Dismount FTW

IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
Returning player here. Like most, i used to pvp back when mages carried regs and dexxers just needed aids and a gm weapon. Good times. I played through DP hally whack, double strike large battle axe, faster casting implementation, and... the birth of dismount (bola balls). However, today’s pvp is sad. Not because of gank but because of ranged dismount and gank. If i remember correctly you were vulnerable while you spun up a bola and it warned everybody you were getting ready to do some cheap BS. But now an archer (prob an afk stealth dual client) will pop out and dismount. No warning, no skill, you’re dead. Dismount wouldn’t be a problem if it’s just melee vs melee. I have parry and bushido... I can parry and evade through hits to remount my ethy...but mages... hmm hard to catch these guys to interrupt or parry all these spells guess ill just die while i get dumped on and spammed... SO... you want parry nerf? Make it 25% across the board at 120 parry or 120 parry/bush for 2HD drop parry from 1HD. Then add spells to the list of attacks that can be parried. I seen Jedi parry lasers, I seen UO cover art blocking dragons breath with shield. To top it off make Evasion increase parry to 40% the current max value. AND FOR THE LOVE OF THIS GAME REMOVE DISMOUNT. I came back, had about 10 minutes of excitement because my noob self was red lining a murder ninja who was still being healed by his mage buddy then poof... im on foot... dead, no warning. It’s funny how pvp can be entertaining when I can choose my will... but when I get a death sentance that is not my choosing, not entertaining. So if anything remove dismount from happening to anybody not red or VvV. Or add VvV flagging in tram, you should get no rest, You choose to be red, you choose VvV. I’m done with my rant and im done with Fel at peak hours. Sad... i was having some fun chasing even if it was a circle jerk. Enjoy the bandaids... i didn’t even have pots.
esdxWhere is the bank? 

Comments

• ...or maybe you need to think about a way to deal with dismounts?
    btw potions would have increased your chance of survival in that situation. You could have survived long enough to wait out the re-mount cool down and hop back on your horse. Or were you only riding an ethy?
    Dismounts are nasty, no doubt, but it's not like there's nothing you can do to counter them.

You said yourself that you're a returning player who pvped before AoS. Things have changed drasticly and you might just still be out of touch with modern day PvP. Give it a little more time, adjust your template, get a real mount (in case you were using an ethy) and keep at it.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2019
    If they removed dismount then everyone who plays EC would be invincible as you just run offscreen. 

And yeah make sure you ride a vvv mount. (Can res them yourself with a bandage macro no vet required)

also people can miss with bolas now. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PaithanPaithan Posts: 120
    Ikeelu said:
    Returning player here. Like most, i used to pvp back when mages carried regs and dexxers just needed aids and a gm weapon. Good times. I played through DP hally whack, double strike large battle axe, faster casting implementation, and... the birth of dismount (bola balls). However, today’s pvp is sad. Not because of gank but because of ranged dismount and gank. If i remember correctly you were vulnerable while you spun up a bola and it warned everybody you were getting ready to do some cheap BS. But now an archer (prob an afk stealth dual client) will pop out and dismount. No warning, no skill, you’re dead. Dismount wouldn’t be a problem if it’s just melee vs melee. I have parry and bushido... I can parry and evade through hits to remount my ethy...but mages... hmm hard to catch these guys to interrupt or parry all these spells guess ill just die while i get dumped on and spammed... SO... you want parry nerf? Make it 25% across the board at 120 parry or 120 parry/bush for 2HD drop parry from 1HD. Then add spells to the list of attacks that can be parried. I seen Jedi parry lasers, I seen UO cover art blocking dragons breath with shield. To top it off make Evasion increase parry to 40% the current max value. AND FOR THE LOVE OF THIS GAME REMOVE DISMOUNT. I came back, had about 10 minutes of excitement because my noob self was red lining a murder ninja who was still being healed by his mage buddy then poof... im on foot... dead, no warning. It’s funny how pvp can be entertaining when I can choose my will... but when I get a death sentance that is not my choosing, not entertaining. So if anything remove dismount from happening to anybody not red or VvV. Or add VvV flagging in tram, you should get no rest, You choose to be red, you choose VvV. I’m done with my rant and im done with Fel at peak hours. Sad... i was having some fun chasing even if it was a circle jerk. Enjoy the bandaids... i didn’t even have pots.
    "i don't like dismount please remove it" was essentially your post.  There are plenty of things you can do when dismounted and it is far from a death sentence.  Especially if you are only being attacked by 1 person.
  • IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    The TLDR was 2v1 pvp was enjoyable until I was dismounted by a stealth archer and ganked. I’m actually not worried about the state of pvp or dismount. I entertained the pks one time, never again. They live for that fight and when they couldn’t get an easy kill they made one happen. I was saying, like others, I will not bother with pvp again until something changes. Like I said I have parry/bushido *pops evasion*, see ya! 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 2019
    I have a macro setup to dismount, and bola + current target, and re-mount my pet. Next I am planning to poison his pet before chasing.

My enemy has around 2 seconds to poison my pet while I am dismounted, then we are even - both dismounted.

It might be different if I am using the Bane dragon...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • amitamit Posts: 36
    Can we lock this discussion? 
    @amit You’re off topic. Please contribute a method to enjoy being dismount ganked or counter being dismount ganked. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
    edited January 2019
    Whenever there is a slightest chance of getting ganked, use the most powerful skill in the game ever - Run and keep moving.

If you are good like some guys I knew, you can perhaps kill the chasers one at a time along the way. Otherwise just run.

No PK can kill you if you choose to run 24/7, make sure you are not on the island where Mervyn blocks your exit.

And pray hard the most powerful monster does not spawn at the wrong time - the legendary Lag Monster...  >:)
    Sometimes leading the exhausted chasers into guard zone help... unless u are in vvv. It happens when the red tend to forget its guard zone and then... lightning flashes... and their screen is grey. 
    @Seth I realize this tactic works well. However, the point I was trying to make was that dismount took all the fun out of the encounter. I was going back and fourth in a 2v1 and holding my own because I could run if I needed to. It is FUN to play the odds to see if bandaids will kick in for me and if I land one more blow before his he dies. Or hmm... evasion on cooldown and the buddy just cast FS, I’m running. During all the fun I was lured to a stealth archer and dismounted. I was poisoned and barraged and died 3v1. Not fun... the archer could have joined the fight in another manner and I could have chosen to continue or call it quits. DISMOUNT ruined the fun. Dismount special moves ruined PvP, you cant swing a bola stealthed, you cant even attempt to use a bola on somebody zipping by. Nobody dismounts 1v1 except tamers, mages, and archers... why? Free win. Sure there are several tactics to combat this but at the end of the day if I have to walk out of a dungeon and all exits are manned by stealth dismounters... screw that. I have my 120s I have everything actually. I play to see what I can do solo. Never been beaten in PvP 1v1 I don’t kill people either but I don’t mind that. Bottom line DISMOUNT is just a chump card, if you use it you probably don’t have the skill or patience to win without it and anybody with a hard counter to it beats you terribly all the time. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited January 2019

I think there is far too much dismount in this game.

Whole of PvP now revolves around it, and quite frankly, it's not a fun way to play.

It's single handedly created the parry issue.

No need to say more.

*Off to join in, or be the victim of a few more Dismount Gank Trains for the evening.*

!Or maybe come to my senses, and say enough of this crap!.

Ok got it and understand its hard to survive gank when dismounted. I am in the same situation.

However in Asia pvp, I have seen good players. 

Players who stayed on because of pvp, who breathe eat and talk only pvp. 

When its many vs 1, they can hold up pretty well in open areas and took very long to kill in some instances using teleport and run. 
    edited January 2019

But this isn't pvp, and it isn't a fun way to play - it's about having an IWIN button.

Simple as that.

I don't care how hard or how easy it is, I can survive for 5 minutes on foot v 3 people, I'm that good, but it's a shitty style of pvp.

Put us all on foot, make us all mounted, make the playing field equal. I'd prefer if we were all forced to be on foot.

One skill, should not have so much power over the whole of pvp, that everything revolves around it.

Cookie said:

But this isn't pvp, and it isn't a fun way to play - it's about having an IWIN button.

Simple as that.

I don't care how hard or how easy it is, I can survive for 5 minutes on foot v 3 people, I'm that good, but it's a shitty style of pvp.

Put us all on foot, make us all mounted, make the playing field equal. I'd prefer if we were all forced to be on foot.

One skill, should not have so much power over the whole of pvp, that everything revolves around it.

All on foot would be incredible! If you flag you dismount! Too easy! Make the remount after heat of battle.  
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
    I like the idea of allowing anyone to dismount with any weapon. So it makes levelling the field easier, all dismounted. 
    Seth said:
    I like the idea of allowing anyone to dismount with any weapon. So it makes levelling the field easier, all dismounted. 

Be nice if mages could dismount with spells to. :)
  • PaithanPaithan Posts: 120
    Wow some extra bad ideas in here.
    Paithan said:
       :D
    Paithan said:
    Extra bad because? 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
    Why are most duels on foot? Oh ya, mounted combat is senseless. Nobody can kill anybody 1v1 with mounts and running. Take the mount away and this changes. You can’t get out of range fast enough to save yer arse. 
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
    Ikeelu said:
    Why are most duels on foot? Oh ya, mounted combat is senseless. Nobody can kill anybody 1v1 with mounts and running. Take the mount away and this changes. You can’t get out of range fast enough to save yer arse. 
    Come to think of it, quite true.

I also started pvp before AOS and we fought mostly on foot. 

Tourney is also dismounted.