EJ Account w/ ToL Possible ?

So I tried looking for an answer but couldn’t find one. Anyone know if this is do-able ? I was thinking to sub the EJ then purchase Time of Legends. Only buy 1 month of game time so I could purchase ToL then just not pay anymore & let it turn back into an EJ account.

Question is, will that wipe the ToL already paid for once it goes back to EJ ? Or do I get to keep the expansion I paid for on the EJ account? Appreciate any help figuring this out :)

Comments

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417

From the official page : 

What do I get with Endless Journey?

Endless Journey accounts receive complimentary access to all Ultima Online expansions through Stygian Abyss. Other expansions can be purchased and applied to an Endless Journey account. Endless Journey accounts have access to the Ultima Online core features and can enjoy exploring Britannia, training character skills, making friendships that will last a lifetime, and much more!

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    You have to be inactive for 90 days to convert to EJ.  So if you do what I think you said, you will not be able to convert to EJ for a long time.  EJ accounts can buy all upgrades.  The only ones that do not apply involve more than 2 toons being able to be used. (unless the account already has the max number of toons..)

Any upgrades you buy for an account will stay with the account foreva.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Thanks SO much guys :)

I must of misread that somehow. Appreciate the help & clarification ! 
    Seeing how it’s been over 5 months & no word on the “revisit” of 3rd party programs, I’m considering alternatives.
  • EJ was not meant to be an alternate way to play UO.  IT was to give new and returning players a bit more time to get the feel if they were ready to join the paying public.  Every time one of you crafts a way to stop paying is another nail in the UO coffin.   I hate to say this  many of the older players might not be able to return to save the day if this continues.... add 21 years to the average age of a UO player in 1997...

I ran into a player I helped when he was 16 in 97 he is now 37 and his kids are in high school!! His play time has been cut way back by life...  and he is not the only one.    I have been here a long time and paid more then I care to mention to the game.   If it turns out EJ gets to killing the game  don't be surprised if one day you go to log in and its gone.   Smiles and pats on the head don't pay the bills.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Pawain said:
    You have to be inactive for 90 days to convert to EJ.
    120 days, not 90
  • EJ was not meant to be an alternate way to play UO.  Every time one of you crafts a way to stop paying is another nail in the UO coffin.

EJ is most certainly meant to be an alternate way to play UO. It’s very design insures this. The limitations set by it dictates alternative play styles.

Your assumption I wish to stop paying is wrong. I start my main account weeks after UO went public & have NEVER ONCE let it lapse, even when I quit playing for almost 2 yrs. I have always kept my account active by paying each & every month for +20 yrs.

If it turns out EJ gets to killing the game  don't be surprised if one day you go to log in and its gone.   Smiles and pats on the head don't pay the bills.

I recently returned after ~5 months break (again, never once stopped paying) and was entertaining the possibility of starting an EJ account. One reason I quit playing was every single person I know, with VERY few exceptions, had switch to using a program that I refuse to download. I have always maintained that a game one must cheat to play isn’t worth playing. I was hoping to find some where an updated “revisited” list of acceptable/unacceptable programs.

We’re coming up on 6 months from when I 1st made a very polite thread concerning this. There has been no response or update since then. I would be glad to bump that thread but feel it would just stir contempt & be a moot point, thus have not.

I’m sorry if my question and/or response rubs you the wrong way but I assure you I have paid my dues to UO. I love the game & will continue to support our team even when feeling grossly let down by either the lack of or inability (possibly the decision is not Broadsword’s?) to follow through on a list we were told was in the making 6 months ago. I feel I have been more than patient. <3
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Acid_Rain said:

I was hoping to find some where an updated “revisited” list of acceptable/unacceptable programs.

We’re coming up on 6 months from when I 1st made a very polite thread concerning this. There has been no response or update since then. I would be glad to bump that thread but feel it would just stir contempt & be a moot point, thus have not.
    I'm not so sure you haven't had a response. Not in so many words perhaps, but the recent updates to the in game macro system for cc will greatly reduce the need for any supplementary 3rd party programs, allowed or otherwise. The publish notes also, if I remember right, included a note that more were on the way?
  • Acid_Rain Please don't take this personally. My comments are in general not at any one person or group.

Now the original call for the game to copy the F2P game style with the game store being the major money intake for UO was in part one of the reason the Powers of UO designed EJ. There was no way to take the game into this "free" game play without EA having a cow at the loss of the money flow waiting for players to cough up the bling.  UO was way too old and not set into the money coming in just by purchases in the store.   I hear every day from players who want their cake and eat it too.... I guarantee if EA ever posted the grand total the "store" makes compared to the old account intake you will find there is no comparison. Accounts still cover the bills not EJ. 

I went to the Meet & Greets. I listened to the Dev try to explain the why and how's of what exactly EJ was going to be and how it was set to work.   They couldn't do the F2P but they could extend the time new and returning players could try the game. It was to be restricted in scope, meaning you have limits on what you can have and own. Housing and its limits made many scream. Storage in the bank... led to vaults.  What your confusing is the fact the game has to limit the EJ. UO is still dependent on the monthly sub. 

The day the EJ launched I saw lots of "young" and returning vets... but they thinned out in the months that followed. A good handful did Subscribe which is the reason EJ was made.  There is a big "but.." in this.  I also have listened to the chat and heard many who wanted to play UO but stop giving the sub.  Some of the chat is about how to go about running in EJ. How long you need to stop paying to take your accounts to EJ and joining in the complaint group to see if they can break the teams will to keep EJ as it is.   

I am sorry Acid this is not on you .. but I have to stand and listen to players bad mouth the game because they cant get the game to full F2P.  I have paid for my accounts every month over the 21 years I have played in UO.  To have someone come and tell me they can get the same game for nothing and thank me for being so stupid to pay for the game They get for free. (Yes I have had a few tell me I am paying for their game)

I will tell you one observation I have made that I can only attribute to EJ... As you know Atlantic has always been so busy its hard to get in the Luna bank without a shoe horn.... This now has been changed. I have been on most of the shards that lost their players to this shard. At first a small thinning of the bank, leading to more PvP chat making the chat channel turning the air blue.

Most times you see banks busy till the wee hours close to the server down... now.. 3 to 5 hours before server you will barely see a few dozen people.  I am getting worried that the population is getting close to the tipping point of EA's limit before they put the sign on the door that the game is about to go into sunset mode.   Which will make EJ a very moot point... 

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204

It's not really a fair assumption to judge the population by the amount of bank sitters. I've personally helped 5 returning players in the past month. Considering I only play a few hours a couple days a week I think that's doing well.

With the returning player EJ accounts that sub, you also have to remember they're coming back with countless years of lost content to explore, having no gold and trying to play on a young adult schedule.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Urge said:

It's not really a fair assumption to judge the population by the amount of bank sitters. I've personally helped 5 returning players in the past month. Considering I only play a few hours a couple days a week I think that's doing well.

With the returning player EJ accounts that sub, you also have to remember they're coming back with countless years of lost content to explore, having no gold and trying to play on a young adult schedule.

Its funny when a returner comes to LS and yells out about the dead shard because I am not plopped in Luna.  I'll look around and can find 20 players in the usual busy areas. And there are many regulars I don't know.  
    The graveyards were full of Skeletons that I never see around.

On LS: The best way to have silence in general chat is to go to the shard and proclaim it is dead.  All the conversations abruptly end.  (Unless I decide to tell them to go away because we like it dead).
    Ask a specific question and you will get answers from names I have never seen before.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    since EJ came out, I have seen lot of people come back. they see they can't place a house and they right away subscribe. And they are loving the new content. EJ is not a failure by far. People are coming back and staying to play. They are amazed that a giant beetle is better than a greater dragon. And that you can go fight a Great Ape one moment & a T-rex the next. There is lots to discover and explore.

EJ brings them back, its the community that gets them to stay
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited November 2018
    Petra_Fyde said:

I'm not so sure you haven't had a response. Not in so many words perhaps, but the recent updates to the in game macro system for cc will greatly reduce the need for any supplementary 3rd party programs, allowed or otherwise.
    I understand your point but respectfully think you are blissfully unaware of certain programs that fully automate actions in PvP. Auto heals, auto cures, auto bandages, auto potions, auto trapbox, auto stone walls thrown automatically 2 spaces infront of other players w/o any target placement needed... (just to name a few things). 

Not that I don’t appreciate the hard work they’ve put in to add greater functionality, I certainly love what’s been done & am thrilled by the prospect of even more.... but to think a suit switch macro will lessen the desire or use of other programs is a bit naive. Without a level playing field, I’ll prob hang around till Xmas then go back to DICE servers that run anti-cheat software. I maintain, a game one has to cheat to play isn’t worth playing.