Why UO would benefit from an expansion this/next yr

SaiahSaiah Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in General Discussions
Hello all,

I am relatively new to this game. I was an old school EQ gamer in '99 and never touched Ultima until literally 3 days ago.

I am in love with the depth, combat, adventuring and core systems that UO uses.

Something I wanted to mention is.. you guys haven't seen a UO expansion in over 3 years now. Is this because it has exchanged hands a few times? Are sub numbers low? (doesnt seem it)

Reason I ask.. if any Dev is reading this at all.. Do you notice a shift in the MMO industry happening? Theme-park MMO's are becoming a thing of the past as people get tired and bored of korean hack/slash or theme-park MMORPG's. People are looking for something more elaborate now.. more difficult and something that has much more depth and meaning. People are wanting that "more meaningful" mmo and a few have popped up like Pantheon, LoA and a few others. All of these are being backed by millions of dollars from people interested in changing the genre back to what it was once before.

UO has had this feeling people are looking for... under a hood of 1997 graphics... which people just ignore right away.

So I ask, Mr/Ms Dev.. why not take advantage of this timing? Release new content.. new things to fight.. new adventures.. New abilities.. new spells.. Don't have the funding? I'd gladly give a chunk of money towards your development (even though people DESPISE crowdfunding these days.. i think it has its good uses.. SOTA gave it the bad name.. not you guys ;) )

As a community, do you guys think an expansion could come? How do you feel about it?
  1. Should UO have an expansion?5 votes
    1. Yes! I'd back it with $ too!
      20.00%
    2. Yes!... just not crowdfunding
      40.00%
    3. No.. games dead.
      40.00%
Tagged:

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I haven't voted, simply because I don't think any of your options apply. I don't think we need a new expansion, these are my reasons:
    We already have more land than we can occupy
    Something new is added with almost every publish, take publish 97 as an example, a complete change to taming that has had tamers busy ever since. Even the last publish, a bug fix publish, added small things like higher level maps to the hag's quest, reviving interest in that quest. 
    New abilities? We already have so many it's hard to choose which ones to squeeze into a template
    Yes the last expansion was Time of Legends, but new things are still being added to that land pretty regularly.  
    If you think we need an expansion, perhaps you haven't yet explored fully what we already have?
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    completely agree with Petra here.
    Also the last publish was a desperately needed attempts to get rid of bugs and I would actually love to see another one of those to increase playability of what we have instead of adding new stuff that will just result in new imbalances and a ton of new bugs.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I think the Dev Team would be better off revisiting some old content and improving it rather than make more content that is hardly touched. I mean actually improving it not just changing it like Despise in Trammel or what they did to Doom.
  • TeapotTeapot Posts: 58
    Another expansion would always be welcomed, new encounters and lands could be added without them completely replacing the current end content.  Getting another stygian abyss size dungeon is a pipe dream most likely for the size of the current game budget probably.  For those saying the lands are already so huge, they really aren't especially for a game this old.  I have seen much larger total landmass in a few other younger games, and those games had no recall.

Having seasonal content year round would probably go a long way.  Alot of people play only around the time of the holiday dungeon lately, and then fade away again shortly after it ends.  The taming content was a big draw, I'm sure they actually saw a subscriber increase since the pet system in this game is probably the most unique aspect other than housing.  I only came back after casually reading on a website about those changes, and I was gone 12 years.

Either way at the end of the day the old timers that will never let their houses and collections disappear are probably the main thing even keeping the game going.  Im constantly amazed at how many people I meet with 6 or more paid accounts, just something you dont see anywhere else.  Even the amount of people that keep accounts going just from inheriting a account from a real life death.

Anyhow heres to the upcoming holiday dungeon, hope to be able to flick through multiple pages of guildies online again.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    In the future we might could take another expansion.  I vote no for now, just because I don't ahve faith that the current team can do it without focusing on toil and struggle and making us have a clickfest to play it.  Everything now is tedious and such.  So no...

And for Teapot, this is one reason you see so many people hop on for seasonal stuff.  And I'll shout it from the rooftops, it's because THEY CAN JUST LOG ON AND PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  they don't have to key it, they don't have to do rooms, or a repetitive bunch of mini quests, etc, they can just log on and do it.  

Christmas, just log on and turn in bods.
    Anniversary, just log on, progress the spawn in the towns, and killl the elemental.
    Halloween, just log on, trick or treat, or kill pumpkins and Butchers.

Yes it's more fun than new content, because I can just log on and do it, without spending my couple of hours "keying" up.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    maybe they can just make some monsters in the underused dungeons stronger and give them a loot bump
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited July 2018
    Yes as Petra Fyde said I vote none of the above. If you are doing a pole please include a none of the above or don't care option.

I think the need is to bug fix and clean up old code. As an example there are three systems for building a house that I can think of. This makes for a steep learning curve to get the affect you want. (my present pet peeve) 

But back to topic EA owns the game and Broad Sword runs it so sorry but I don't think crowd sourcing would make it past the lawyers. And not being a lawyer I don't know, would any out side investor would be welcome? 

That being said I still plan on when I win that lottery of giving Mesanna a call.  ;)
  • "What Petra said. "
  • SaiahSaiah Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies guys.. just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the matter. I've fallen in love with the game and was just curious..

ty again.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I haven't voted, simply because I don't think any of your options apply. I don't think we need a new expansion, these are my reasons:
    We already have more land than we can occupy

We have more "useless" land than we can occupy. There is no reason to even venture into 3/4 of the game anymore. The best loot is found in only a few places. There's really nothing to gather off corpses and gold in old places is nowhere near the amount in some of the newer places.

I understand wanting people to play the new stuff but if half the game is made useless why even bother keeping it? Things that used to be fun for me and give the occasional useful item are practically useless anymore. You can barely get decent items from major bosses anymore.

The past few months I've found myself logging in to just stand around a minute and log back out. It's a shame that a game with this much history and land mass can become so boring because it really isn't useful compared to the standards set in the top tier places.

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    For me playing uo isn't about finding the best loot, it's about doing things I enjoy, therefore I don't find 3/4 of the game's land mass useless. I regularly visit all facets for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with "best loot". 
    Yesterday I dug a map in Felucca, hunted raptor teeth in Ter Mur, getting chiv gains on my crimson drake, caught a swamp dragon in hoppers bog and 2 giant beetles in the ant nest for my pet stall. I've also recently done hag's quest for maps and solen queen quest for bags of sending plus a few bods for powder because I made my archer a new bow.  I don't play to amass tons of gold, I play to have fun and relax.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    Despite what some peoples opinions are on this the game needs constant content updates that are permanent.  Only way to keep people interested in a game is to constantly refresh what you can do while playing.  I mean if they want to keep the small population they have stay the course, but If they really want more new players or old players to return in droves it takes new content/updating old content to bring them in.  They have to get more money for the game in order to pay more people to run it, that's just a fact.  There should be updates and fresh content with every single patch otherwise the population will just keep dwindling til UO disappears completely.  I also don't think it needs to paid for by the players, it should be done cause the devs should actively seek to make more money with ambition.   
  • PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    Hey!

I have also been playing this game for 3 days and have no idea of any of its 20 year history and legacy.  Listen to my dumb ideas, too!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Pinkerton said:
    Hey!

I have also been playing this game for 3 days and have no idea of any of its 20 year history and legacy.  Listen to my dumb ideas, too!
    Perfect response if you had the correct Avatar. 

I also feel like saying this here often.  

They did the bug fix and concentrated on making the game less fun instead of fixing the hundreds of bugs we sent them.  Carpenter and Tinker BODs will never be made to work as intended.  Basic items still do not stack after many requests.

So, we move on.  There is supposed to be a High Seas Upgrade.  Is that going to happen?

They need something new to keep us busy until Sept/Oct.  

I agree with The Great HIGGS.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    For me playing uo isn't about finding the best loot, it's about doing things I enjoy, therefore I don't find 3/4 of the game's land mass useless. I regularly visit all facets for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with "best loot". 
    Yesterday I dug a map in Felucca, hunted raptor teeth in Ter Mur, getting chiv gains on my crimson drake, caught a swamp dragon in hoppers bog and 2 giant beetles in the ant nest for my pet stall. I've also recently done hag's quest for maps and solen queen quest for bags of sending plus a few bods for powder because I made my archer a new bow.  I don't play to amass tons of gold, I play to have fun and relax.

You're also a minority or they wouldn't keep creating new and op items. I don't expect the best loot otherwise I'd be in shadowguard and not on here complaining about being bored. What I do expect is to do previous expansion bosses and walk away with a little something usable.

I see no reason to go to shame now except to train a pet. The hardest things in wrong are only good for gold and a pat on the back for a job well done.

• Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    I would like to see the current areas finished being built out and maybe revamped for the times. World story arc's have been rather successful. They would be a bonus as well instead of a new land. 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Saiah said:
    and never touched Ultima until literally 3 days ago.

I am in love with the depth, combat, adventuring and core systems that UO uses.

As a community, do you guys think an expansion could come? How do you feel about it?

crowdfunding (SOTA gave it the bad name.. not you guys )

*smells a BIG rat*
    I sense you are not a new player to UO at all. Only playing on "EA/Broadsword/UO" servers for 3 days?

I feel that you and anyone else who is new should have more than enough content to keep you busy, unless you are a power gamer and eat through .49¢ games on steam like my teenager.

Have you actually had time to enjoy the game?

If you are bored already...might I suggest making a beggar? :D They can be handy at times.

As far as new content, to appease who? New players? Old/returnable players?

And what do you mean by.... "crowdfunding" (SOTA gave it the bad name.. not you guys )

I vote no but games not dead.

I get that you would like to rescue the game, but so much needs to be fixed STILL before more stuff is added.

Might I make another suggestion... with your fresh eyes?... start making a list of things you find wrong/odd/off and help us get to zero on the number line before we get above 0.