Another "New Enhanced Classic Client" request.

psychlo0015psychlo0015 Posts: 20
edited October 2018 in General Discussions
I recommended this before but this time I have a better idea of what I actually want. 

Basically, I want the classic client to be upgraded to the point where we can run it at any frame rate we want. I want the graphics to look crisp and everything to move perfectly smooth as I move through the world. 

There was something like this and it was a client for free servers called "Sallos" look it up on youtube if interested. Something like Sallos would make a heck of a difference in my gaming experience. 

It should retain the classic client user interface. BASICALLY, it should be the exact same as the original only with modern day graphics. 

FOR EXAMPLE, the crafting menus when you click a tool... It looks terrible. Make it looks clean and crisp. Make the game window pop out at us classic client style (not the poor enhanced client style)

Thanks for reading. 

Comments

• No.  They've made 3 clients new already, and all failed.  Including the EC.  Seriously.  Everyone who uses it claims it's so good, but they all use Pincos or a private mod to do it.  

There are mods out there for the CC that will make it do anything you want it to, but for some reason those are illegal and actionable,  whereas you can do whatever you want to EC evidently.  The only reason (for the CC) that they are called cheats and hacks is because the boss said they are.  In the EC, they are called mods...

No more wasted client time in development.  Please let them spend their time on QoL improvements and bug fixes like evryone has been asking for for years and years.
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    EC hasn't really failed.  I'd say there's a sizeable portion using it, since its being maintained.

That aside, the dev team now is a caretaker unit, not a team capable of such a large project.

No more wasted client time in development.  Please let them spend their time on QoL improvements and bug fixes like evryone has been asking for for years and years.
    This.  Except I'm taking it the other way and saying they need to ditch the CC with its decades old interface and code.  Moving to a newer and more efficient client will save dev time from having to deal with CC bugs and QoL crap that EC already has.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    No.  They've made 3 clients new already, and all failed.  Including the EC.  Seriously.  Everyone who uses it claims it's so good, but they all use Pincos or a private mod to do it.  

There are mods out there for the CC that will make it do anything you want it to, but for some reason those are illegal and actionable,  whereas you can do whatever you want to EC evidently.  The only reason (for the CC) that they are called cheats and hacks is because the boss said they are.  In the EC, they are called mods...

I"m pretty sure there's no "mod" in the EC that will let you walk without actually using a mouse. And that's just one tiny example of what the 3rd party cc "mods" will let a person do.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I can walk withouto using a mouse.  It's the arrow keys, a part of the CC.  And @Xare that sizeable portion you mention, is using the EC and majority of them are using Pincos as well.  So no, I was talking vanilla plain clients, no add-ons.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited October 2018
    Xare said:
    EC hasn't really failed.  I'd say there's a sizeable portion using it, since its being maintained.

That aside, the dev team now is a caretaker unit, not a team capable of such a large project.

This.  Except I'm taking it the other way and saying they need to ditch the CC with its decades old interface and code.  Moving to a newer and more efficient client will save dev time from having to deal with CC bugs and QoL crap that EC already has.
    Another kill the CC without a clue that by doing so it will kill UO because we refuse to be forced to play with your fugly graphics.  You notice it says Enhanced Client and nothing about Enhanced Graphics.
  • Oh another one of these threads.  :D
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Just to say 'we do exist'.  I am a player who uses EC, default ui, quite happily thank you. The only concession I make is turning off 'footsteps', because on my pc the visual and the sound were out of synch and I discovered that was the cause of the nausea that spoiled my experience in my early attempts to use it.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I can walk withouto using a mouse.  It's the arrow keys, a part of the CC.  And @ Xare that sizeable portion you mention, is using the EC and majority of them are using Pincos as well.  So no, I was talking vanilla plain clients, no add-ons.

You knew what I meant :P 
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Lol i am so glad that the EC client exists, i will never ever switch back to CC...

• Bilbo said:
    Xare said:

Another kill the CC without a clue that by doing so it will kill UO because we refuse to be forced to play with your fugly graphics.  You notice it says Enhanced Client and nothing about Enhanced Graphics.

Actually the CC really has some ugly outdated textures (the grass texure for example looks so bad and boring...) and let's not even start talking about the GUI.

• SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited October 2018
    I have an I3 dual core steam machine.  EC looks remarkable and I'm using a very average graphics card with more RAM than I should on this little bugger.  60FPS, never faltering, smoother edges, prettier pixels.  The game is dated and that's ok.  

EC is the way to play.  I cannot play CC.  CC is great if you liked the nostalgia of UO, but personally, UO needed to update itself with the current era in gaming.

It did, so I'm satisfied. 

Btw, CC has a discrepancy with character movement and it's timing.  PVP'ers have raged about it since I came back and before that. I forget the actual technical terminology; something about syncing to the server. 

The weeping and rage is always strong in some of these ones though. lol  Let them vent as it were.
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    Bilbo said:
    Xare said:

Sad part?  Most of you wouldn't quit.  You think you would, but UO players are such masochists that they'll still play.  21 years has taught the dev team that. 

Maybe, just maybe, if we didn't have to waste resources on maintaining a client that's over 20 years old, we could get some artists to improve the "fugly" graphics.  Granted, CC itself is a cesspool of ugly and outdated graphics and people somehow like that.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Xare said:
    Bilbo said:
    Xare said:

Sad part?  Most of you wouldn't quit.  You think you would, but UO players are such masochists that they'll still play.  21 years has taught the dev team that. 

Maybe, just maybe, if we didn't have to waste resources on maintaining a client that's over 20 years old, we could get some artists to improve the "fugly" graphics.  Granted, CC itself is a cesspool of ugly and outdated graphics and people somehow like that.
    I have 20+ years vested and yes I will pull the plug on all my accounts if the CC is dropped.  That is %1000 fact.  Put the CC graphics in the EC and then we will talk.
  • The ugliest thing I've seen in game, in both clients is Luna. Trinsic follows closely.

EC graphics are just off putting to me, and I actually think the GUI is excellent in CC. I like being able to drag my short cuts onto any area of the screen and not have those hot bars stacked up and all over the place. I do NOT like the limited screen size of CC, and yeah the grass textures are kind of blah, but over all, there is a charm in the CC graphics for me. Maybe it is nostalgia, but the pixel art is actually good, in my opinion, where as the EC seems like yesteryear's polygonal models that needed a bit more time in the incubator phase to me. I also think Luna is uglier in the EC than it normally is in CC. And when I say Luna and Trinsic are ugly, I don't mean the player houses, I'm talking like city itself. I almost can't believe whoever designed it sat and thought well, this looks good, seems chivalrous and stuff. yeah, put a paladin npc here, and a whole bunch of blah here..

Place needs to be reskinned, not even redesigned, but just put some life into the walls of that place. Maybe change up the yellow brick roads some too. Anyhow, I've played UO on and off since Third Dawn client was a thing, and I will say that was my favorite "other" client of them all, and probably had worse graphics than CC and EC put together.

I do want to continue playing UO in CC style graphics, so if they can actually put the CC graphics into EC I'd try it. DO I think it's worth trying or gonna happen? Negative. But these threads always seem to make me think about weird stuff like that.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    @NamelessJourney you may not have discovered it yet, but the CC game window can now be scaled. See this page: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/classic-client-user-guide/classic-client-options-menu/

Since this thread seems to have become the usual vitriolic client wars, I think it's time to close it.

This discussion has been closed.