Hmmm.... Vendor pricing of same items at different prices ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,995
edited June 29 in General Discussions

I do not understand the point of pricing the same items, on the same Vendor, at different prices.

Players would understandably purchase the cheaper ones (at 150,000 gps) and let be the higher priced ones (the 15,000,000 gps and 150,000,000 gps), I imagine...

First Powder of Fortification from the left

Second Powder of Fortification from the left

Third Powder of Fortification from the left

Fourth Powder of Fortification from the left

Fifth Powder of Fortification from the left

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    So, you don't understand that people will fill the bag up with a most of them at 150,000 and throw in the oddone at the higher prices you have shown by design to get the players who are buying a lot of them to fill up the barrels and will see the 150 at the front and purchase it unsuspectadely? I don't believe you are that Naive, you know exactly why. I'll ask again, are you just making threads to be making threads?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• vortexvortex Posts: 214
    popps said:

I do not understand the point of pricing the same items, on the same Vendor, at different prices.

Players would understandably purchase the cheaper ones (at 150,000 gps) and let be the higher priced ones (the 15,000,000 gps and 150,000,000 gps), I imagine...

First Powder of Fortification from the left

Second Powder of Fortification from the left

Third Powder of Fortification from the left

Fourth Powder of Fortification from the left

Fifth Powder of Fortification from the left

Please stay at that vendor 24 7 and warn people when they show up!
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    This is a known underhanded practice that has been discussed before here: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/106336/#Comment_106336
    Does anyone feel we need to re-hash the topic? If not, with the community's approval I will lock this thread.

edited June 29
    Mariah said:
    This is a known underhanded practice that has been discussed before here: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/106336/#Comment_106336
    Does anyone feel we need to re-hash the topic? If not, with the community's approval I will lock this thread.

Lock it please, there is no need to rehash it, it'll likely just get me in trouble . . .

• poppspopps Posts: 3,995
    edited June 29
    Mariah said:

@Mariah

It looks to me it is a different issue as that of the other Thread for which you provided a Link...

There, in that other Thread, the issue was a "description" of the item, here, it is multiple items having different prices on the same one vendor, no description...

I see that something was done to put a limitation on for which items on Vendors players can put a description, how about, @Kyronix , to do also something in this case and have, when placed on the same one Vendor (unless they are within a container of course), ANY AND ALL items be forced to have the same one price of the very 1st same item priced on that one Vendor ?

That is, for example, if I place a bottle of Powder of Fortification (or any other item) on my Vendor for 150,000 gps, any other single bottle of Fortification that I was to drop on my Vendor's backpack will automatically get priced at that 150,000 gps barring me from being able to enter a different price.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,423
    It is a known deceit, it's been happening for many, many years. At some point players have to take responsibility for actually looking what they are buying and not expecting developers time being spent protecting them from their own carelessness.
    As a long time player I would rather developers' time be spent actually developing.
    edited June 29

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,372
    With only 5 items to choose from in the pack, I think the seller of these items did not intend to cheat anyone.  Could be the seller just miss priced the items.  Could be the seller just for whatever reason wanted different prices on the items.  Could be, like some of us now, the seller is just not as competent as before anymore.  Could be the seller is just careless though the difference in prices is a little large for that.  
    I sometimes have what I feel are legitimate reasons for putting different prices on the same items.  For example, just want to get gold I need fast by selling one item for less than the others.  For this one to be a cheat, the seller would be relying on on the game providing a buyer that no longer had a normal train of thought.
    Real people put stuff on vendors so you can expect anything.  Usually, the cheat is to mark up an item in a long list, but on occasion I have found just the opposite.  I once found a slayer that normally sold for 20 million selling for a 4,000 gold.  When I checked the vendor map, it was listed on my vendor!  Luckily, I got to it first.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,408
    Lock it
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 855
    edited June 29

Advice:

1. Use EC for any vendor purchase interactions.  The grid view eliminates many spoofing problems.
    2. If you don't trust yourself, you could implement a "credit limit" on yourself, e.g. by failing any purchase over X amount. Modify as per link.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,372
    edited June 29
    Sorry Popps, don’t agree with you on the automatic price setting.  Representing a nonbalron item as balron bone armor is a fraud and should be regulated in game.  But for pricing, that’s the buyer’s responsibility.  Sellers have the freedom to price stuff as they please.  Would not mind having the automatic price setting available to use on my vendor though.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,153
    Why is it you never come asking for the ones priced at 1500 to be fixed? 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    @popps I told you there was more money to be made by selling PoF than the kegs.   :D

I thought you were a crafter, why are you buying those?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    Locked to prevent damage to @Victim_Of_Siege 's backspace key
This discussion has been closed.