News Flash! A new type Giant Turkey attacked me in the woods north of Brit, east of Yew.

Atlantic Shard!  Today... just less then 2 hours ago. (11/2/2018)

I was off... innocently hunting trophies for my friend's new décor... when I was set upon by "a Giant Turkey" that was unlike ANYTHING of the 2010 spawn.  All I did was kill a turkey... and this popped up, causing me to run as fast as I could to get some attack room... because it was SUPER FAST!

Nothing I could do would damage it as a mage.  NOTHING!

I quickly brought in my Discord Tamer... with a super dog, that can take 8 super undead without much trouble.  It nearly killed her without much effort.  PLUS, it summoned red-tagged common birds.  They didnt do any real damage, but they are just pests... until you are zapping it with spells.  Then these pests upset spell-casting.  The tamer had no choice other then withdraw before the dog was killed.

Thankfully, I could call in a powerful friend and we managed to get the "Super Turkey" trapped outside a public house so we could try and fight it.  For OVER AN HOUR!!!!! Fighting, casting, zapping... with everything we could until it tried to wonder away.  And then... no other choice then to finish the battle.  It died without any special fanfare.

All this?  For less then 5000 gold.

Totally insulting!!!!!!!!!!

Again, this is perhaps like fighting 30 of the 2010 giant turkeys at the same time... with bonuses.

- Area damage attack.

- Summoning pest bird spawn.

- Dispel of summoned monsters to help fight.

- Disrupt spell casting ability.

My trophy hunter is only a moderate mage and she nearly died dozens of times in this battle.  Less then 5k in gold is just 100% insulting.  If this is the new thanksgiving spawn?  I'll pass.

How did it come to be?

Best I can tell... simply hunting turkey... in effort to get a bigger weight on a hunting permit.

If you are doing the same?  See one?  RUN!  Dont come back.  If you live in a house and you see one?  Good luck!

The poor house hunter may log in and see over 200 junk bird spawn inside his house.  I was so worn out form the battle, I gave up after 30... AND they are FAST and a little more powerful then the real thing.  Not that they are at all bigger or have better loot.  Just a waste-o-time.  :-)

Owner of the Red & Purple Mini Mall, established 2001. - The Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood [Town] Atlantic Shard.
Proud member of the Department of Mayhem.

Comments

• This is...normal. There is a rare chance when hunting turkeys for a giant turkey to spawn, with a bunch of attendant red birds in tow.

Unfortunately, the rewards are significantly lacking and there is no chance to get any of the original mutant turkey items. 
  • Well, bloody hell.  :-(

If I could change the subject line (I dont see how), I would.

Its NEWS to me!  I must have killed thousands of these things without ever seeing one before.  They are as good as harpies for feathers (the normal turkey).

Still, its a horrid waste of time.  I hope people still know about these and just leave them be.

Owner of the Red & Purple Mini Mall, established 2001. - The Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood [Town] Atlantic Shard.
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    Do you know the story behind them?  Some Halloweens back, there was this ghost grass that grew in October.  Well, turns out the Turkeys ate the grass and became massive mutant beasts!  At any rate, these guys were really easy to provoke so were great agents of death for my bards.  I was tempted to run an event where everyone brings their tamers and a pack of turkeys for sacrifice in a dungeon somewhere to try and summon one of these creatures.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    also if you empty out a horn of plenty & kill the turkeys from them, you can spawn one that way too. I had to call in help several times to kill them. And once I did it, before I could attack it, there was a message that said something about it being teleported away. And it was gone. Lil bit later I was running the coastline of Moonglow for honesty items & all of a sudden it teleported to me again... there was a message about a disturbance in the woods and it appeared... had to call in help to kill it... I believe it took 3 or 4 people 20-30 mins to kill them. 

I used to clean out the horn of plenty on my front steps of my castle and I have an "awning" above the steps. When the giant turkey would spawn it would be sitting on top of it. At the time, I had no clue how to do screenshots, otherwise I would've gotten a shot of it... funniest thing... I believe this was two years ago, cause last year I waited to empty out my horn of plentys. The last thing I need is to summon one inside my castle again lol. 

I think the craziest one I did was spawn one inside the Luna walls. I guess that one wanted to go shopping at my vendors hehe
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Sable said:
    Do you know the story behind them?  Some Halloweens back, there was this ghost grass that grew in October.  Well, turns out the Turkeys ate the grass and became massive mutant beasts!  At any rate, these guys were really easy to provoke so were great agents of death for my bards.  I was tempted to run an event where everyone brings their tamers and a pack of turkeys for sacrifice in a dungeon somewhere to try and summon one of these creatures.

Thank you for that description. I remember when that was around. I was killed by one of those giant turkeys back then. I was playing by myself at the time and had no idea what was going on. So I just stayed away from the woods.
  • "Remove Thyself" still works.  :-)

I was working in a friend's keep the other day and a harmless forest spawn popped... and a critter was alive and well on the 2nd level open area of the keep!  I was shocked... but was a great opportunity to test to see if you could still just throw people/pets/beasties out.