Leakage

Just so everyone is aware. People can tell who is logged into general chat even if you don’t speak in it.

So if you’re a regular champ hunter and you’re wondering how you keep getting caught, it’s because we know when you’re online so know when to scout.

(This is why my scouter does not log into general chat also) 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• psychopsycho Posts: 290
    edited February 2019
    Factcheck:

Partially true.

Meanwhile people can see who is in general chat, the person has to speak first. If a person doesnt say anything, he can not be seen online in general chat.

Happy to factcheck your statements any day of the week Mervyn :)

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    No I’m talking about third party programs can see who is connected to gc. You don’t have to speak first. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• Mervyn said:

So if you’re a regular champ hunter and you’re wondering how you keep getting caught, it’s because we know when you’re online so know when to scout.

(This is why my scouter does not log into general chat also) 

So Mervyn admits to being a cheater lol

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    So as 99% are connected to gen chat, you could tell how many are active per shard?

Or do you search by individual name?

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Perhaps you could supply details of the program you are using to achieve this to Bleak?
  • IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    Does this program give location? I was once talking smack to a PK who likes to harass my spawn. I was in the middle of nowhere lumberjacking when he just smiled in gen chat. 30 seconds later I’m PvPing wondering wtf. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited February 2019
    It boggles my mind that  @Kyronix @Bleak or even @Mesanna

hasn't seen this thread, and isn't right this very second, or sometime tonight, or this weekend, planning to follow Mervyn and his guild around on Europa, watching each and every thing they do. Never has there ever been a bigger or better invitation to do so.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I'm not suffering from leakage. Could it be an age thing? :D
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    Really?
    I just assumed they had a macro running a hidden toon on an unused account that sent them a text message when someone showed up. That way they would have a second "player" to back them up (not that anyone would multi box another player)

Until UO is truly sandboxed so NO external or "helper" programs can interact with it PVP is ..... oh hell I'll just get edited out again.

But ask yourself was that fellow who beat you last really not running any "cheat" programs? Was he/she really quicker at choosing the right attack or just better at writing macros? Did they have quicker reflexes or just a quicker computer and or internet connection.

NOTE this is no an attack on any individual but on a community. Give me an access to non PVP power scrolls or even better phase them out of the game and I'll leave you alone.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    What does "better at writing macros" mean ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    oh a simple example would be "if my char shows poisoned then apply bandaid" done properly should not require any input from player. If robo miners can answer a GM surly someone could work that macro out.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,045
    Cookie said:
    So as 99% are connected to gen chat, you could tell how many are active per shard?

Or do you search by individual name?

Right here.  What are the numbers!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    The chat server leaks the chat I.d numbers and you can look up on uo.com what char that chat I.D number is. 

I am letting you know as a public service as I for one found it quite intrusive to find out. There are some privacy concerns. Maybe you don’t want everyone to know what times you log in/out. 

edited February 2019
    Deleted

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,257

I didn't used to have to look up on uo.com. :)

I'd built a spreadsheet that listed all id numbers and character names in the past. I then linked known characters, and player names where I could.

The reason I did this, was pvpers who've acted like idiots, always changed their names, then tried to infiltrate our guild/faction for example - with the id numbers, I could track them.

So it is leaking chat numbers somewhere, the obvious question the devs will ask is where?

My questions would be, can you see the total numbers online at any time?

And if you could, and had created a spreadsheet or pivot like the one I mentioned, you could add names all the way down as well - and like you say, times.

• I'm not completely following this... but it sounds like something that needs to be looked into. *nods*
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    Mervyn said:
     you can look up on uo.com what char that chat I.D number is. 

Where?  I have never seen anywhere on uo.com that gives that information  I'm sorry, but I am having trouble believing this claim.
    edited February 2019
    When someone demonstrated to me proof of concept, (it was a few months back) i thought i remembered pasting the number into myuo char search, and being very surprised to see that it worked, however i've just tried it and it doesn't seem to be working. Think maybe they changed the myuo site in the last year.

I have a character I champ with, an archer, last did Rikktor at Khaldun spot on Thursday. But when I log the character in how would you know whether I'm champing, or gathering arrows in Ilsh, or in Blackthorn's, or at Navrey, or building fame for sacrifice virtue in Hythloth killing balrons? 
    With your suppa duppa info, can you tell me the name of that archer?

I think you're blowing smoke.
    edited February 2019
    I am not saying that, all i am saying is that chat I.D log ins/out are public, some people use certain chars only to protect at champs etc, I used that as an example.  

I'm just saying that SOME people MIGHT use this info just to know when people are online, for WHATEVER purpose. All i'm letting people know is that if you're logged into chat, your online status is visible to those with third party programs. That is all.

Not location, not account, not anything else. Maybe nobody cares...
    I'm just letting people know. Not blowing anything up any orifice. It was @Garth_Grey who seems to think everything i post is outrageous, not me. 

So.   We've gone from 'we know when you're online' to 'some people might use the info' and from 'you can check it on uo.com' to actually, no you can't do that. 

But apparently some people, not you, can use an unnamed 3rd party program to know if someone's protector character is online, if the character is logged in to general chat. I've got that right? 

So in essence what you're telling us is don't have your protector char in general chat? Use instead party chat, guild chat, alliance chat, or a specially made chat channel.  
    Not sure about you, but my position has remained stationary.

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
    I don't know what the program was called, but I saw for myself in 2007. Someone I knew used a program, that all you had to do was type in someones name. The program brought up a dot on a map, with the coordinates of the players location... I always wondered when I told this person that I was dead, that they would be there in a blink of an eye... we were not in a party & I never used joined chat until 2010... 

When he showed me that, he told me to say anybodys name and when I named a random person it went directly to their location... and these were people he had no idea who they were... it was very creepy
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Transfer Char and ID# will change.
  • Mariah said:
    Perhaps you could supply details of the program you are using to achieve this to Bleak?
    Is he too shy to ask himself?  :D
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    edited February 2019
    I think the devs got a memo not to DM me anymore.

I don't have the details of the program, i wouldn't use any such illegal third party software, they'll have to ask my superiors. But if a program can obtain info from a server, the solution is to stop the server leaking info.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Mervyn said:
    I think the devs got a memo not to DM me anymore.

I don't have the details of the program, i wouldn't use any such illegal third party software, they'll have to ask my superiors. But if a program can obtain info from a server, the solution is to stop the server leaking info.
    OMFG  I know there is a program out there that can do all of this but I do not know any details about it but you know I know it is out there somewhere, it has to be.  Are you serious you swear up and down that there is a program out there that can do all of this but you have no clue about it, I want what ever it is you are taking.  LMMFAO
    Come on you may be PVPs but really.

The "leak" is probably the doorway that lets your "legal" 3rd party programs work. If it can grab your location to work let alone your guild mate's how hard to get the location of everyone else. And thinking about it, is there anything those programs do that wouldn't require your location info to work and if it can get your's how do you stop it getting everybody else's. Remember we are talking about a 20 year old program.

The posable fixes are probably 
    1. Block all access (kill 3rd party programs)
    2. Put in some really strict security requiring verified permission before releasing data ($$$$$ and a pain in the ass to use)
    3. Trust that that player trying to kill you player "wouldn't use any such illegal third party software,"
    All in all it seems like a feature that should be added to EC map. It would be nice to glance at the map and see who is on and were everybody is rather than have to call out on general chat. Be useful to avoid the crowd as often as join one.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,045
    edited February 2019
    I will believe this when the source can tell us how many accounts logged into Atlantic, LS, and Chessy yesterday, right now, last week Whatever time frame they can get..  @Mervyn

A spreadsheet with the account #s would suffice.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    I don’t have the program, I was shown a screenshot a while ago. 

Maybe they fixed the leak since then *shrugs shoulders* 

if you don’t beleive me then don’t worry about it. 

This discussion has been closed.