City Buffs

With players complaining about the lack of diversity in town buffs on some servers, other players complaining about the gold upkeep, lack of governors in towns on some servers without an in game method to run for office outside of the election times. I have a thought, I know some of these concepts have been mentioned by other players elsewhere, but i'm putting them out there again. 

In exchange for a donation to the city coffers Let players Pick which buff they want . This solves 3 issues with one addition to the game. 

Then Add the same buffs for a fee from Slim the Fence for Reds at an increased price.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited January 2019
    Cutting the weekly price in half would be fine with me.

If you could choose, most would be a citizen of Brit because it is easy to get to since they have a rune.  If i could choose I would use Brit so my titles say of Britain.

If you could choose any, I would just turn the buff off for the city that I am the governor of.

As in RL there is a lot of apathy towards the city Govts.  My main toons have city titles. Very few players use city titles.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Pawain said:
    Cutting the weekly price in half would be fine with me.

If you could choose, most would be a citizen of Brit because it is easy to get to since they have a rune.  If i could choose I would use Brit so my titles say of Britain.

If you could choose any, I would just turn the buff off for the city that I am the governor of.

As in RL there is a lot of apathy towards the city Govts.  My main toons have city titles. Very few players use city titles.  
    Cutting the weekly price in half still wouldn't solve the issues of lack of buffs being available on some servers. 

Well you could look at it as players get the title they want and the buff they want. A win win. All they have to do is fork out more coin to that town, showing more support to the governors decision even if it isn't the one they personally use. 

Players with a lack of Coin will have more loyalty to the town that offers the buff they use most for free. 

"If you could choose any, I would just turn the buff off for the city that I am the governor of."

Why though? If your town has the funds, why would you turn off the buff?  With players choosing their own buffs would help compensate the coffers as well. 
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    edited January 2019
    The problem with the city loyalty is that the concept is about being loyal to a city, however if people dont get the buff they want, they change town, so much for loyalty to the city eh

I think King_Greg propose a good solution here which will solves the buff problem.
    As for reds, the city loyalty program is based on trammel towns, and reds not included.
    Leaving a box for donation at slim the fence and let people pick buff there does include reds too aswell as an extra money/resource drain.

The only negative effect I see with this change would be that the Govenour loses some of his power as he can no longer chose the buff for the city. The govenour who already has very few powers over the city.

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    The whole premise of the weekly fee was flawed from the start, 2 mil a week on Atlantic is probably doable whereas 2mil a week on oceania is just ludicrous. The fact there is no economy of scale on it just kills the small shards. 

Should just be a flat fee to get the buff if it is set by the Governor, 20k per day per citizen, 40k per day for non-citizens.  That way the USERS pay not the governor or the town kitty (or lack thereof)

However, It would be much better if you could just pick your buff, 20k per if you are an adored citizen of any town, 30k per if you are not, and 50k if you are in fel. (means you need to keep your rep up with a town).   The money goes to the town you get the buff at and the town you collect the buff from could be rotated as they do the xmas tree artisan festival, ie brit this week, moonglow the next etc so that one town doesn't get all the money etc.

they wont change it though as these issues have been bought up again and again since the governor thing was established. It is hopeless on small shards but meh, who cares right?

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2019
    The city buffs are self regulated by players. If a small shard can not afford to supply a city buff, the players don’t receive one. There is no issue here. The whole system is self regulating and has been working fine for a long time. As for diversity, again this is self regulated, the governor chooses the type of buff. If everyone wants FC1, that is what he/she will choose, if the governor doesn’t behave, a different governor might be elected next time. 

If anything the weekly cost should be increased, 2 mill a week for an entire shard is too small amount. I could easily provide that on my own. Even 50 mill a week is reasonable.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    Some posts have been removed. Please express disagreements without bringing personal attacks into your reply.

Thank you
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Mariah said:
    Some posts have been removed. Please express disagreements without bringing personal attacks into your reply.

Thank you

I missed those, can you please PM them to me so I can read?

I turned Minoc off on LS because the funds were below 3M.  It is still off but the funds have grown to 25M because of Krampus.  The most requested are on other stones.

LS is pretty laid back, I bet most players do not use the buffs because they have their suits built and are fine as they are.  I play a lot and do not use them often.

So, for me, a lower price would keep the buff on longer.  So, the stones are self regulating. I put a ballot box in Minoc for players to choose the buff.  I was the only one that voted.  So I basically will put the buff on that I want and I pay millions for the city title I give my Minoc toons.  No city on LS has SSI and I only need it if something drops my archers stamina.  I won Minoc by 1 vote.  The one vote I cast for myself.

A fel payment buff would not help on LS, not enough PvP to add.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    psycho said:

The only negative effect I see with this change would be that the Govenour loses some of his power as he can no longer chose the buff for the city. The govenour who already has very few powers over the city.

They can still pick the current Trade deal for the town and provide it for 2m a week for free to the citizens who want to use it. 
    Mervyn said:
    The city buffs are self regulated by players. If a small shard can not afford to supply a city buff, the players don’t receive one. There is no issue here. The whole system is self regulating and has been working fine for a long time. As for diversity, again this is self regulated, the governor chooses the type of buff. If everyone wants FC1, that is what he/she will choose, if the governor doesn’t behave, a different governor might be elected next time. 

If anything the weekly cost should be increased, 2 mill a week for an entire shard is too small amount. I could easily provide that on my own. Even 50 mill a week is reasonable. 
    The concept of having to rely on the WHIMS of individuals to pick in game buffs, with a 6 month election cycle, as self regulating  and working "Fine" in an mmo is a joke. Especially when the Governors can literally just turn off the buffs. 

Letting players pick their buff for coin, regardless of whether there was a governor or not, would be self regulating, and an actual gold sink. 

Not going to touch the 50 mill per week is reasonable comment with a 50 foot pole. 

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2019
    So a governor turns off the buff, so what? then you don’t get the buff... it’s not exactly game breaking. 

I would say the issue is that the buffs have become too heavily relied upon because they don’t dissapear after death and are not able to be purged. Maybe if the buffs disappeared after death and could be purged people wouldn’t build their suits around them. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    So a governor turns off the buff, so what? then you don’t get the buff... it’s not exactly game breaking. 

I would say the issue is that the buffs have become too heavily relied upon because they don’t dissapear after death and are not able to be purged. Maybe if the buffs disappeared after death and could be purged people wouldn’t build their suits around them. 

It's not game breaking, but it is detrimental. 

Loss of 5% Swing speed increase can equate to 18% decrease in DPS, or the loss of 30 Stamina Cushion. It can also lead to an 18% Drop in Mana Leech/Life Leech to have to compensate for the loss of the buff on your weapon.  To players who are trying to push the limits of their suits and gear, this is a huge detriment.

To a pvper who builds a multi plat suit to use a -1 faster casting weapon, the loss of the +1 FC town buff negates the abilities to use the weapon. The difference between a good 1/3 Pvp jewel and a 0/3 pvp jewel is about 200-500 Million gold. So the town buff can also save new and returning players money to get started in pvp. 

The rest of the game buffs aren't as huge and can be more easily compensated with gear.  Especially since the addition of global loot. 

If you feel the buffs should be removed all together then you can start your own thread and I will argue with you there about that, but so far all you have offered is your personal opinion that the system works after saying 50 million a week would be acceptable. players should just build their gear to not need the buffs, and that the buffs should be removed all together, Meaning you have ample funds and don't use the buffs much to begin with, so you've brought nothing to this conversation about what can be done to improve access to the Trade Deal system.