Endless Journey, how about a new Fel beginning

Comments

• QuintusQuintus Posts: 16
    Mervyn,

Fel only shards do not work. Thats the point I was making. Any return players that come in just for that would be minimal anyway. Either way though, it would require marketing to be successful. Which was the point of my comment. UO must advertise to increase its player base. Now is a good time to do it too since younger folks and kids are becoming more interested in classic gaming. Its a great opportunity for UO to reintroduce itself to the gaming world.

Best.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2018
    Quintus said:
    Mervyn,

Fel only shards do not work. Thats the point I was making. Any return players that come in just for that would be minimal anyway. 
    How do you know? We haven’t tried it.

so you’re saying we would have minimal people come? Minimal is better than 0. What actually is your problem? You’re completely contradicting yourself. You’re saying my idea is like returning uo to its original state and you’re saying it won’t work cos people are becoming more interested in classic gaming??
    These are rhetorical questions, I’m hoping you don’t waste your time continuing to troll. Trust me, I should know when someone is trolling, (i also find it interesting when someone posts when they’ve never posted before, almost as if they have more than one account and they wouldn’t want to say what they are saying on their main account)

but I agree uo should advertise, but it’s in a bit of a shambolic state at the moment. They’ve just had the biggest bug fix that basically introduced more bugs. 

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• QuintusQuintus Posts: 16
    Bro,

You're misunderstanding everything. Let it go. Thx.
    Okay bro 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    How about this Mervyn. Start a Felucca only guild. Make everyone red, that way you insure no one goes to trammel. Then just live life in Felucca. I understand the reset and all, but there are countless shards (I say countless as I have never counted) that this could be done on. Pick a nice quiet shard where not too many people are make a nice post in the forum that can not be mentioned or linked and keep it active (since those who aren't playing can't see here or post here). Show the Dev team the true interest in such a shard and have it get their attention. Then come to the table with some concrete plans and evidence of the desire. You could do a grass roots riot and everyone page at the same time to show solidarity. And yes I am serious.

But what will prevent people from making a char on this new shard and all the other shards as well and splitting their time like they do now? (for the record I don't)

• TempestTempest Posts: 22
    edited August 2018
    Only way I would leave my current shard to start over on a Felucca only shard is if the following 3 things at minimum happened.

1. No VvV artifacts and Blackthorns changed to also require the item you and the minax tokens (so to get a crimson cincture you'd need the 50 turn ins and 1 crimson cincture) No Town Buff

2. Classic Client only. (actively banning any users of 3rd party programs on all shards)  This way there would be no reason to approve either Steam or Razor as UOAssist is good enough and people that feel the Enhanced Client is unbalanced can play here without trying to nerf the EC on current shards to maintain balance between the clients.

3. PvP balance updates would take precedence over PvM.

Otherwise I see no reason to start over. But if these 3 things happened I would be ok with it.
    New shard is not for existing players. 

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Mervyn said:
    New shard is not for existing players. 
    what good is bringing in new players that current players can't play with ? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Where do you believe "this post" belongs? 

I’m not suggesting that current players should not be allowed to join, I’m just saying the target audience is new players, sure current players can join however according to responses on this thread, no current player would be interested. 

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited August 2018
    In all those years of helping out new players, I never met one of them in Fel. Youre new shard would be as unpopulated as Siege. You would need to rework the whole PvP mechanics to make them appeasing to new players. They are way to tedious to get anyone new interested. I guess you don't play many games apart from UO..
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    edited August 2018
    Well the kind players would be in fel, because there would be no trammel. Although in my experience players in trammel are far more unsavoury than those in fel. With one facet the players would not be split. Just remember, There will still be guard zones. You know there are guard zones in fel right?

why not make this new shard preAOS no items properties no PS 7x GM skills and no Fel then it would be full of players....
    edited August 2018
    1 not technically possible
    2 I was around for pre aos, game was terrible, we wear nostalgic glasses. But the game consisted of spending 30 mins magic traping pouches, followed by everyone casting para para, magic reflect para. Game was bad, but then again at least there was no auto pet logout exploiting. And I do miss reagents.

but you are asking for something already there if you want to be able to PVP everywhere you can there VvV start a guild war i suggested this else where and was amused by the irony of the PK who calls people tram carebears bemoaning the fact that during a guild war his crafter got ganked in luna this same PK who talks in general chat about killing helpless miners. just to be sure what you want is an all fel rule set (so Seige) but with everything a propdo shard offers IE insurance and normal skill gain??
    edited August 2018
    McDougle said:
    but you are asking for something already there if you want to be able to PVP everywhere 
    No you should read the thread, I don’t want to repeat myself, it’s not about pvp, it’s about making a good economy for crafters. 

You don’t see all the posts about how Siege is different? Not asking for Siege. Please read entire thread before posting.

i have had posts removed for repeating myself. 

oh I've read the thread and dozens and dozens like it the fact remains you ask for something already there...
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Most people don't care for the fel facets what makes you think a fel only shard would be a success?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited August 2018

Mervyn, seriously, give up the ghost, and bring your guild to Siege. :)

Yes it's much harder, yes you'll start again, but that's fun tbh, and a challenge.

I don't think you can win, or get any form of movement from the Trammie zealots who now run the game, so leave them.

Mervyn said:

it’s about making a good economy for crafters. 

Instead of making a whole new shard, why not address the issue from a crafting angle? I have no doubt you could get a whole slew of people on board for making crafting more viable. It seems to be a broader thoughtful direction instead of starting from scratch.

What do you think could be done to make it better?
    What do you think is lacking now?
    edited August 2018
    Gidge said:
    Mervyn said:

it’s about making a good economy for crafters. 

Instead of making a whole new shard, why not address the issue from a crafting angle? I have no doubt you could get a whole slew of people on board for making crafting more viable. It seems to be a broader thoughtful direction instead of starting from scratch.

What do you think could be done to make it better?
    What do you think is lacking now?

I've come to a point of view, the problems are too many, and there is a small group of players with agendas for keeping the status quo, to be able to get any traction for improving anything, this includes crafting. This is why my opinions, or suggestions for fixes often seem extreme, because the problems are so many, I think we are better off with a complete reset somehow.

I don't think there are a whole slew of Crafters anymore, they just let the Trammies wipe them out without so much as a word. They never stuck up for themselves, because they were a more passive, calmer group of players, who just sat and watched as their playstyle got burned to the ground.

Quite frankly, in the old days, the Crafters should have stuck with the PvPers, instead of the Sampires. But now their time is gone, as is the PvPers pretty much.

Issues with Crafting.

• None of their products have any meaning or use in comparison to Legendary PvM gear. But the Devs cannot buff their gear in any way because of the below;
    • The fact Scripters or Dupers have created unlimited quantities of their resources has meant there is no meaning to collecting their resources - so the gatherers have nothing to do (this includes me), and the Devs feel they cannot give Crafters any decent content, because all the scripted/duped resources will come into play, and wipe out the new crafting content within a week. So the only way Crafting can be improved, is if an entirely new system comes into play (too much work to create), or there is a huge wipe on current resources, or we move to a shard like Siege that hasn't been so affected, or we start on a new shard. If we try and buff crafting in anyway - and if you look at my past posts, I've been vocal in trying to buff crafting - one of the few, you will see players saying there is absolutely no need. I personally think there is, I think the current game-style is wiping out so many gamestyles and the players responsible don't even see it.
    • PS - The actual Crafting systems themselves are perfect, nothing wrong with the system, just the fact they hardly contribute anything to the Endgame anymore and too many of their Resources are stockpiled illegally into the system, destroying Crafting, and the Economy.

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited August 2018
    Mervyn said:
    Well the kind players would be in fel, because there would be no trammel. Although in my experience players in trammel are far more unsavoury than those in fel. With one facet the players would not be split. Just remember, There will still be guard zones. You know there are guard zones in fel right?
    Because there would be no Trammel, only half a dozen players would be playing that shard at all. Of course, those would be in Fel. But it's still wishful thinking that it would be an populated shard. Take off your rose-colored glasses.. 
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    JollyJade said:
    Because there would be no Trammel, only half a dozen players would be playing that shard at all. Of course, those would be in Fel. But it's still wishful thinking that it would be an populated shard. Take off your rose-colored glasses.. 

Where does Siege rank in the populated shards?

How busy is Felucca on both Europa and Atlantic, the busiest shards?

They just let the Trammies wipe them out? I never knew Trammies could wipe out crafters. I suppose I never looked at the people of UO being in gangs.

But you said it yourself Cookie, None of their products have any meaning or use in comparison to Legendary PvM gear.

I admit that I myself don't even being to understand the broad spectrum of armour crafting. It is mathematically and numerically beyond me. I suppose I could take time, but I do understand that some of the drops I see could never be manufactured.

But I still don't see how starting a new shard will prevent the people on that shard from just bypassing crafting and going straight to monster loot.

I don't think people having stockpiles of resources is the cause of less crafting. If anything should it not be the boon of? You claim people have lost heart in regards to not wanting to gather it and feel gathering all for naught? People could just all decide to bypass buying resources and gather it themselves thus alleviating the store bought scriptors?

Where there is a vacuum something will fill in that void. There is always some upstart who wants to be the new powerhouse goto guy/girl to buy things from. Make a name for themselves in game.

edited August 2018
     Gidge said:
    They just let the Trammies wipe them out? I never knew Trammies could wipe out crafters. I suppose I never looked at the people of UO being in gangs.
    - Life is all about Gangs and which Tribe you belong to. ;)

I admit that I myself don't even being to understand the broad spectrum of armour crafting. It is mathematically and numerically beyond me. I suppose I could take time, but I do understand that some of the drops I see could never be manufactured.
    - Yep.

But I still don't see how starting a new shard will prevent the people on that shard from just bypassing crafting and going straight to monster loot.
    - True. This is where Siege has an advantage in this regard. The no insurance ruleset, means you have to be very careful about what you wear, when you wear it, can you afford to lose it - the result being - Crafted Items retain their value and meaning in the game.

I don't think people having stockpiles of resources is the cause of less crafting. If anything should it not be the boon of?
    - It's good if you want to buy items in bulk for training.
    - From the Developers perspective, looking at it now, they cannot introduce any new crafting content which uses current resources, because the content will be flattened within a week, as people bring their 60k piles of resources to complete the content. This means, they have to develop an entirely new crafting system, which in a way, is not required, as the crafting system itself is not bad at all, most aspects. So it is not the boon of, because it is preventing crafting being fixed, or anything new or meaningful coming in.

You claim people have lost heart in regards to not wanting to gather it and feel gathering all for naught? People could just all decide to bypass buying resources and gather it themselves thus alleviating the store bought scriptors?
    - You try farming for a particular Item, taking an hour to get 10 of them, and knowing out there are 60k stacks, it destroys your morale. Therefore the whole gathering playstyle has been decimated.

Where there is a vacuum something will fill in that void. There is always some upstart who wants to be the new powerhouse goto guy/girl to buy things from. Make a name for themselves in game.
    - Have to disagree. Sometimes systems get so unbalanced, they cannot recover on their own. Look at Capitalism, where 1% of the worlds people, own 99% of the worlds wealth. A similar thing has happened in UO. That's why I call for drastic measures - this situation does not have to be.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Get enough players to actually come to Siege for PvP, then get the numbers together that have always been needed to change the shard. Right now you won't get the changes through because changes on Siege are controlled by the PvM crowd, there are PLENTY of pvp'rs who could come to Siege and get things changed for the better. We don't need a new Felucca only shard, that's ignorant and is only being requested by players that want to be able to transfer there and bring their stuff with them, but you could absolutely get the changes  you want if you bring enough voices with you, but it'll never happen.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Get enough players to actually come to Siege for PvP, then get the numbers together that have always been needed to change the shard. Right now you won't get the changes through because changes on Siege are controlled by the PvM crowd, there are PLENTY of pvp'rs who could come to Siege and get things changed for the better. We don't need a new Felucca only shard, that's ignorant and is only being requested by players that want to be able to transfer there and bring their stuff with them, but you could absolutely get the changes  you want if you bring enough voices with you, but it'll never happen.

This is certainly a solution, and one I would happily work towards - already am!

I can see exactly what you are saying, and why you say it.

I thought of a 0 effort way to introduce a fel only shard.They could create a new shard with completely normal rules (except non transferable), make it so that you start in a fel city, and simply disable trammel on the moongate gump.

You wouldn't be able to do any trammel only content (so no doom artis, imbueing ingredients or slithers etc..), but if the shard was popular then they could start turning ter.mur and malas into fel etc..

• IkeeluIkeelu Posts: 134
    I have tried siege and was turned off. The thrill of losing everything to pk or dying too deep in a dungeon was neat and brought me there. What i didnt realize after a day of killing birds for feathers was that no vendor would buy them... ok... all i have is a katana... immedately the fun went out the window. I stayed though, and killed mongbats and skeletons. Then I was on the forum and realized on this “tough guy” shard you could use soul stones? Seriously? Also, you can use a mythic token... nuff said. Siege is annoying at best. 

So... make the Fel only shard. Normal UO, looks like we get a couple peerless for that crimmy drop, and thats it. You can’t transfer in. Everybody starting from scratch. But I can f’n recall and sell damn materials to a vendor. I can 7x gm in a day and I can keep the suit I made with my damn crafter cause I got 5 guys! Not some siege work around 5 accounts, soul stones and mythic tokens... but we’re hard core here... 

I like the idea, call the shard Classic. God it would take forever to farm legendaries on abcess or Lady Mel, and oh snap, sharing Blackthorn’s? You can be pk’ed anywhere but town and everybody needs everything and YOU can be pk’d practically everywhere you farm. Hard to farm Mel if you cant farm keys... 

Anyhow, I get the awesome idea here
    esdxWhere is the bank? 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Totally worthless idea and waste of DEV time for a small group of UO players that can't handle real hardcore PvP.