Tears of the ice dragon

I enjoy events like this one in which newer players like myself with a reasonably advanced character willing to make the effort can get the rewards they want.  My character’s template has 5 skills at 100 and 2 at 110.  On his own he could solo paragon snow and ice elementals, and after working at it even ogres.  My character had no hope of soloing a paragon wyrnn, drake, or ice fiend, but he really enjoyed working with other players to take them down.  Really enjoy events like this were I get to know and work with other players, and watch them take on monsters.  Also, appreciated having a healer just outside the entrance.  Would have liked a better selection of rewards but overall really enjoyed the event.  Think paragon ogres, wyrnns, drakes and fiends were intended to be group projects.  Saw players that could solo them but not many.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Was way more efficient to take the paragons you cant kill to the North hallway where only snakes and slimes spawn.

Thats what I did to get drops on my Gargoyle.  Don't waste time on Paragons that you can't kill.  Put them somewhere they will not bother players and kill the rest of the stuff to get drops.

Play smart.  I would yell at the players who killed things they couldn't kill paragons of.   They thanked me later when the drops were raining down. Some days we had all 4 AOLs just walking around and no one touching them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • My Chiv/Macer could solo any Paragon in there, and even took on a Para WW and Para AOL at same time and won, twice. Gotta love Stagger for these "Treasures of " Paragons. The fact that they're immune to Life Leech/Drain gives templates other than Sampire a chance to shine.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I’m thinking about building one of those.  Currently the character has gm tactics, macing, anatomy and parry.  Other 3 skills he has are not working out.  Thinking of adding chiv. and resist. spells.  Is this close to what you have?  Have healing on a stone so could add that.  Not used to playing a fighter.  Thanks.

edited January 2021
    Arnold7 said:
    I’m thinking about building one of those.  Currently the character has gm tactics, macing, anatomy and parry.  Other 3 skills he has are not working out.  Thinking of adding chiv. and resist. spells.  Is this close to what you have?  Have healing on a stone so could add that.  Not used to playing a fighter.  Thanks.
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Mace 120 real  for mastery
    Healing
    Chivalry higher means more damage and fewer missed spells
    Bushido min 90
    Parry

So that's a packed template. No room for Resist.

Chivalry removes curses, Healing removes poison and heals you.
    Use a 2 hand weapon or 1 hand no shield.
    I carried Orange petals and Apples when in the 2 events.
    Thanks!  Will give that a try.  
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited January 2021
    Here's what my Chiv/Macer is.

120 Macing
    GM Tact
    GM Anat
    120 Chiv
    GM Healing
    GM Parry
    80 Resist

126 STR (150 with Greater Strength Pot)
    139 DEX (150 with Greater Agility Pot)
    37 INT
    138 Health (150 with Greater Strength Pot)
    180 Stamina (191 with Greater Agility Pot)
    73 Mana

Without Wep equipped, he has 30% HLD (Plate Mace & Shields)/45% HCI/45% DCI/100% DI/55% SSI/50% EP/45% LMC (Full Plate)/4 MR. Resists are 70/70/70/70/75. He uses a Legendary Artifact Shield that gives him a lot of extra properties, and that he Parries with. He also rides an Exceptional Armored (Shadow) Swampy, so takes 20% less damage in PvM. Need to get him a Paroxy Swampy sometime.

I was using a Maul for Double Strike special. I had two Mauls, one with 100% Fire Damage and 32% HLA/87% HLL/50% HSL/87% HML/Dragon Slayer (for WWs), and the other with 100% Fire Damage and 32% HLA/87% HLL/50% HSL/87% HML/Repond Slayer (for AOLs, Frost Trolls, and Ratmen). I was also using an Ice Slayer Talisman.
    I would hit the opponent with Stagger first, then spam Double Strike on them while self healing with bandages. I'd refresh Stagger before it's 10 second duration expired. If facing a Para WW or Para AOL, i'd also use the Toughness mastery to boost me to 177 Max Health from 150.

I'd use Con Wep against Para AOLs to give me +15% Bonus Damage against them, to bring me closer to the 300% Damage Cap since i wasn't using Ogre Slayer on them. When i had a Para AOL by itself, i'd also use EoO against it. Same with Paragon Ice Fiends and Paragon Crimson Drakes.

When faced with a Para WW and Para AOL at same time, i would activate Toughness and hit the Para WW with Stagger then a Double Strike, then swap to the Para AOL and hit him with a Stagger as well, then swap back to the Para WW and spam DS. I would make sure to refresh Stagger on both within 10 seconds. I'd focus on killing the Para WW first, since his magic was the biggest danger (especially if Poison landed right before a bandy applied) due to Stagger neutering their melee damage output.

I farmed the Ice Fiend Room, and would stuff the Platinum Drake inside the wall room so i wouldn't have to kill them and lose Karma.
    Thanks for the detailed post.  I learned a lot from it.  Just started working on chivalry so I found it very useful.
    Chivalry is in the damage formula. Notice we both have it at 120.

A sampire is similar to my template. They replace chiv with necro at 100. But they can vary.
    Thanks for the detailed post.  I learned a lot from it.  Have most of those skills just starting to learn chivalry.