Who ever heard of a game called Multima?

I found a very wonderful, informative, video of Richard Garriot and Starr Long giving an exhaustive history of the UO franchise, it's birth, and it's existence post-mortem.

This sheds a lot of light on our beloved MMO.  It also gives insight on the player base and how the system and hierarchy of the game's support works, not to mention, how the game was viewed and received, the game's tie-in to Ultima 9, the designers, producers, and programmers, and their views and history.  It even explains why llamas were so important to UO. lol

Thought provoking was the major word that came to my mind.  

I hope everyone enjoys.
  1. Did you play the beta?6 votes
    1. Yes, I paid 5$ to start the game!
      50.00%
    2. No, I was in middle school, no job, no clue, and out of the loop!
      50.00%
Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Comments

• NamelessJourneyNamelessJourney Posts: 133
    edited October 2018
    I checked 2, but I wasn't in middle school. Gonna watch vid, and thanks for it.

I'm reminded about actually looking at the services on uo.com from years ago, before there weren't advanced character tokens you actually had to call a hotline, and request that service you gave them your account name server character name and email and a game master would meet you in game to give your advanced character (I got a tamer that way), and I remember also they noticed I hadn't played at all that month well I think they said I had only a few hours in game so he gave me the month free.

I haven't watched the whole video but I remembered some of that listening to Vogel talking for a bit. You know, I think there won't ever be another story like this in the game industry, and reminds me about the origins of the game. I started playing around AoS, and the game had taken a pretty stern change by the time Samurai Empire came out.. I didn't really like that expansion so much, but hiryus were pretty beefy so it was ok.
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    I was not in middle school, but I thought - "Wow, what a rip off! Who would pay money every month to play the same game. This will fail fast."

I think I may have been wrong in my assessment. 
  • SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited October 2018
    I actually started because a friend at Toys R' Us told me about this crazy game he was playing online where you could craft and own a house, not to mention join a guild and PVP.  I was already pretty heavily into these little, unknown games called Diablo 1 & 2 and needing something new.  Everquest days had passed already for me also.

Lo and behold when my friend told me it was Ultima, I was surprised.  Not only had I heard about UO from its launch, but I remember watching the nerds play it at my local hobby shop where everyone played Doom and tabletop games like Warcraft. 

I remember the day Lord British was killed.  Everyone in the shop was laughing their asses off.  I even remember the owner being pissed because of the long lines he had to wait in to buy gear.

I had played Ultima 3 and Exodus on the PC and on the NES when I was in middle school.  I was already obsessed with those games because of the character classes, the virtue system, and the old school RP.

I took to UO like a duck to water and played from 2000-2004 every day lol.  I still have my Blackthorn state here somewhere.........  

The whole phenomena is very interesting.  What's even more interesting is how the game is treated to this day; the spirit of how it works and the light-hearted but quite serious feud between dev vs player ( or rather, everyone vs EA.) lol 
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited October 2018
    It was a good video but holy crap did everyone know Koster was such a douche ? Is douche an ok word to use here ? :-)

The funniest thing about British dying is, there were probably 75 people there I would think, but 500 people all claim to have been there.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I still have my beta CD. UO was a hot mess back then. One could argue if it was playable or not. I was totally content playing Legends of Kesmai on Gamestorm so I checked out UO but didn't really get into it. EA bought Gamestorm and in typical fashion ran it straight into the ground destroying several communities and shut down Gamestorm. Gamestorm was the coolest gaming center that ever existed with a bunch of online games for only 10 bucks a month. Before that you normally spent like 3 bucks an hour to play somewhere like AOL. So a year or so later with no where to go my guild and family moved to UO. I think EA gave us a free month of UO for shutting down Legends of Kesmai. Just in time to discover there was zero housing left on Great Lakes. It was a struggle but it worked out :) Coming to the party a year late I did find the game much more playable and in general stable. UO was the craziest place ever back in the day though.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Every time I hear Garriot say “Shaaaaardzzzzz” I cringe. Also, I wondering if their backs were sore after this @Garth_Grey
  • That was a good watch!

I had to pick option 2, but in college at the time.

My boss at the time actually bought UOT2A and gave it to me the day it came out.  Knowing I was into D&D he figured I might like it.  Turns out he played since the beta days and walked me through how to create a character and told me where to log in and find him.  I spent that evening mostly in gray screen, but had so much fun I never looked back!  My account just turned 20 this year and I try and login as much as I can.
    Loyal to the Pacific Shard since 1998!