Attempting to throw a bola (and missing) does not aggro

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited July 2021 in Bugs
"If you try to attack someone with a spell or any melee attack and you miss or the target evades the spell and receives no damage, you still aggro the target, however you can attempt to throw as many bolas as you like at a target and will not aggro until one lands. No other attack allows you to take as many turns as you can without aggressing. 

Expected result: swinging a bola at a target to aggro"
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Update request”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Yoshi said:
    “Update request”
    I believe you can throw shuriken and don't aggro until you hit even remaining hidden but it's been a second 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited December 2021
    “Someone reported that to me too yes sorry (and Fukiya dart) did not include as much less severe”
    By much less severe do you mean doesn't affect your play style?
    “being dismounted is more severe than being poisoned
    but I welcome listing both here”
  • ElvisElvis Posts: 53
    edited December 2021
    “Aggro for fizzled spells is the bug.  Bola don’t hit you maybe it is not for you.  No hit no aggro”
    “More important - if the bola miss where does it go?  Not on ground”
    edited December 2021
    “(In the interests of declaring conflict of interest. Elvis plays a blue (unsuccessfully) who only flags orange when bola successfully hits while other more capable players are engaged in genuine orange combat. 

I however am interested in fixing bugs for improving gameplay. No personal gain.)”
    This seems to be working as intended with all thrown items not flagging on a miss
    “That is the Copenhagen interpretation.”
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited December 2021
    So a ninja stealth can go near, Bola until someone gets dismounted. Does it break hiding if the Bola misses? If you use archery heavy crossbow to dm, the attacker will be revealed.

Anyone who plays pvp know dismounting is the first step to kill someone. You almost cannot kill anyone if they continue to run around the world 24/7 like a snow piercer. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    don't worry all the ninjas have been nerfed to the stone age...
    edited December 2021
    “You’re revealed when you miss but you’re not understanding the flagging,

the oranges fight each other. But blue people come along and try and bola people, you cannot attack them until you’re actually hit with the bola as the misses do not turn them orange so it doesn’t matter that they are revealed. You cannot defend yourself, they are free to attempt to bola you 100 times and you cannot defend yourself until bolad. Then of course when you’re finally Bola’d all other 20 oranges you’re fighting will kill you instantly as you’re on foot”
    No you CHOOSE to not fight unless they  flag you can freely attack them
    edited December 2021
    "no, they are blue, cannot attack without getting guard wacked/taking murder count, need town buff

Also, if they are not aggroed they can recall/go into house, there are clear rules about agressors flagging

If i played a red and tried to murder you in the guardzone, and you called the guards and the guards wacked you, wouldn't you be annoyed? aggressor is aggressor, victim is victim"
    Maybe fight not in guard zone the thrown items are all behaving appropriately 
    “yoshi what the solution when blue Elvis bola you in a guard zone?  think hard you will get it”
    edited December 2021
    "i am not talking about exclusively in Guardzone
    aggressor should be aggressor, it's very simple, if you attack someone you attack somoene"
    As stated all thrown items working as intended 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Can we please drop this and leave it to Bleak & Misk to decide whether it's a bug or not?
  • We probably could, but our current team still fails at basic communication skills. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    In principle, the moment you attempted a murder you are an aggressor. Even if the murder fail or shot is missed. There is nothing to argue.

I mean in the real world when u chase someone around with a knife it's an aggressive action. It dies not start after the knife draws blood 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited November 2022
    "Why this is still a thing? we have to take a murder count to defend against someone swinging a bola at you?
    if i try to dismount a blue with a bow or no-dachi, and i miss, it still flags me criminal, why the choice of weapon makes it not flag until it hits?

even when this weapon has another bug that you can't even evade it https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10202/bolas-immune-to-evasion#latest

so you have increased hit chance"

Yoshi/Merv how your pixies attacking me when I am hidden and tabbed out?  How do archer jump off mount, try dismount shot and back up on mount instantly but no dachi have nerf delay? It’s ok just play and have fun.  The bug with missed bola is the bola is deleted but I get more.  How Merv is allowed to use the Yoshi forum account to post?  What wrong with the Merv account?
    edited November 2022
    Elvis said:
      How do archer jump off mount, try dismount shot and back up on mount instantly but no dachi have nerf delay?

"there is no difference with no dachi dismount and archer dismount, same delays
    but your point about pixies is valid, i will raise a seperate thread

also it's not a bug that the bola is deleted, it's a consumable"
    Yoshi said:
    also it's not a bug that the bola is deleted, it's a consumable"
    uoguide: "Once used the bola will fall to the ground, where any character may pick it up."

why mount delay after bola throw miss but no delay after archer dismount miss?
    edited November 2022
    "okay uoguide is player written wiki, that actually used to be the case, however this was changed and uoguide was not updated (because i and other volunteers were unable to log in for 3 years to update when there were server issues, i no longer maintain that wiki, other volunteers may though)

yes there is a mount delay after a bola miss, however you're suggesting this is somehow offsetting the fact that it doesn't flag. This is not the case, If you bola and hit someone and flag them, if you then go to bola them a second time while you're already flagged, you're still subject to to the remount delay on subsequent misses while flagged.

Note no weapon skill is required for bola

Imagine if i played a shield bash - glenda character, where you can kill someone in one hit if they both hit at the same time. Imagine if i was able to just keep swinging on someone with wrestling and parry...30 times without flagging until eventually I hit them and they die in one hit.... making the first parried 30 swings pointless and they are unable to hit back....

this is what is going on with bola...
    "

you dont throw glenda and shield these are different
    "you're supposed to have something like 50% chance of hitting or missing,
    if you can just swing infinite times before you aggress, it's 100% hit chance"