop him (yes we all know who you are talking about) is to boycott his site.
    It's not as if a quick search wouldn't give you 3 or 4 others selling the same thing at the same price.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I think of it like YouTube. You might have to deal with an add or two during your time. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I've been in Haven when this person logs in. He has a 'young' char, so instalogs, he appears on the spot where new characters do in the centre of Haven, spams his advert (I'm guessing pre prepared and ctrl + V into chat.or script that does the same thing), logs out. He's gone before you can open the menu to page on him. Anyone who's tried to put him on their 'ignore' filter will confirm it's not the same account all the time, there are an endless number of him.

I believe we've seen the newsletter lists of actioned accounts? Those bans for 'soliciting'? My guess is those are him. He just comes back, and in this age of easily available 'proxy' servers, how the heck do you stop him?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    UO Assist could be used to do simple speech based macros on a timer, but the RMT advertiser is more than likely a script which includes shard logins all day long.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • GandalfGandalf Posts: 115
    Server Side script can be detected
    Client sided (without Punkbuster or such...)  can't be detected

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    That advertiser must be scripting or he does not sleep.  I've seen the adverts at all times of the day including when I am still playing at 3 am in the morning.
  • IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    @Bilbo make a website to sell UO items. Advertise in Gen chat. Watch how fast you get banned. Ooh rah, sailor. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • Advisors once caught him and hauled him off to the GM's  … where he just deleted the account and started a new one.  IF you look carefully once in  great while you can see a number after his name its how many times he has had to remake that account 
    I have complained for years on him and asked Mesanna for a permit to hunt his tush down even in tram but  I have yet to get that shiny bow she has to do so..hehehhe
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some disruptive comments have been removed.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited February 2019
    Surely you can put a blanket ban code in for certain words into chat:

www.thisismysite.com

how about we ban thisismysite

basically a HARD filter,  from appearing in chat text on every shard. And if they change the url then just add that to the HARD filter.

No point in spamming a site url if all the punters see is:  www.*%*)%(^)*(*^*&.com

It's not like they are hiding their address, two seconds of being in chat and we all know it, and it wouldn't be much fun for them to keep changing their url especially if as soon as they changed it it got added to the filter.  If they can stop me saying ass, then hmmmm what is the issue?

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • They just have no intention to make it really stop... for whatever reason... 
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Gandalf said:
    Server Side script can be detected
    Client sided (without Punkbuster or such...)  can't be detected

Not true, running processes are broadcasted during the entire duration of their use, even if you change the name of them, they're true identity is still identifiable. 
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    MissE said:
    Surely you can put a blanket ban code in for certain words into chat:

www.thisismysite.com

how about we ban thisismysite

basically a HARD filter,  from appearing in chat text on every shard. And if they change the url then just add that to the HARD filter.

No point in spamming a site url if all the punters see is:  www.*%*)%(^)*(*^*&.com

It's not like they are hiding their address, two seconds of being in chat and we all know it, and it wouldn't be much fun for them to keep changing their url especially if as soon as they changed it it got added to the filter.  If they can stop me saying ass, then hmmmm what is the issue?

It's much easier for the spammer to change the wording to bypass the filter. Instead of "thisismysite" you will see "t h i s i s m y s i t e" or "this is my site", etc. As long as it's possible to create an unlimited number of free accounts, this war is a waste of very limited resources. 
  • Exactly the point the Dev made.  But I can wish to get Mesanna's pretty bow and go kill him in my dreams...hehe
  • The Classic client is the issue.  It has the most problems.  IF you want to fix the scriptors and hackers, you need to shutdown classic. 
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    The Classic client is the issue.  It has the most problems.  IF you want to fix the scriptors and hackers, you need to shutdown classic. 
    I was coming here to say exactly this. 
    edited February 2019
    The Classic client is the issue.  It has the most problems.  IF you want to fix the scriptors and hackers, you need to shutdown classic. 
    So shutdown classic client would mean no more script?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Gandalf said:
    So shutdown classic client would mean no more script?
    %100 right because there wouldn't be enough players left to support UO so EA would have no choice but to take a money loss or close UO and the same thing would happen if they closed the EC.
    But people can script with EC.
    Gandalf said:
    Not with the same tool that they do with classic. Nor with the same effectiveness. A new program would have to be developed, at considerable time investment  if it's even possible. 

Damn dinosaurs not letting go of their cheating ways and insisting that a leaky client remain active. 
    Xare said:
    Gandalf said:
    A new program would have to be developed, at considerable time investment  if it's even possible.

Yes scripts can be detected it is up to UO to write the programs to do it and with their current staffing I do not see it.  Mesanna at one time at a M&G told everybody what they were running and people told her she was %100 right but nobody was banned for it.  Is there scripts for the EC, well the EC is already script friendly and I have no doubt that is somebody wanted to that they could write one for it in a short time.
    Bilbo  find me the transcript of this m&g please? 
    Xare said:
    Bilbo  find me the transcript of this m&g please? 
    It was right after Mesanna took over from the spreed sheet guy, can't remember his name.  UO knows what you are doing they just don't really care as long as EA is happy, just my opinion, no facts.
    Yes EC can run scripts But they are internal to the client. 
    External scrips probably can be run on it but can't see why you would want to except to cheat. Remember when CC was written the in thing was to allow external scripts and apps to work with every program. If I remember my time line correctly EC was released about the time they were starting to realize just what a bad idea it was.

Another reason to laugh at PvPers.
  • Gandalf said:
    While previous posters are correct in saying that scripting in EC is much more difficult to do than in Classic, the bottom line is most people don't NEED to script in EC unless they are just purposefully setting out to cheat. [[AFK macroing skills, for example.]]

Most of the third party programs used by the players serve the purpose of covering the gap in in-game macros. PvPers prefer the classic client's look, but are amazed at what EC can do to ease their gameplay - so they use third party programs to basically turn the classic client into EC. [[For example: macros to target nearest friendly for healing or target nearest enemy; there are also macros in EC that allow you to automatically heal party members.]]

Same with some Samps - they like the classic client but prefer EC features. [[Because, as far as I know, in classic client there is no "target nearest enemy" or "target next enemy" - unless they've changed that in the last publish or two.]]

As for the advertiser in the game ...

It's nearly impossible to ban him because he's not using subbed accounts to log in and post. With Endless Journey? If an account is banned for soliciting, then all he has to do is make another EJ account. His problem is solved. Unless the Devs are willing to ban an IP Address so he can't make new accounts ...
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
    One word why banning IP addresses will not work "VPN"

(yes I know VPN is not a word)  :)
  • Canceled_SubCanceled_Sub Posts: 32
    edited February 2019
    A simple letter from broadsword to the website, followed by a civil suit would solve the matter easily.  I bet Avatar would fold without much effort.  Seriously, the solution is simple. 

Still, the people automating collecting resources, utilizing cheats, etc.  These people are all utilizing the classic client.  Hell, you can automate quite a bit in the EC, but it's not nearly as bad as being able to run the game for days on end gathering all the resources you could ever need.  Hell, you can automate anything in the game with ease via botting.  Solution?  Ban the classic.  Simple enough.  That would also free up developer time to work out these same schemes in the EC>

Every modern computer can run the EC.  So no worries there.
  • The Classic client is the issue.  It has the most problems.  IF you want to fix the scriptors and hackers, you need to shutdown classic. 
    Since the classic client is half the player base your suggesting shutting down the game? I'd never play the EC. That's a deal
    The CC just runs so much better than the EC with almost no lag people think it's an exploit.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • I've played both.  The EC is superior in every way.  Kingdom Reborn was a fantastic idea.  Had they continued down that path the game would be healthier now.  Short term pain for long term gain.  If you are going to quit due to the client, then what else would you play?

The truth is, you'd load up the EC.  Words are cheap.