Suggestion: diminishing returns on damage

I guess even if they cap the damage on AI, people will just spam whatever special does the most damage.

Currently, for pvm, and to a small extent pvp. Players find the highest damage to mana ratio and tend to spam that special or spell etc. And things get a little repetitive 

i think to mix things up a bit, how about a repetitive special//spell dealt to give diminishing damage?

I believe there is already a similar system already in place with weapon specials, more than one weapon special attack consecutively costs additional mana. However if you hit mana leech this is not an issue. And only affects warriors. 

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    No.  Quit fixing things that aren't broken...And quit encouraging them to fix things that aren't broken.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I don't know how some people are even still posting here.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Please be mindful of the terms of service when discussing ideas and suggestions.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Not only NO but HELL NO!
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    jaytin said:
    I don't know how some people are even still posting here.
    RIGHT! But then again, there are BLATANT scripters/cheaters/RMT people in game who have been reported, with evidence sent to Mesanna, that are still "going strong". So who knows what is allowable these days. I know all the BS, and the obvious lack of ability/desire/care to do anything about it has got me thinking about cutting back on accounts. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    I vote NO.  
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Very poorly thought out idea that would make the game more of a grind (like we need that) and would cause more aggrivation than it's worth.  I have a hard time believing tthe OP even plays Pvm wise.  Contrary to his statements.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    What makes you think I’m a liar sorry?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Mervyn said:
    What makes you think I’m a liar sorry?

Because your suggestions (at least the vast majority) seem to indicate you have no clue about pvm.  
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2018
    Well, I'm not sure what your definition of "grind" is, but to me it would mean doing something over and over fairly repetitively, which I would like to discourage.

Here's a good example of someone who has gone to the effort of uploading a vid of many (if not all) bosses being slayed:

(Courtesy of AJ)

After video number 5 I think you'll get the jist of how repetitive it is.

• ObuwObuw Posts: 47
    While I honestly believe OP's sole purpose on the forums is to troll everyone, I think the idea actually has merit. Obviously not the way he presents it... Diminishing return on damage would be a terrible way to encourage special move diversity. But things would be a lot more interesting if we had several viable special moves to choose from.

Obviously the answer isn't to nerf armor ignore; but to buff the other, rarely used special moves instead. And, ideally, to reduce the ridiculously high resists of every single mob in the game, so that armor ignore no longer does 5x the damage of every other special.

And to encourage special move diversity, we first need to actually *allow* people to use more special moves. Since weapons only have 2 specials (of which, 1 is often useless, like dismount in pvm). If each weapon came with, say, 5 specials, then a lot more players could get behind the idea of penalizing people who spam a single special.

Once again, of course, this wouldn't be done by adding diminishing returns on damage done, but perhaps by increasing the mana cost penalty. If weapons have multiple decent specials to choose from, then it wouldn't be a big issue to cycle between a couple specials rather than spamming the same one.

Of course, this all requires some development time, and I'm not sure if BS has the manpower to make such changes at this point of the game's development cycle.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    And you seriously want diminishing returns on damage to extend the grind, now that is priceless.  Do you stay up nights thinking of ways to make UO play even more player unfriendly or what.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    +1
  • Absolutely not
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Mervyn said:
    Well, I'm not sure what your definition of "grind" is, but to me it would mean doing something over and over fairly repetitively, which I would like to discourage. 
    I've got an idea, why don't you make your own different weapons or pets with different special moves and take these to kill whatever you are killing. That way it won't be repetitive for you. Then all of the people who want to repetitively spam a single special move over and over can do this and everyone is happy.
  • TrismegistosTrismegistos Posts: 193
    I think with your help someday uo will be unplayable.
    Don't fix things which aren't broken.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I am confident that the developers will give this suggestion the attention that it deserves.
This discussion has been closed.