Requesting No PvP Shard

Simple as that. No transfers in or out. Please let us play all game content on easy mode on a shard that is in a vacuum. Housing rules still apply. 

Thoughts
esdxWhere is the bank? 

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I rather them make the PVP shard for Mervyn to go play in.  Im happy where I am and I did not throw away all the rune books I made before Tram.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    Ikeelu said:
    Simple as that. No transfers in or out. Please let us play all game content on easy mode on a shard that is in a vacuum. Housing rules still apply. 

Thoughts

Fair enough request, and also make the Felucca only pvp shard to match it, and all is fair and square. :)
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the point would be.  Every shard is no-PVP if you want.  Just don't go there.

All you'd be missing is scrolls, but if you're not pvp'ing, and nobody else is, and everybody has equal skills, then you don't need them, either.
  • Canceled_SubCanceled_Sub Posts: 32
    edited February 2019
    I guess Ikeelu beat me to this one.   This came up on stratics.  Seems like a very effective solution to the games problems.  Wanted to add that there are at least 20-30 people ready to quit over this issue (that we know about).  I'm willing to bet it's higher than that. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone to quit, either.  Before you say that just consider what certain players are wanting.  Don't treat your customers like dirt.  Simple really.

There's no magical reason to keep power scrolls as PvP only.  A Trammel Shard with all content is a great idea.  No xfers in or out.

Edit:  A message to moderators.  There are fewer active users here than on stratics.  If you want to know why, it's the moderation.  Go ask them.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    I would not oppose a trammel only and a fel only non transferable shard. 
    Or a new shard that is normal (tram and fel) that is non transferable too. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

I guess Ikeelu beat me to this one.   This came up on stratics.  Seems like a very effective solution to the games problems.  Wanted to add that there are at least 20-30 people ready to quit over this issue (that we know about).  I'm willing to bet it's higher than that. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone to quit, either.  Before you say that just consider what certain players are wanting.  Don't treat your customers like dirt.  Simple really.

There's no magical reason to keep power scrolls as PvP only.  A Trammel Shard with all content is a great idea.  No xfers in or out.

Edit:  A message to moderators.  There are fewer active users here than on stratics.  If you want to know why, it's the moderation.  Go ask them.

Funny how you can not get any of those 20 to 30 people to come here and post.  Looks like they are happy the way things are.  Or they just reside in your mind.
  • No need for a new shard, that would be a waste of dev time and resources. just play in tram only or in Fel only if that's what you enjoy.  The devs need to work on bugs and client issues. 
    edited February 2019
    I think the real fear of this is that it would ruin the other shards.  Most of the population would want to play on the Trammel shard in peace.  They want to avoid the toxic griefers.  They would start over to avoid PVP.  The idea is very popular.  They’d probably make a mountain of cash as people bought character tokens to quickly build.

A trammel shard could still have consensual guild vs guild pvp.  Just require both guilds to declare war before its allowed.  That would be a balanced approach.  None of us would have to participate, ever.

Remember runescape made a pvp server for its game and it lasted about 6 months before they pulled the plug.  Bulk majority is not interested in pvp.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    i think you’re making a mistake calling a fel only shard a “pvp shard”. I would play it mainly as a crafter. Not for pvp. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

edited February 2019
    Mervyn said:
    i think you’re making a mistake calling a fel only shard a “pvp shard”. I would play it mainly as a crafter. Not for pvp. 
    I see no issue with a felucca shard.  However, I predict a trammel shard would be way more popular.  

To be clear a tram shard is no pvp everywhere, no felucca gates.  All champ spawns available in tram.

A felucca shard is no trammel, all areas offer pvp. No area is safe.
  • i doubt it would ruin the other shards, there would be a rush to try out the novelty of it for a couple of months, then most people would get bored as they have everything they need quickly with no worry that the local PK is going to find you before you finish that spawn for the 1000th time. The whole experience would start to feel like shooting fish in a barrel. you'd have a small dedicated group that would stay there and some folks that would play off and on.  it is doubtful that the devs have the resources to add a new shard, or even convert a third one, plus it would mean they have three different rulesets to manage which would further delay bug fixes and optimizations to the clients. best to just leave it be and work on bugs fixes and client improvements.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Wanted to add that there are at least 20-30 people ready to quit over this issue (that we know about).  I'm willing to bet it's higher than that. 

Biggest line of BS I have ever heard
    I think the real fear of this is that it would ruin the other shards.  Most of the population would want to play on the Trammel shard in peace.  They want to avoid the toxic griefers.  They would start over to avoid PVP.  The idea is very popular.  They’d probably make a mountain of cash as people bought character tokens to quickly build.

A trammel shard could still have consensual guild vs guild pvp.  Just require both guilds to declare war before its allowed.  That would be a balanced approach.  None of us would have to participate, ever.

Remember runescape made a pvp server for its game and it lasted about 6 months before they pulled the plug.  Bulk majority is not interested in pvp.

I don't think you really get it, there is no fear. :)

We are begging to send all the easy mode players off somewhere so they can destroy the game and the economy all to themselves, without dragging the game itself down.

We'd also love a fair and equal Felucca only shard to match.

The only thing stopping this, is the developers, it's down to their concept of workload, what it would mean for the game, how would it really play out - would it be genuinely better or worse for the game, they are probably scared to try it.

As for Stratics, versus the moderation here, the moderation here is fine, I usually end up being moderated by all sides, due to the fact I'm very blunt and logical in a way that people cannot handle, it causes too much controversy, I get it. Stratics is only more popular because this site is brand new, and this site only caters to live players, as opposed to Stratics that has many inactive players posting tons of rubbish. But to be fair, some of that is valid also. Both sites have a purpose - you can discuss things more freely on Stratics across a wider range, but here, you know you are talking to genuine players only, which also has its advantages.

Runescape was not known for its PvP - UO has in its time been known for some of the most fluid fast paced fun PvP going. Though dismount is of course currently ruining that flow.

• Runescape currently has 1 million subscribers, and has breached 1 billion in revenue.  Similar games, one has no pvp.  It’s not rocket science.  UOs pvp isn’t good.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Please be mindful of the terms of service when posting, thank you.
    edited February 2019
    Runescape currently has 1 million subscribers, and has breached 1 billion in revenue.  Similar games, one has no pvp.  It’s not rocket science.  UOs pvp isn’t good.

I myself have held up Runescape as a way forward for UO, yes I agree it is having phenomenal success.

The reason why, is they have stuck to their guns, and their roots, they've not forgotten what they are all about, and their vision.

They've focussed on the retro style and simplicity, they are not having to run an enhanced client in tandem... Retro games are back.

https://oldschool.runescape.com/

"Relive the challenging levelling system and risk-it-all PvP" - That is their opening sentence...

Odd line to have for a game with no PvP? Currently 136,000 players logged in.

Superfrog said:
    i doubt it would ruin the other shards, there would be a rush to try out the novelty of it for a couple of months, then most people would get bored as they have everything they need quickly with no worry that the local PK is going to find you before you finish that spawn for the 1000th time. The whole experience would start to feel like shooting fish in a barrel. you'd have a small dedicated group that would stay there and some folks that would play off and on.  it is doubtful that the devs have the resources to add a new shard, or even convert a third one, plus it would mean they have three different rulesets to manage which would further delay bug fixes and optimizations to the clients. best to just leave it be and work on bugs fixes and client improvements.

Yes. Players would go there for the novelty and hope they would become the most popular player.

Then a few would stay.  When a game owed by EA makes a new place to play, it is the last chance for the game and if it does not work we will all get $10 of Pogo tokens and be sent on our way.

If any new shard is created it should be a PvP shard.  We have our PvM shards already and you can choose the population level you want.
    Runescape currently has 1 million subscribers, and has breached 1 billion in revenue.  Similar games, one has no pvp.  It’s not rocket science.  UOs pvp isn’t good.
    LMAO talk about trying to misquote stats.  That is a total subs over its life not current subs and that is 1 billion in total revenue in is life not current revenue.
  • Runsecape has PvP for sure. one thing it has is ironman mode. A challenge where players try to see how long and high in level they can play a character to without dying.  if your character is killed, you cannot get it rezzed. it is just gone.  and you cannot trade with other people or get XP handouts. pretty tough to do.  as far as whether UO PvP is good, that all based on personal belief. I am not a regular PvP'r but have done it in the past. it is fun enough especially if you have a good guild to play with. the whole premise of this is that the OP wants to grab power scrolls with no interference from other players, but power scrolls are PvP content and if you want to farm them you have to learn to defend yourself or at least do it in a group where you protect each other and share the scrolls. 
    edited February 2019
    Bilbo said:
    LMAO talk about trying to misquote stats.  That is a total subs over its life not current subs and that is 1 billion in total revenue in is life not current revenue.
    Runescape has 1 million subs right now.  The 1 billion is over it’s life.

To the other person on runescape pvp.  It’s not forced and there’s nothing you can’t obtain if you avoid it.

Also, UO pvp is built off players making powerful pvp characters and then killing players who enter felucca for certain gear.  The players who enter aren’t built for pvp.  They are free kills.  It’s purely a grief system.  In runescape there is the wilderness, and a few gameplay modes that people can go to for pvp (but almost no one does) and there’s nothing you gain from these areas that matter.

One game focused on PvM and is successful, the other kept the grieving pk system.  Look who’s doing better.  1 million current subscribers vs maybe 10k.

To the other person on runescape pvp.  It’s not forced and there’s nothing you can’t obtain if you avoid it.

I'll agree the "forcing" thing can be an issue.

I feel forced into Trammel, for such things as town buffs, to experience all the new style facets, 99% of events, 90% of all the other artefact drops, all new content.

You only get "forced" into Felucca for 1 thing, I wish I could be in your boat right now.

• IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    The stagnant UO swamp has spoken, they wish the game remain as is. Very-well. I, like many 30 somethings played this game with friends back in 97-07 through school. When I see them from time to time UO is always btought up. I always shoot this game into the dirt saying things like “Yeah, got on UO played a bit, it’s all bot farmers and script pvp” or “It’s UO but now it’s all item based and a major grind” I don’t advocate for this game at all.

PKing is lame. It’s just online harassment. 

Have your game back, I just hoped maybe somebody would take the time to make something I enjoy enough to grab my buddies and say “hey, create a UO account I’ve been playing a lot lately and I think you might like it” 

Game is garbage, again. Thanks for forcing “PvP content” on us.
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
    Ikeelu said:

Thanks for forcing the snowflake generation on us. :)

• Cookie said:
    Ikeelu said:

The snowflake generation has to deal with the world that your generation created.  We don't want to waste our time working through your broken world, so we look to find solutions.  Thanks for trolling us though.  
    @Cookie, Like i said, your game is garbage. Full of cheats, bugs, and grief. I just wanted to play your game without you. Have fun in lala land griefing the npcs. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    A majority of players, from both sides of the fence, are simply not touching this conversation, not sure why.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Why is anyone with an intelligent logical opinion that doesn't match yours, a troll or a griefer?

See it so much these days.

You could have debated with me, you'll notice I wasn't against some of your proposals, just think you've both got that whole histrionic thing going on.

Next thing I'll know, you'll start some sort of #witchhunt movement against me.

Awesome.

Garth_Grey said:
    A majority of players, from both sides of the fence, are simply not touching this conversation, not sure why.

No idea. :D

My friend Rorschach must be asleep, he wouldn't normally let me get this far.

Cookie said:
    Ikeelu said:

The snowflake generation has to deal with the world that your generation created.  We don't want to waste our time working through your broken world, so we look to find solutions.  Thanks for trolling us though.  
    Standard snowflake response.  You can be thankful for the world we have created because if it wasn't for people like us you wouldn't have the ability of free speech.
    @Cookie sadly you can’t debate here, you can simply state your opinion and leave or the thread is locked.

However, If you pvp fine, keep it up. If you pk fine, keep it up. If you want to live out your UO days in Fel fine, keep on keepin on. But please tell me why you are in this thread? The only responses should have been voices for this idea. You lose nothing if something like this were implemented, or do you? Do you lose the ability to PK? Is that it. Are you scared that people will take their time to the safe shard? You know they will.

Remember after Tram first hit? The richest most successful sat at Brit bank proud. They had 0 reason to ever get PK’d again. Then the devs messed it up, they added critical game changing skill and stat caps to Fel only content. Then the player base declined.

Few people want to be PKd, I have chars and item sets on those chars for pvp. If a pk shows up and wants some then we PvP. If im on a PvM temp with items that suit PvM I simply get killed? What is that?

You say runescspe is successful because it is true to it’s roots. UO gave that up with AoS. They got greedy, saw the writing on the wall and knew they needed to make the game an eternal loot grind. Now UO is a sandbox loot grind. Dont think so? I just reactivated an account from 02 not a single viable item or character on the account (aside from an ethy) why? 

Anyway you get my point, I do t get yours.

last, I’m not entitled. I defended this country, I carved my place, I have a good job and I don’t give or take handouts. I have no control over people on the internet. I call trolls and griefers what they are. There is nothing gained by player killing in an online game. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s keeping rapists off the streets... I dunno. 

Have fun being proud of killing people in a video game about role-playing and fantasy where they have eliminated any negatives of doing so. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
This discussion has been closed.