Costume Design Contest - Don't Hate Me Dev Team

AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
edited November 2018 in General Discussions
Cetric posted the following in another thread here and it got me thinking that this deserves a thread of it's own.

Cetric:
Meanwhile on other places on the internet.... The work people do for free.  Broadsword should take note.  Not just in the art department, but systems, mechanics, PvP, pvm, events, game mechanics, achievements, questing, you name it.

\End Cetric

Now that we have a few house design contests under our belts and we have shown the Dev Team that we do indeed have the game's best interest in mind (for the most part! lol) maybe they could offer up a costume design contest. 

Just some thoughts.....

The Dev Team could give us the basic char template artwork so all submitted designs start off with the same size, shapes, etc. Give us the rules on what the requirements are for submissions. JPG, gif, I dunno, not my field but maybe someone else who does graphic arts can offer up these details.

In order to qualify all designs would have to be submitted in all views (north, south, east, west, bending, walking, dead up, dead down, CC, EC and what ever else I'm missing). Yeah, to me it's a lot but maybe that's what it takes to do this.

As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't care if it were just the Dev Team that has voting rights. In fact I think that would be best. To keep things viewed as being fair by all parties the designs would be submitted to a disinterested 3rd party who would remove any names, labels etc that would identity who the designer is and then submit them to the Dev Team.

Anyone caught posting their designs to either forum prior to the contest would be disqualified.

Basically, what I'm trying to do here is to make it as easy as possible for the Dev Team to say Yay and not Nay. Have any thoughts, ideas on how to make something like this happen/work? I'm sure there are tons of artistically creative people that would love to have the opportunity to do something like this.

Kind regards.

AW

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I have to say, if I were a designer on this game, and I knew that work like that was being produced on free shards.......well I'm just gonna let that float there for a few........ok that's long enough.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    Got to admit, those designs and artwork are incredible.
  • I am so super diggin the green archer get-up.

Ranger/Archer/Tamer is my happy-RP place.

Devs!  Take help from the community and let's all win/win! All the love~~~~~
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • I cant believe we haven't had any new clothing since Tokuno expansion, was that 15 yrs ago or so? There have a been just a small few brand new wearables graphic wise, like the Epaulette which I love. 
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    After seeing those new hair and beard designs I really hope they won't attempt clothing... :D
  • *hides in a water-lined lead-and-asbestos shelled bunker for when Mesanna sees this thread*
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Im fine with those.  Have a dev go to the shards and copy them back.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • *hides in a water-lined lead-and-asbestos shelled bunker for when Mesanna sees this thread*

Move over.
    I’ll bring the popcorn
    I’ll bring the popcorn
    i've got the cookies.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• TimTim Posts: 790
    I’m away from my computer cruising the South Pacific for another week B)  so can’t check myself but can either  graphics engin ( cc or ec ) handle that fine a resolution?  I find that anything zoomed in enough to really see is badly pixelated. 
    To be fair I should say I don’t care about the look of UO beyond ease of play. 
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    At the 20th anni party there was talk of ''user generated content'' for a future publish. Not sure what was meant by that and I have not heard anything about it since then, but I am very, very curious.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I was just asking around about this too, there seems to have been no mention of it since we first heard about it.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited November 2018
    I cant believe we haven't had any new clothing since Tokuno expansion, was that 15 yrs ago or so? There have a been just a small few brand new wearables graphic wise, like the Epaulette which I love. 
    You don't count the wearables added with ToL? Or any gargoyle clothing and armor?

The castles and keeps are somewhat different, we create them in game, using in game tools. You couldn't do that for costumes. As for 'user generated content', would the eowmu count? The notes say:
    The look of this creature was heavily inspired by one of our Japanese players, Eowyn
    I do wonder if those very pretty paperdolls you posted have all the matching outfits and animations on the avatar, or if they can only be viewed static, on the paperdoll.
  • Aye. I've wondered that too. This was one of the points I was addressing when I was suggesting that if there were to be a contest the submissions would/should be done in all directions and movements. And the Dev Team could supply the basic form artwork.

But is there  anyone out there who could really do all this?
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    If there were to be a contest, most people will end up being extremely unhappy with the results just like the castle design contest. 
  • I wouldn't let that prevent a contest. You'll always have people who have strong opinions. It's human nature.
  • There are plenty of people I know that left OSI shards because of nothing more than feeling unheard By the dev team. And I know a few that have done artwork like this that have said often that they’d be fine with the work going to the devs to be used in prodo shards. 

The game has been running over 20 years. Because of that a lot of people have learned world building and art rendering, etc on those, and if any were even glanced at by EA a lot of it could be really cool. Ultimately it’s up to them but this picture is one of thousands of examples that people do love the game and are dedicated to improving/expanding it. 
  • Where are they now? Get em here!
  • *quietly walks into the room and sets a piece of paper on the table* 
    *you pick up the paper and it reads( http://www.andrea.net/uo/general/art/) *  
    I understand that a for profit business cannot profit or use non contracted artist art  for the same reason why there are no more seers, igms, councilors, companions and don't forget the companions oh and briefly lived advisors , but surely you can draw inspiration from it or enter into a contract with a artist the same way you do with the event moderator program . Having been a volunteer briefly back in the day until they found out I was not my grandmother and was actually a 10 year old I have often considered applying for the Event moderator, position but after what clops did I doubt bonnie would even consider me since I know she kicked me from the program for being under age back when she was the lead of that  program *waves to the dark lady and winks and blows her a kiss before ducking around a corner* .