A new enhanced client idea. (user interface)

psychlo0015psychlo0015 Posts: 20
edited September 2018 in General Discussions
They released the enhanced client years ago. I'm not quite sure how many people prefer the enhanced client over the classic client but I for one can't use the enhanced client for anything except placing a house. 

The graphics update and ability to control frame rate is probably the only thing I actually like about it. Being able to zoom in and out and have a smooth 144hz experience.

THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT ENHANCED CLIENT. 

-The user interface. 

Why couldn't they copy the classic user interface into the enhanced client keeping the game the same just with enhanced graphics? I see no other reason than saving money or utilizing some employees skills (copying the old interface was not in their skill set).

I think that we need a new enhanced client that has all of the classic client's user interface and none of the current enhanced client's user interface. 

Maybe a new container system that lets us make containers and items within bigger so we can see things easier.

Comments

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I like the EC as it is thanks.
  • psychlo0015psychlo0015 Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    jaytin said:
    I like the EC as it is thanks. 
    This is a recommendation to create a new client for people who would prefer the classic client interface and container system NOT change the existing one. Thankypoos
    Well it's not very likely they will have time to make another client! 
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    (Insert long pro and con post here)

Final line only important one
    The odds of BS diving into the client issue and making a third one  is as good as them dropping the windows version to make a Mac only client.
    In other words not a chance in hell if they have any choice.

PS anyone know of another game with two live clients for one platform?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Now this is a first, someone wants the CC with the EC graphics, WOW.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2018

@psychlo0015

The EC supports custom user interfaces. You could build a CC user interface and use it with the EC. In fact, I think a couple of custom interfaces designed to replicate the CC interface have been attempted.    

-Arroth
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I think you should have a long hard look at what part of the CC has become a crutch for you, once you figure that out, you'll embrace the EC like many others have.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    I think you should have a long hard look at what part of the CC has become a crutch for you, once you figure that out, you'll embrace the EC like many others have.
    This.  Many many many times this.
    @Garth_Grey well said sir!  :D
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I like a lot of the options that EC has, but I can't play it long, for the graphics hurts my eyes... Playing it for more than an hour or two gives me a migraine that takes days to go away.... If it wasn't for that, I would have switched for good cause I do like its features...
  • Are you using Pinco's?  He's fine-tuned the graphics options to reduce much of the inherent wonkiness. 
  • psychlo0015psychlo0015 Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Well if they allow custom interfaces why haven't they added the option to switch everything back to the original interface. oh and trust me I've tried to learn the new interface but I can't stand it just feels too cheap and half ass.
  • XareXare Posts: 124
    Because no one has built the original broken as all hell interface as an option and made it publicly.  Feel free too.
    Well if they allow custom interfaces why haven't they added the option to switch everything back to the original interface. oh and trust me I've tried to learn the new interface but I can't stand it just feels too cheap and half ass.
    They have, it is called downloading the CC and not the EC.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    It would be nice if they could update the the EC to have the legacy art 
    I would switch and I think most others would then they could drop the cc and only have 1 client 
    Skett said:
    It would be nice if they could update the the EC to have the legacy art 
    I would switch and I think most others would then they could drop the cc and only have 1 client 
    This has been asked for so many times in the past that most of us just gave up asking.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Am I the only one who remembers that one of the main reasons we have a 2nd client was that players complained long and bitterly that the CC graphics were outdated?
    Personally I do not want the CC graphics, if I have to go back to the CC I won't be playing any more.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    In EC you can make the containers larger using the scaling tool. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Am I the only one who remembers that one of the main reasons we have a 2nd client was that players complained long and bitterly that the CC graphics were outdated?
    No you are not the only one that remembers that fact but do you also remember that it was not everybody that asked for it and that the 2nd client attempt (3 so far) has not been what everybody wants.  What is wrong with wanting a new UI with the old graphics?  We should not have to run a 3rd party program to have even a little of what the EC can do and please I should not be required to look at someones idea of what UO should look like when there are great examples of what the designers of UO thought it should look like.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I remember it so well because I was perfectly happy with the existing graphics. I mention it only because of the idea being suggested here, that putting cc graphics into ec would make everyone happy and allow the retiring of the older client.
    My regret with EC is that the developers of that time saw fit to re-invent some of the existing mobs instead of merely updating the graphics we knew. Creatures should not look totally differently in the 2 clients, and ones created by the current team, don't.
    edited September 2018
    Totally agree @Petra_Fyde, the old graphics is UO and please do not get me started on the Blue Beetle (CC) versus the Stink Bug (EC) LMAO  CC Graphics with the EC would be a good step to getting to one client.
  • I would like to have bane dragon graphic from the EC with the CC - and I finally have my I-could-ride-a-dragon feeling ;)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

There are some graphics in both clients that are good and bad, it's not an all or nothing thing we have to take the good with the bad I guess. The Bane dragon does look good. I like the Swamp dragon too. Feels more like a dragon and less goofy.
  • I agree that a lot of people would find an enhanced client with classic client user interface to be awesome and pleasing but I don't think that they should ever retire the classic client because the classic is still basically the real game. The enhanced client models and sprites are lame in comparison to the classic client. 

The point is it would be cheap and easy to incorporate the classic client interface into the enhanced client and people would respond well. It would give classic client people the ability to use the enhanced client.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I totally disagree with the OP. The EC is much better than the CC, besides cosmetic wise. For one, I will need 3rd party software to survive the CC, like UOassist and Automap. With EC, its integrated, stronger feature cannot be matched. If anyone thinks the EC graphics is bad, CC graphics dated all the way back to 1997 style. Why not try using all softwares at that time and see how it feel. Its horrifying!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs