Evasion Timer Broken

The evasion timer is supposed to be 20 seconds.  The problem is the timer to recast evasion starts right when someone starts to evade (which lasts 6-8 seconds).  That makes it so the actual timer is somewhere between 12-14 seconds.  I have brought this up many times before- but never got an answer as to why the timer works like that.  Can you let us know if that was intended- because it seems pretty broken to me to be able to Evade 60% of attacks for 8 seconds, have a 12 second cool down and repeat.  

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Don’t all cooldowns work from time of activation rather than end of effect? 
    Genuine question, are there some cooldowns that start from end of effect over activation? 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PaithanPaithan Posts: 120
    Mervyn said:
    Don’t all cooldowns work from time of activation rather than end of effect? 
    Genuine question, are there some cooldowns that start from end of effect over activation? 
    Most other cool downs that I can think of are instant cast/use and don't work for an amount of time such as the 6-8s of evade.  

That 6/8s on a 20s cool down is pretty significant. You are evading for 30-40% of the cooldown.  
    Well, how does gift of renewal and skill cooldowns work? say you meditate and after 10 seconds i’m sure you can meditate again even though you’re still meditating. 

As far as I can think, every cooldown is from activation and I’d like to keep things consistent. 

Perhaps you’d like to simply increase the evasion cooldown time.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Mervyn said:
    Well, how does gift of renewal and skill cooldowns work? say you meditate and after 10 seconds i’m sure you can meditate again even though you’re still meditating. 

As far as I can think, every cooldown is from activation and I’d like to keep things consistent. 

Perhaps you’d like to simply increase the evasion cooldown time.
    Skill cooldowns are all the same. Skills are also instant (see post above).

This is a spell (and a spell that uses a timer).
    I’m sure when the devs set the spell duration, they incorporated the cooldown timer into their calculations. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise as this is how every cooldown works. 

Mervyn said:
    I’m sure when the devs set the spell duration, they incorporated the cooldown timer into their calculations. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise as this is how every cooldown works. 
     Forgive me if I don’t take your guess as fact. 

I will wait wait and see what the devs say. If they say that a 12 second cool down to evade 60% of spells is correct then ok. If it was overlooked As many things have been over the years ... then they just need to correct/extend the timer to align with an actual 20 second timer. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I like the way it is for pvm. No issue to enforce the 20s for pvp.. though heh. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    I think anyone that uses it likes the way it is. 

You can have evasion up 40% of the time you are playing and evade 60% of the spells for that time.  Makes it pretty hard to die.
    edited January 2019
    Paithan said:
    Seth said:
    I think anyone that uses it likes the way it is. 

You can have evasion up 40% of the time you are playing and evade 60% of the spells for that time.  Makes it pretty hard to die.
    I am not sure for pvp, so I would assume that is true without going deeper. Will leave this for those who are using it for pvp to discuss. 

For PvM, not so much. Actually, does evasion really evade all spells 100% during the 8 secs window? In my experience, I don't recall that it is 100% effective, I.e. perfect immunity in the 8 secs. Some still go through.

In any case, one blood oath at the unexpected time is still instant death if I don't tab out in time. Not everyone has the same quick reaction. Like when fighting the Dark Father and its minion or the Lich at the Roof, it's easy to get carried away in the battle fighting the spawns and Boss at the same time, and suddenly BO strikes.

Actually I did not try to time the 20 secs but I did test that I have the full 8 secs. If there is really only 12 secs of cool down and not 20... it still feels awfully long lol...
  • Seth said:

For PvM, not so much. Actually, does evasion really evade all spells 100% during the 8 secs window? In my experience, I don't recall that it is 100% effective, I.e. perfect immunity in the 8 secs. Some still go through.

In any case, one blood oath at the unexpected time is still instant death if I don't tab out in time. Not everyone has the same quick reaction. Like when fighting the Dark Father and its minion or the Lich at the Roof, it's easy to get carried away in the battle fighting the spawns and Boss at the same time, and suddenly BO strikes.
    You misunderstood how evasion works. It does not let you evade 100% of incoming spells and damage. It has a 60% chance of doing that which is why you still get hit with spells etc. every now and then. There is no such thing as perfect immunity nor should there ever be. That being said  60% is a lot, especially when combined with 120 defensive skill, 45 dci and 120 parry.

Concerning your bloodoath  problem: try running 100 or even better 120 resist and bloodoath will no longer be a problem. You will still take increased damage but it won't kill you in one hit and thus give you time to eat an enchanted apple or whirlwind to make up for the hp loss and the duration is drastically reduced.
    Ok thanks, then I misread. So what I experience was correct that it is not 100 percent effective in the 8 secs. Also agreed that resist spells help except that I stone it off or on depending on the type of fight. 

60 may be alot for melee but not for spell attacks? That is we can sacrifice DCI after +resist to the armor.  

Regarding the 20s cooldown it seems to make sense as what Mervyn said that cooldown starts from the activation. Its that way for several other skills isn't it, like animal lore.

Frankly speaking, I am using evasion more of a protection when in danger. I would counter attack or swap between evasion and confidence during the cooldown. And Bushido mastery is set to active. 
    edited January 2019
    Sorry all, btw this is posted under Pvp and vvv, so what I wrote about Pvm may be considered off topic. 

All I ask if changes are proposed and initiated for pvp then pls apply to pvp only. E.g. SDI, damage increase etc. For example I heard the change to added to timer for clothing swap in EC was due to PVP but it affected PVM as well. 
    The response time on threads is tragic.
  • IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    It is tragic that casting evasion is how you raise bushido and it can only be done every 20 seconds. 

I can’t always wait to let a group of monsters pile up for momentum strike.

However please nerf PvP bushido and parry to the ground so mages can become glass cannons. They will just pre-cast gank until a good combo drops you. 

The only people upset about bushido(evasion) and parry are classes that havent spent points in them. Take away the possibility so we can all just run poison, I hear the crying now... NoXXerz got no skill, pvp broken cause everybody uses 1h dp and chugs, rng is bs fix pvp. 

News flash. Too many variables in pvp, pvp is broken. This game will eventually fail because of open world pvp. 

Can we put these guys in a dedicated arena with no mounts already? Oh my bad pvp isn’t fun when it’s remotely fair, I forgot.

esdxWhere is the bank? 
    Ikeelu said:
    It is tragic that casting evasion is how you raise bushido and it can only be done every 20 seconds. 

I can’t always wait to let a group of monsters pile up for momentum strike.

However please nerf PvP bushido and parry to the ground so mages can become glass cannons. They will just pre-cast gank until a good combo drops you. 

The only people upset about bushido(evasion) and parry are classes that havent spent points in them. Take away the possibility so we can all just run poison, I hear the crying now... NoXXerz got no skill, pvp broken cause everybody uses 1h dp and chugs, rng is bs fix pvp. 

News flash. Too many variables in pvp, pvp is broken. This game will eventually fail because of open world pvp. 

Can we put these guys in a dedicated arena with no mounts already? Oh my bad pvp isn’t fun when it’s remotely fair, I forgot.

I have evasion on 2/3 of my mains because of how overpowered it is- if you were referring to me.  
  • IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    It takes 120 skill and it’s defensive abilities. You just lost offensive capability. Wether it be tactics for specials or poison or inscribe... all to evade for 8 seconds... while you try to dump, then run away for 12 seconds... then come back... ya I get it. Like I was saying, fight on foot, in the arena 1v1 and then tell me how OP evasion is... hint, it’s not. Because to win you gotta cast and to cast you gotta stop and when you cant make break neck manuvers and put 8 tiles between you shit gets real. 

PvP is pay to win anyway. Thats why the only PvP i do anymore is popping evasion and running away.
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • Weak-minded players take advantage of OP templates to make for their lack of skill.  People that use some originality are usually the ones who get better constantly and the OP users just fall further behind the eight ball.  Couple that with people using UOS and ER and their skill drops even more.  That's why pvp is dying, one day hopefully the team wakes up and shut's down all these programs and make the game more enjoyable.   P.S. I don't play any casting evade templates and I rarely die in game unless ganked, but ganking is ganking no matter what you play.
  • TjalleTjalle Posts: 77
    And then there are those hilarious moments when they brag about how "good" they are and how everyone else sucks.
    It´s obvious they are too stupid to realize how dumb they sound. But hey, what can be expected from someone who has to cheat to play...
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    This thread seems to have strayed from the topic
This discussion has been closed.