Could someone on the Dev team give us a direct answer about future development of the EC?

Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

Reading through the patch notes for Pub 103, it gives the impression that you have completely abandoned development of the EC.

The EC is filled with bugs, some existent for an extended time, with no mention of addressing them. Now you are adding work already completed for the EC to the CC, along with new features that are CC exclusive. 

If you have decided to develop for the CC only, that's fine, it's your game. It would just be nice to know what the future direction of the game is going to be.

Many developers now provide roadmaps, over-arching goals with timelines, both to excite the segment of the audience they are targeting, and to prevent the frustration and resentment inherent in mis-leading or teasing along customers (both current and potential). 

As a long term customer, it would be nice to have some direct honest answers.

Thank you and good luck.

-Arroth

Comments

• Sounds like what us CC users said when they introduced the EC lol.  And then allowed people to mod it, all the while still keeping the CC mods outlawed.  

All I hear from EC users is "man, I can't do the CC anymore, it sux, EC is so much better!"

So they are catching us CC users up to where yall are...finally.

don't fuss

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2018
    I’m not able to log in and test at the moment but there’s a mixed message about the new dress feature:
    for classic client it reads regarding dress:
    ”Item slots which are already occupied will be ignored.“
    This is brilliant.

however uder enhanced client there’s no such update.

I hope this doesn’t mean the EC will retain its advantage for being able to dress an already occupied slot. 

Will require testing. 

I am very very impressed with the classic client updates, they made it very fair so dexxers no longer need to use EC to compete as you can arm the same way in CC now. Very impressed with the consumables macros. 

Christmas has come early, I can’t beleive how many good changes there are. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    Mervyn said:
    I am very very impressed with the classic client updates, they made it very fair so dexxers no longer need to use EC to compete as you can arm the same way in CC now. Very impressed with the consumables macros. 

Christmas has come early, I can’t beleive how many good changes there are. 

I've read those changes, and I'm absolutely stunned.

Amazed.

Wow.

At bloody last. :)

• I seriously can feel the love flowing in these forums today lol.

Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    edited October 2018
    EC gets enough attention as it is.  It was about damn time the CC finally got some improvements. It needed these updates badly.

I really like the weapon arming options. Is it possible to increase the number of recordable weapon sets to 5 or 6? That would be very helpful. Often times 4 weapons are not enough.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    cobb said:
    EC gets enough attention as it is.  It was about damn time the CC finally got some improvements. It needed these updates badly.

I really like the weapon arming options. Is it possible to increase the number of recordable weapon sets to 5 or 6? That would be very helpful. Often times 4 weapons are not enough.
    Which is why they will not give advance notice of any improvement unless they are sure they get it to work on a antiquated 20 year old client EC was written to replace and update.
  • If the EC was better than the CC, then people would have flocked to it in droves...
    funny how EC people get so salty just because CC got a couple of improvements
    It's not the improvements to CC that bug me it's the nerfing of EC or improvements that aren't going to happen because there is no chance it can be done in CC.
    Tim said:
    It's not the improvements to CC that bug me it's the nerfing of EC or improvements that aren't going to happen because there is no chance it can be done in CC.

Except it can be done in CC as we are beginning to see. Script users/private shards have been showing us for a long time what CC is capable of.

CC has been artificially held back all this time, deliberately to get people into EC.

But as Uriah has said, if EC was better, we would have all gone there.

I bet you find, people will flock to CC way faster than they do to EC, I know people uninstalling EC in droves already. They were forced there, to have a worse playing experience, just for a few ingame macros, or suchlike, that could have been built into CC.

• Cookie said:
    Tim said:

Except it can be done in CC as we are beginning to see. Script users/private shards have been showing us for a long time what CC is capable of.

CC has been artificially held back all this time, deliberately to get people into EC.

But as Uriah has said, if EC was better, we would have all gone there.

I bet you find, people will flock to CC way faster than they do to EC, I know people uninstalling EC in droves already. They were forced there, to have a worse playing experience, just for a few ingame macros, or suchlike, that could have been built into CC.

CC still is super laggy and no scripters or any private shards were able to fix that.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Tim said:
    I agree with your concerns. I am one of those who will quit if EC is dropped. No way for me to survive with CC, its 1990s interface. EC can't match up to the latest game in the market today but it is still way more advanced than CC.

Its funny why they should tailor EC to backward match an older CC client. It is like forcing Apple Iphone 1 technology into Apple IPhone 11 because of nostalgia.

The graphics on CC is really horrid. I always laugh at the CC horse, and swampy graphics everytime someone brings up why they love the CC with all the 3rd party mods like UOA and UO Automap. Are you sure you don't need a pair of new spectacles (if you aren't already wearing one)?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Seth said:
    Tim said:
    I agree with your concerns. I am one of those who will quit if EC is dropped. No way for me to survive with CC, its 1990s interface. EC can't match up to the latest game in the market today but it is still way more advanced than CC.

Its funny why they should tailor EC to backward match an older CC client. It is like forcing Apple Iphone 1 technology into Apple IPhone 11 because of nostalgia.

The graphics on CC is really horrid. I always laugh at the CC horse, and swampy graphics everytime someone brings up why they love the CC with all the 3rd party mods like UOA and UO Automap. Are you sure you don't need a pair of new spectacles (if you aren't already wearing one)?
    Unfortunately, this is the way the developers are going now :(

I'm a big fan of the EC and using it for years. Lately it always gets the short end, like why is there no auto open corpse for both clients?

It's sad...
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    JollyJade said:
    Seth said:
    Tim said:

Unfortunately, this is the way the developers are going now :(

I'm a big fan of the EC and using it for years. Lately it always gets the short end, like why is there no auto open corpse for both clients?

It's sad...
    Last year or so, I recalled seeing in the news that the someone in the Dev team commented that "wow, there are still many using the CC". It is like they are shocked and somewhat, "impressed" that substantial numbers in the community still use CC today, in 2017/2018, 20 years after that first CC came out. When Microsoft, Apple, have gone through dozens of changes, there are some that can't live without older interface.

Maybe they are still using Windows 3.1 at home, or Symbian Nokia phones. Fortunately, they are not going to put those into our latest gadget.

Go ahead and flame me, CC lovers. I believe most of us are already near 40-60 in age. I can take some beating. Bring it on, why is CC still great today!?
  • Early days, I am sure EC will get these same updates very soon. Patience! EC has had lots of updates over the years. I can't remember the last time CC had this kind of update. Maybe 16 years ago? I mean.. its been 20 years and until now CC has never had potion macros which is insane lol. You EC users are too spoilt <span>:dizzy:</span>
  • Seth said:
    Tim said:

The graphics on CC is really horrid. I always laugh at the CC horse, and swampy graphics everytime someone brings up why they love the CC with all the 3rd party mods like UOA and UO Automap. 

And we laugh everytime we see your hiryu graphics, etc etc.  

And 3rd party apps?  We all laugh when yall bring that up, cause we know the majority of yall dont use the EC, You use Pinco's.
  • Seth said:
    Tim said:

The graphics on CC is really horrid. I always laugh at the CC horse, and swampy graphics everytime someone brings up why they love the CC with all the 3rd party mods like UOA and UO Automap. 

And 3rd party apps?  We all laugh when yall bring that up, cause we know the majority of yall dont use the EC, You use Pinco's.
    You can't use Pinco's without the EC. You want to say the majority does not even use the EC with the default UI, but they use the EC with Pinco's UI.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Ignoring the usual pointless 'client wars' rubbish. Here are my thoughts.

Yes, there are some bugs in EC I would like to see fixed - however I don't suffer from all those others mention and I wonder if that's because I don't use Pinco's. I find the default ui perfectly adequate for my needs and have no reason to add that rather substantial package to my pc.

As to the recent additions to CC - here's my guess/assumption.  If the team can add to the client the functionality of UO Assist, then Tugsoft can stop supporting a program he has long ago stopped using himself and probably finds a burden he can well do without and Broadsword/EA may be able to totally outlaw all 3rd party programs, possibly even making it that none of them can connect. Something much harder to do when there is one approved that has to be allowed access.
    JollyJade said:
    Seth said:
    Tim said:

You can't use Pinco's without the EC. You want to say the majority does not even use the EC with the default UI, but they use the EC with Pinco's UI.
    Sorry, I use vanilla EC, no add-on. I don't have any issues with the game as it was intended, I can handle Dark Father, The Roof, Osiredon, Khaldun, etc pretty well. Its a complete software.

CC, without UO Assist and Automap, I can't play. Its an incomplete software.
    Come on, try harder, CC diehard. Its time to fight. Come on.
  • Don't know what you wnat me to say lol.  Played CC twenty years, with no UO assist.  Seems fine to me

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited November 2018
    Seth said:
    Sorry, I use vanilla EC, no add-on. I don't have any issues with the game as it was intended, I can handle Dark Father, The Roof, Osiredon, Khaldun, etc pretty well. Its a complete software. 
    You must have meant to quote Uriah, but yea.. me too. EC with default UI is totally fine. Lot of CC users are totally overestimating the amount of players going through the hassle of installing Pinco's.

My post was in response to Uriah who believed you can use Pinco's without the EC.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I"ll say it, the devs know exactly how many people  using the CC also use the program which shall not be named (how stupid is it that keep having to do this??), and they know how bad the numbers game will look if they were to ban them all, they're not stupid. So they're going to continue to update the CC to keep those subscribers.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    It's unfortunate this thread has already devolved into the typical CC vs EC battle. I am an EC user. I cannot play on the CC. I personally find that client horribly antiquated. I could list everything I find wrong with that client, but I won't. I also understand some people prefer the CC, just like some people prefer the EC.

I for one am very happy for the CC changes in this patch, as it means those that like the CC are getting a better experience. I am not bitter or upset that CC got updates and the EC didn't. Maybe that's all Bleak had time to work on this patch. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to unravel the ancient code of the CC without breaking something else.

To those of you saying EC players are hypocrites for saying CC users can't play without 3rd party addons and then citing Pinco's. Well the EC was designed to support UI Mods (which is what Pinco's is, a UI mod, not a 3rd party program). Pinco's cannot do anything the client does not want it to do, unlike certain 3rd party CC programs.

To those of you that say "just delete the EC" or "just delete the CC", you really need to get over yourselves and realize that other people with different preferences play the game. If you just "delete" either client, you will lose a large portion of the playerbase. If they were to remove the EC suddenly and only support the CC, I know I would personally stop playing. I simply cannot play on the CC, it is way too clunky for me. Just like some of you cannot play on the EC because the 3d effect makes you dizzy, etc.

I've met many returning players that have said the EC has enabled them to return to the game. They have played other games with more modern interfaces, and they wanted to return to UO, but had a hard time with the CC again. The EC has provided a better transition for them to come back to the game. 

Stop turning this into an EC vs CC battle, and instead just be happy the Devs are trying to improve the game experience where they can, even if it doesn't directly benefit you.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• InLorInLor Posts: 354
    edited November 2018
    CC fixes and updates are long, looooong overdue. Be glad with your EC and your Pinco's. CC deserves a whole lot more lovin'...!
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
    Since I apparently wasn't clear

I am happy for any improvement in CC the same way I'm happy for some one I barely know telling me they are expecting. Great, happy for them but really don't care.

What I object to is when the client I use is hobbled to maintain parity with the other. A loooong requested fix that is finally in 103 is the ability to use locked down BOD books. If they could have fixed this long ago in just one of the clients but not the other, would it have been released then?

They just changed the dress macro in EC, a minor change but still annoying because according to Kyronix "This is to increase parity between the functionality between both clients as well as maintain balance." If he had said it was just being done to fix an cheat I wouldn't complain.

Finally I don't care
    1. what client you prefer
    2. what improvements they add to your client
    3. If your client has features mine doesn't (if they matter that much to me I would switch)
    I am happy to see Kyronix and the rest of Broadsword team make any improvements. I just wish they wouldn't limit themselves with the question "can it be done in both clients"
    edited November 2018
    "Can it be done in both clients" is actually a very important concern. Without it you have an imbalance in the clients. Fair and balanced gameplay is a major concern in most games
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Khyro said:
    It's unfortunate this thread has already devolved into the typical CC vs EC battle. I am an EC user. I cannot play on the CC. I personally find that client horribly antiquated. I could list everything I find wrong with that client, but I won't. I also understand some people prefer the CC, just like some people prefer the EC.

I for one am very happy for the CC changes in this patch, as it means those that like the CC are getting a better experience. I am not bitter or upset that CC got updates and the EC didn't. Maybe that's all Bleak had time to work on this patch. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to unravel the ancient code of the CC without breaking something else.

To those of you saying EC players are hypocrites for saying CC users can't play without 3rd party addons and then citing Pinco's. Well the EC was designed to support UI Mods (which is what Pinco's is, a UI mod, not a 3rd party program). Pinco's cannot do anything the client does not want it to do, unlike certain 3rd party CC programs.

To those of you that say "just delete the EC" or "just delete the CC", you really need to get over yourselves and realize that other people with different preferences play the game. If you just "delete" either client, you will lose a large portion of the playerbase. If they were to remove the EC suddenly and only support the CC, I know I would personally stop playing. I simply cannot play on the CC, it is way too clunky for me. Just like some of you cannot play on the EC because the 3d effect makes you dizzy, etc.

I've met many returning players that have said the EC has enabled them to return to the game. They have played other games with more modern interfaces, and they wanted to return to UO, but had a hard time with the CC again. The EC has provided a better transition for them to come back to the game. 

Stop turning this into an EC vs CC battle, and instead just be happy the Devs are trying to improve the game experience where they can, even if it doesn't directly benefit you.
    AMEN

Didn't mean to help turn this into a CC EC fight, can't stop myself sometimes. (ever). >:)

Blame the Jelly Beans. B)

cobb said:
    "Can it be done in both clients" is actually a very important concern. Without it you have an imbalance in the clients. Fair and balanced gameplay is a major concern in most games
    Lets just say I disagree. Fair and balanced gameplay is maintained by your choice of client, macros, add on programs and so on.  

But back to topic I was giving my opinion on why the answer to the question "Could someone on the Dev team give us a direct answer about future development of the EC?" is no