What is happening with insta equip change?

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited July 2018 in PvP / VvV
I was under the impression from overwhelming past feedback on other forums that something would be put in place to prevent insta equip changes during combat (excluding arming).

There are so many ridiculous things going on involving insta equip changes that I can’t begin to list them. 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• cobbcobb Posts: 172
    Yes I agree. I also remember devs stating they were going to do something about Insta suit switching in the middle of combat. This feature needs to be removed from the game, or it needs to be added to the CC in order to promote fair gameplay
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    I would hate to see a feature removed from the enhanced client to keep it in line with an older client. After all its called the "enhanced client" as it offers enhanced features right? Most of the time it would be required for a user to upgrade to the newer version in order to access newer features.
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    edited July 2018
    I agree with Mervyn and cobb: either remove the feature from EC or implement it for CC. Balance out the two clients. (in a perfect world I would be able to use the EC with CC graphics - a man can dream...)
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2018
    There needs to be something to prevent INSTA suit switching during combat with the EC, it would be very bad for the game if this ability was added to CC.

I will state just 1 example, but i could probably come up with 100, on why INSTA suit switching is bad. Protection spell, gives -30/35 resisting spells, this was designed prior to insta suit switching, now people can just set a macro to switch suit to give +30/35 resisting spells (in place of faster casting) when they cast protection.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Mervyn said:
    now people can just set a macro to switch suit to give +30/35 resisting spells when they cast protection.
    Yes but they have to sacrifice other mods on jewels to do this and you can always purge it.

I'm sure the kind of people that like to PvP in a competitive manner own a gaming keyboard. Even if you removed this feature from the game it would be possible to record a macro and save it to the keyboard. Mine allows me to do this along with many other nice features that I cannot do in the game using what is provided.

I see where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong. If anything just add it to the classic client. Its been in the game for years now. It should of been addressed back then.
    edited July 2018
    Well lets just take this one example, you could replace the faster casting with resisting spells, and not sacrifice any mods. 

The issue is that you're able to replace on piece of equipment with another, without having to unequip the original piece of equipment, if they added a caveat that you must first not have anything equipped in order to equip, that would also solve the issue.

The fact that this has been an issue for a long time, actually makes it less okay and not more okay, people have been complaining about it from day one.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited July 2018
    DJAd said:
    I would hate to see a feature removed from the enhanced client to keep it in line with an older client. After all its called the "enhanced client" as it offers enhanced features right? Most of the time it would be required for a user to upgrade to the newer version in order to access newer features.

This is me. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/total_recall/

This is you. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/total_recall_2012/

Remakes are often far worse than the original.

You are just part of a sad demographic that just happened along as the worse version came about, and know nothing else. To anyone else, of all demographics, it is all too obvious which the better quality version is.

EC needs to be deleted, it is as simple as that. My kids, who are way more tech savvy than you or me, would prefer the original, it is far more in keeping with todays environment. EC is dated, and is a failed reboot. An original has nostalgia, it has dated well, it is perfectly matched with gaming styles today.

Failing deletion, instant suit changing in a pvp battle, makes no logical sense, the version which is wrong needs to be changed - in this case, EC.

Well, what is actually the issue here, On EC and CC if you drag a piece of equipment into your paperdoll, and you've already got a piece of equipment armed. It won't allow you to equip the item without first de-equipping the original.

So perhaps we could simply submit it as a bug? as the equip macro on EC is bypassing normal game mechanics. 

Cookie said:

You are just part of a sad demographic that just happened along as the worse version came about, and know nothing else. To anyone else, of all demographics, it is all too obvious which the better quality version is.

So if just discussing the technical aspects of the client what in your opinion makes the classic client better? Can you tell me a couple of things it does better than the EC?
    lets not get into EC/CC here, apparently there is an as yet not legal 3rd part program for CC that allows you to switch equip insta too.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited July 2018

It plainly and simply plays better DJ. The characters are integrated into the environment, they move/roll with the environment, it has right the play and feel - especially noticeable in PvP. EC is disjointed and blocky. Not only do the characters not move with the scenery - they float above it, they look horrendous, none of it belongs together, which prevents yourself from immersing into the game itself as a fantasy. In short, it has no soul.

Possibly the only useful feature CC could take from EC, is the location of healers on the mini-map.

So from a technical aspect, CC just plays right. Anything else is secondary.

Which would you prefer, a Rolex, or a Timex? One has status, soul, integrity, precision engineering, nostalgia, is old school, the other is more modern, more technically advanced....+

And sorry Mervyn, don't mean to constantly distract the topic away into CC v EC, but it's the only way to be fair, you want to try and solve one little thing, I'm a big picture guy, I can solve the entire game and bring it back.

Cookie said:

It plainly and simply plays better DJ. The characters are integrated into the environment, they move/roll with the environment, it has right the play and feel - especially noticeable in PvP. EC is disjointed and blocky. Not only do the characters not move with the scenery - they float above it, they look horrendous, none of it belongs together, which prevents yourself from immersing into the game itself as a fantasy. In short, it has no soul.

Most of the things you mentioned are graphic related which all boils down to ones personal taste.

With regards to the actual topic Misk has already posted the answer in Mervyn's other thread:

"We plan on adding this feature to the classic client, although there is also no ETA on this."
    He did, but i disputed it as i didn't explain the issues with it, i originally addressed the issue as an imbalance issue between the 2 clients, it's not a feature that should be added to classic Client, or if they do add it, it should at least require items to be unequipped first.

• cobbcobb Posts: 172
    An update on the ETA would be nice, especially since the devs mentioned they are currently adding features to the CC. But even if the feature is added to the CC, there should be some cooldown timer for both clients.  Even better, it should be disabled while in the heat of combat. You shouldn't be able to switch suits constantly with no penalties.  That is bad game design. 
  • CetricCetric Posts: 152
    just dont break it on weapons/arming.  I could see them altering something and making weapon switching god awful.
  • DukarloDukarlo Posts: 50
    It's not a matter of breaking a feature of the EC. Insta equipping should not be in either client. It goes against the very spirit of the game. Yes I understand people have been doing it and probably for a while now but that doesn't mean it should have ever been in the game in the first place.
    Cetric said:
    just dont break it on weapons/arming.  I could see them altering something and making weapon switching god awful.
    On classic client, unless you use previous weapon macro (which only works for previous weapon and messes up if you get disarmed) you must first take 1 second to disarm current weap, then another second to arm the new weapon. 

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    totally agree.  instant suit switching during combat is essentially free skill points (or free max luck).  it shouldnt be in the game at all, but as it is gives EC users a massive benefit over CC users.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    (in a perfect world I would be able to use the EC with CC graphics - a man can dream...)

I so agree
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2018
    Cookie said:

Possibly the only useful feature CC could take from EC, is the location of healers on the mini-map.

So from a technical aspect, CC just plays right. Anything else is secondary.

Which would you prefer, a Rolex, or a Timex? One has status, soul, integrity, precision engineering, nostalgia, is old school, the other is more modern, more technically advanced....+

And sorry Mervyn, don't mean to constantly distract the topic away into CC v EC, but it's the only way to be fair, you want to try and solve one little thing, I'm a big picture guy, I can solve the entire game and bring it back.

I don't quite agree with your comments about EC looking disjointed and blocky. I also play other 3D games, and I don't have any issue with the new enhanced client look. In fact, I hate classic graphics and don't even understand why it still existed.

The only time when I was asked to use the CC is only for the purpose of 3rd party AutoMap, because all my "former" guild mate uses that for PVP gank. They use it to talk, call for help, and everyone will zoom in to attack at the position. I doubt this feature can be matched on the EC. Another point my guildmate uses CC is because the spells are faster and has zero lag, whatsoever.

Now, it seems some are asking for EC features to be included in the CC so as to be fair? Why not ask the CC to match the EC instead and if not remove those features in the CC. I am fine with insta equip is included in the CC. It is a joy to play with insta-equip, but it doesn't make me a great pvper. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2018
    And who says the CC graphics is correct? Did you see how the horse gallop? Its like 2 man front and back walking. Look at how the legs are sync. Its looks correct and better on the EC.

And since day one the swampy looks like a cucumber in the CC. LOL. This wasn't first called by me but someone almost 18 years ago when it was first introduced.

So who else said CC graphics is nice. I will never ever agree with that.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    I had taken a well deserved break from the game hoping everything would be fixed by the time I get back. Only to find they released pub 103 without fixing insta suit switching but let it spread to CC now also, this game is a total joke: 

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/3011/major-qulity-assurance-fail-on-publish-103#latest