Creativity with Non-Traditional Style Structures

So many people gravitated towards designs that reflected what we already have. Personally I was hoping to see more variety other than what constitutes a standard Western European castle or keep. No one said we had to create a European castle or keep. That being said, I am amazed at the creativity of what people came up with.

We've got a huge space to work with and this was/is an opportunity to create something totally different. I thought it would be a good thing to start a thread about non-traditional building styles so maybe others can start thinking of design work now to get ready for the next one.

Just to share a bit, post the ones that you liked, regardless of the imperfections, the details that you didn't think fit, but that overall design you liked. Please don't post your own work. Let's be positive about someone Else's work.

The purpose of this thread isn't to argue opinions of good/bad design. It's just to respectfully share what we thought was different or special to get some creative juices flowing.

I'll start with 2:

Scenes of Morocco

Sandstone Keep

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2018

I quite like both of those. There is also a Japanese style compound that I thought was a nice change along with a couple of castles that were off-set to the plot (and Finley's little village). The thematic designs really showed alternate aspects of what UO housing can be.

-Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited August 2018
    First one has too much wasted space.  Cant put items in the walkways and walk around them.

Second one, the corner rooms are too small.  A harpsichord and related items would not fit. Too small for a bedroom with dressers.  Too small for a Kitchen or crafting room.

We like what we like.  Doesn't the whining tell you this?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Like them both but I prefer an open interior and hate unnecessary doors. 

The first one could have gotten the same external look without dividing up the interior into separate houses and small rooms.

The second one I have to ask why the 4 rooms? The centre could be used for a large crafting aria but only with difficulty and by taking up the centre of the house. With a bit of creativity internal wall can be added one way or another if the "homeowner" wishes.

Of the two I prefer the outside look of the first one.
  • Not bad to look at, but not for me to live in.  Functionality comes first  for me .. And lots of space for green areas ! Pumpkin fields, gardens, trees, grass ,ponds..so flat roofs mainly. The deco soften the cube look when you are inside but but the pretty buildings have space for some wines and maybe some flower pot.  We do have the European style already so I agree we need something looking different  but how to combine all this in one building? All have their own idea there and their own needs. We just have to get whiser by trying again and again. Or get a plot and some useful additions to the tool now andthen ;)
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I would have taken any of those over what we have ended up with. At least these are well designed and attractive... but I want less doors, they slow you down! I also agree some of us like a bit of a garden.
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    We've got a huge space to work with and this was/is an opportunity to create something totally different. I thought it would be a good thing to start a thread about non-traditional building styles so maybe others can start thinking of design work now to get ready for the next one. 

Just to share a bit, post the ones that you liked, regardless of the imperfections, the details that you didn't think fit, but that overall design you liked. Please don't post your own work. Let's be positive about someone Else's work.

The purpose of this thread isn't to argue opinions of good/bad design. It's just to respectfully share what we thought was different or special to get some creative juices flowing.

I'll start with 2:

People totally missed the point of this thread, it wasn't to pick apart the two Amber showed.  The purpose was to show designs you liked and critique it (critiquing doesn't have to be negative).  If I can find the ones I liked in the resorted list I'll post screen shots tomorrow.

I would have loved more feedback on my design and I would have loved to have been able to give it to others before our designs were committed for voting.

• Yes sorry I know that would come, should have made my morning coffee before posting . I mainly wondered if anyone seen anything like what I was talking about and could post it. Or what I wanted fits in on others wishes.  Im already focusing on next publish hoping for better rules and that we learned something from this and got influences from others. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Violet said:

I'll start with 2:

People totally missed the point of this thread, it wasn't to pick apart the two Amber showed.  The purpose was to show designs you liked and critique it (critiquing doesn't have to be negative).  If I can find the ones I liked in the resorted list I'll post screen shots tomorrow.

I would have loved more feedback on my design and I would have loved to have been able to give it to others before our designs were committed for voting.

The point of my reply is; No matter what designs are chosen, you will not satisfy everyone.  We are very picky with our homes.  

Notice how none of the complaining posters say a specific # is better than the winners.  The designs in their heads are better.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Violet said:

I'll start with 2:

Do you own a Castle or Keep then you already know what a pain in the butt the design is and how much we have been asking UO to open up the floor plans on both of these houses and look at the designs that won, none of them are an upgrade/fix to the problem that Castles and Keep are.  IMHO I would be willing to bet that most Castle/Keep owners want function way more that beauty.
    Where can I set up all my crafting stations
    Where can I set up displays
    Where can I have gatherings
    Where can I place Vendors
    Where can I place storage containers

Nobody wants to put these things into a bunch of small rooms or a poor designed floor plan.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    edited August 2018
    Post photos of the structures that you think best fit your needs. Test is still up so you can revisit the structures.

Per Mesanna who spent some time talking to people on test yesterday, this contest was a trial run and it's going to be done 3-4 times a year. She stated she was shocked to see so many building that were pretty much copies of what we currently have and she was hoping to see more totally different styles. I think many people shied away from doing something other than the typical western European because there were a few that criticized structures that didn't fit that concept. I think many people thought they HAD to build that in order to qualify.

The idea of this thread is to post what you like. It's always easier to know what you don't like and more difficult to formalize what you like. This is an attempt to do that.
  • Well this is interesting. The OP posted two designs in my top 5 favorites so I'll give my feedback on those.
    The Moroccan theme was in my top 5. I absolutely love the design features and aesthetics. The dirt floor was perfect and the styling on the roofs made it look great. My big problem was the continuity. You have have have to make sure that you finish walls, roofs, and walkways. There were several places that could have been refined and tightened up. In the southwest corner there is a walkway that is completely unusable. The rooms under the roof needed to be kept opened up. If that design was fully fleshed out it would have gotten all of my votes.

The Sandy castle was awesome. Loved it. Don't care about the 4 corner rooms, I could use those and would be absolutely happy decorating them. My ONLY complaint was the roof tiles. I'd prefer floor tiles up there that could be changed up with craftables. It looks nice but I'd rather have that functionality up there.

Like I said both were in my top 5. I could move into the Sandy castle today and live with those roof tiles but the Moroccan would have to be adjusted before I'd consider it.