Resources (Ore, Wood) back to static spots please

There was a longer discussion in march https://forum.uo.com/discussion/155/ore-and-wood/p1 and with the upcoming artisan festival in december, I would like to renew the request for static spots for wood and ore.

Comments

• I second the motion!
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    YES
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    Easier for scripters.  I think its not happening.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    At the very least, please add Frostwood to Dread Pirate and merchant ships, or at least a good explanation of how it is that the highest quality items would NOT be on transport vessels bound for ports of call ? Dread Pirate ships should have better loot just from the fact of who they're supposed to be. I suppose we could assume that chests full of rotted fruits should suffice, but it doesn't fit the profile of beings so awe inspiring, that fear riddled NPCs announce their location with dire warning of their awesomeness should anyone stumble upon them on the High Seas.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    I totally agree, bring back the static trees!!
    There were scripters when it was static, there are even more scripters working more hours now,  this random stuff did NOT stop scripting, in fact it made it worse.  When wood was static, they never bothered me, I just recalled in and if one was in that spot, I just chopped away and got some anyhow and then I turned the scripter in, stopped a lot of 'em.
    I had 2 rune books full of Frostwood spots that I could use when I needed it, now I have none and have only found 3 trees in the all the years we have had this stupid random thing --- and they lasted about 10 minutes and poof.  Oh and no, I'm not a scripter, I cut a LOT of trees to find those spots.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    with reforging being the way to go does anyone still use anything but regular anything ? i guess i could see colored stuff for deco ??
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • DrowyDrowy Posts: 128
    I use colored stuff alot for Bods, you could also turn it in at Britain library or Vesper museum. But as I barely mine, cause its mostly useless nowadays, I save the colored stuff for the Bods.
  • I just buy it from the scripters, I figure that's the reason the change was put in to start with.  It's not worth hunting for nowdays.
  • Another yes for static
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    Xare said:
    Easier for scripters.  I think its not happening.

What's better?  

1) easier for scripters.
    2) only for scripters.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Never going to happen it would effect the RMT sellers 
    UO Gold is worthless and I have not seen a resource scripter in ages.  It is long over due to get rid of the random resource generator, please.
  • Oh if only they would......  
  • Set resource places would be alright, but..
    I think it'd be better if they made areas where the likelihood of a certain flavor of resource to be mined for would be increased.

Like the Heartwood.. woods or something. Frostwood Meadows or something.. Shady Caverns for shadow iron ore.

White pearl harbor... > _ > Not saying it has got to be 100% every tile gives that resource or whatever, but 80% probability that if you get a colored resource it's gonna be for that named resource, maybe that's too high, but you get it. I just don't like going in a cave and having like gold/agapite/shadow iron/verite/verite/dull copper and somebody is recalling in and taking everything but the dull copper or whatever else.

As for resource scripting, I don't think that's going on anymore unless it's on a dead shard and they are leaking them back to the more populated shards.
  • The only thing is it still will fill the dev team with nightmares of how scripters and dupers will use this to gain ahead of us all and make the problem worse...  Its fear of...  
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2018
    What is wrong with you people? They change something that was wrong like static resources, then months/years later people forget why it waa changed in the first place and ask for static resources. Does nobody learn from history anymore? Is this what we do now, keep repeating mistakes?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• NamelessJourneyNamelessJourney Posts: 133
    edited October 2018
    Board.. board never changes.

• Mervyn  I do know the reason as I was there... its the same many complain about even today with the shifting types in place... Scripters / Bot's      Its why it should go back to static..  Shifting didn't stop them.  But right now so many internet sales places are out of business  UO has slowed down so very much in this area that only those who can afford to sit on it for months at  a time...can survive. 
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

I cannot agree with this one.

This change was made for a good reason playability-wise.

It feels better, and is more realistic the way it plays now, this system is far better, we would be taking a big step backwards.

The only issue right now, is it seems to be extremely hard getting higher end content, drop rates appear to be insanely low.

edited October 2018
    The change has been made to harm the scripters. But it turned out that it harmed the honest players way more than the scripters. They can afk mine/lumber all day long and get a good amount of rare ore/wood after some time.
    The honest player goes mining/lumber cause he needs a certain ore/wood and gets frustrated after some time cause he cant find any or just a small amount of it.
    To give some numbers, you need about 2k Iron for a full 20 normal/exc platemail Lbod. How many years should I go mining to fill such Bods with Agapite/Verite/Valorite with random resources?
    Who does Britain Library or Vesper Museum donations with resoruces these days? Almost none, if not none at all, cause without rare resources its not worth the effort.
    Ask any honest miner/lumber and probably everyone would like to have static resources back.
    The scripters got big stacks of those resources already, so reverting to static resources would hurt them, cause they get competitors. And there are ways to handle scripters.
    Mervyn, Cookie, you ever went out mining in both times of resources? I am pretty sure you never went mining at all.
    When i need a certain resource, I want to take my lumber/miner and go to place where I find it and not wander around mining/lumber all over Britannia and barely get what I need.
    edited October 2018

Drowy,

Crafting and gathering resources are a big part of my playstyle. I've mined, lumberjacked, gathered resources from the start.

• Here is my Crafter, and his full list of Soulstoned skills.
    • Also, my Bod factory relating to every single Crafting skill.
    • Also, an original runebook from back in the day - static mining - I still have the books, and the locations, yes I'm against it, it was boring, and a bad way of doing things.

Just to add, in a Feluccan only environment, which is where I play, if you are going to set places, eventually those set places become camped by PK's (and in fact other Crafters). It is far more diverse, interesting, and more fun, to open up the whole map, rather than a few nodes - which would be empty all the time, due to demand.

I would agree with the point that the drop rates seem insanely low, for an honest player. I've always stated this myself.

So when have you been mining for Agapite, Verite or Valorite or lumbered for Heartwood/Bloodwood/Frostwood the last time?
    edited October 2018

Recently. :)

It's just part of my playstyle, I do this all the time. Currently I have a Lumberjack/Carpenter being built on Atlantic, and I am training Lumberjack/Imbue and will follow up with Mining/Smith/Bowcraft/Carp and many many other skills on Siege.

I find you have to do these things over time, and it builds up - it's certainly not something you can go out, and collect a certain amount right now, well some you can, some you can't.

With Mining and Ingots, I have less issues, there are so many ways around it. Orc Brutes drop Shadow Ore, Blackthorn Ellies drop Gold Ore, Solen Ant Lions carry 4-5 lower range ores, then you get the Thepem quests for Metal Conversion. I spent many months on the Bronze to Valorite Conversion quest at one point, building up a stock there. You also have Prospector Tools, Garg pickaxes and Ore Elementals. I have 37,000 Valorite Ingots - see picture, I mined/traded for these, did quests, used Magincia Vendors etc. I am able to maintain Smith, Tinker Bods np.

With Lumberjacking, I do this a fair bit, and in fact do it on 3 shards currently. Europa, Atlantic and Siege. I'm going to agree with you here, I find it absolutely impossible to maintain my Wooden Crafting Bod side. Carpentry Bods - I focus on the normal wood side only, Bowcrafting has been left out in the cold a bit, because I cannot supply the Wood Types. I have 200 Frostwood Ore, I have 2,000 Bloodwood. I NEVER EVER find these. In fact, I get them most from say Trade Routes, I don't really know any other ways of obtaining higher end Wood Types.

BUT - I still strongly believe we should not go back to Static nodes. This system is far better playability wise. It's nice for me to pop outside my castle in Felucca, and browse around Yew Forest, or the Wrong Mountain range. Or just go anywhere I like.

I do agree there could be an improved drop rate for honest players. I like one of the suggestions above - maybe certain areas could have a higher chance of a specific resource type.

A suggestion of mine, maybe we can obtain somehow, something that influences the drops in a direction we want more.

{That reminds me, they do have this ingame - Specific Resource Maps from the Bod rewards and Void Pool rewards etc}

I think the point of my post here, is you have to think outside the box a bit, much of the higher end stuff, does not in fact come from the straight gathering skill itself (It comes from playing various areas of the game). Should more higher end resources come from straight gathering skills? I guess they should. But I think this is how the Developers have fought the scripters. Who still do exist.

Cookie said:

BUT - I still strongly believe we should not go back to Static nodes. This system is far better playability wise. It's nice for me to pop outside my castle in Felucca, and browse around Yew Forest, or the Wrong Mountain range. Or just go anywhere I like.

So what keeps you from doing this with static resources?
    I dont see the downsides of static resources. Mining and lumbering should be the easiest ways to get the resources you want, but actually they arent.
    I got more than one character being able to convert bronze to valorite, but I also used bronze in Bods and dont have enough to convert now.
    i also did quite alot of Void pool actions, but you need some people to get far enough for a good amount of points. And since the rewards are only good for crafters, alot of people dont like it.
    I did lots of trade order, raided merchant ships, but all of this is not good enough for a dedicated crafter as me.
    I got lots of large Blacksmith and Bowcraft Bods I cant do for Artisan Festival cause I lack the resources.
    Why do I have a miner/lumber when its easier to hunt for the resources?
    edited October 2018
    Drowy said:
    So what keeps you from doing this with static resources?
    I dont see the downsides of static resources. Mining and lumbering should be the easiest ways to get the resources you want, but actually they arent.
    I got more than one character being able to convert bronze to valorite, but I also used bronze in Bods and dont have enough to convert now.
    i also did quite alot of Void pool actions, but you need some people to get far enough for a good amount of points. And since the rewards are only good for crafters, alot of people dont like it.
    I did lots of trade order, raided merchant ships, but all of this is not good enough for a dedicated crafter as me.
    I got lots of large Blacksmith and Bowcraft Bods I cant do for Artisan Festival cause I lack the resources.
    Why do I have a miner/lumber when its easier to hunt for the resources?

Downside of Static Resources;

• You will never get anything at all. In Felucca the Rare Nodes will be camped by PK's and Gatherers who recall in and out. In Trammel, Gatherers will recall in and out of the relevant nodes every 15 minutes making sure they stay empty at all times.
    • It just feels unrealistic, and it gets boring from a players perspective. Once you've got your runebooks marked, you just recall around the same old same old.

(This is back to another real Pet Hate of mine - Trammel should not even have resources, it is a completely risk free environment, where passive aggressive behaviour which is very unhealthy for you, runs rampant. People will fight and squabble over the very rare nodes, but cannot actually vent their frustration, so it comes out in general chat, they will block rune-spots, lure mobs etc, it becomes an absolute unhealthy psychological warzone). We will go back to all of this, more ingame griefing. {For the purposes of keeping this conversation on track, feel free to ignore that bit, but it's how I see it}.

but..
    I think it'd be better if they made areas where the likelihood of a certain flavor of resource to be mined for would be increased.

Like the Heartwood.. woods or something. Frostwood Meadows or something.. Shady Caverns for shadow iron ore.

White pearl harbor... > _ > Not saying it has got to be 100% every tile gives that resource or whatever, but 80% probability that if you get a colored resource it's gonna be for that named resource, maybe that's too high, but you get it. I just don't like going in a cave and having like gold/agapite/shadow iron/verite/verite/dull copper and somebody is recalling in and taking everything but the dull copper or whatever else.
    I quite like this idea.
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited October 2018
    random resources are just to be said ... s . h . i . t . ; )

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

I would like to see Pks camping every rare node. If you mean scripters by gatherer, those can be handled. If you mean honest players, I am fine with that. If a vein is empty you can still get good amounts of lower rareness. Then covertion potions and cauldrons would have a sense as well. I could get enough Bronze then and convert it to valorite.
    It might even bring some pvp action which would be nice. So for me its a pretty weak argument.

As for being unrealistic, I dont care. Its a computer game there a so many unrealistic things. Its more about fun. And mining around without getting what you desire, is way more boring than recall and mine what you want.

Even with scripters and PKs i got the materials with the amount I wanted in static resource times and there were way more players on the shards. I dont remember griefing because of resources, but maybe our shard has and had mostly nice people.
    The reason it was changed to random locations was the scripters not griefing or anything else. As it is now, its way worse as it was because besides scripters people are barely mining/lumber for resources.
    What is unrealistic about it.  Do ore types in the real change, I will be back running now to see if my silver claim has changed to a gold claim, i am back, damn still silver.  I also agree this is a computer game and can be anything they want it to be.  The reason it was changed to random no longer applies.
    edited October 2018
    Drowy said:
    As it is now, its way worse as it was because besides scripters people are barely mining/lumber for resources.

I completely agree, understand and relate to this. I get the same in PvP also. Ultimately you have to play your own game, find your own place, and ignore all of this, it can prove impossible I know. The damage is done though, big time, it needs a proper fix.

The scripters are only there, because they can. My personal solution for all of this, is to prevent resources from being gathered in Trammel. In Felucca, they could be killed off, player justice. I agree they have made the economy meaningless. There are many debates about all of this, I won't go further.

All of this, is why I have moved to Siege - where all of these activities still have meaning in the game.

Staying on track on this concept, I personally, much prefer the current scenario, of being able to wander around the whole game environment gathering, rather than being shepherded to a few recall nodes and getting involved in a squabble for limited resources or finding them always empty.