Server Lines

Just genuinely curious -

Why are server lines still a thing?  Why were they in the first place?  And is there any hope in the future of making those go away?  I kinda doubt it 20 years down the road here, but just wondered.

They are super annoying and always have been, breaking flagging rules, causing lag and glitches, making all your stats fall off and not return (ie. You have 180 Mana with +50 Mana Inc and +20 Intel bonus, you cross a server line, drops your Mana to 110/180 and you have to Regen it back now which is awful in some situations.

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 790
    $50 says it's core program and would require a full rewrite.
  • My best guess would be due how objects are handled.  UO has way too much to keep track of and breaking sections up would ease load.  Its why most in mmo's you cant drop items, UO has an insane amount, displaying and registering them to all loaded clients gives me chills.
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited March 2019

I watched a Game Developers Conference: Postmortem, on YouTube. 

They were talking about the upcoming Beta release and realized they didn't have anywhere near the infrastructure they would need, after selling over fifty thousand Beta CDs.  That's when they came up with the lore to support the multiple shards concept but they would still need multiple servers per shard to support the number of users.

They had originally thought they might have dozens of players on at any given time but soon realized they could have a thousand or more.  Servers at the time could only support a hundred or so players so that's why they split up the land mass across several servers.

Obviously today's servers can probably handle thousands of players but the total landmasses have also grown over the years as well as the amount of stuff throughout the land and in every house.  They could probably consolidate servers on low population shards but can you imagine running Atlantic on one server?  I doubt it.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Tim said:
    Agreed: legacy core code is almost always the black beast in similar cases.
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Ivenor said:
    Tim said:
    Why it got to be black though???
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Arron said:
    Ivenor said:
    Tim said:

Red Bull was trade marked?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Hmmmm.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited March 2019
    Arron said:
    Ivenor said:
    Tim said:
    Sorry, it isn't this way of saying correct in English? In Italian we say "la bestia nera" i.e., "the black beast". I believe that is has nothing to do with racial stereotyping, if that is the problem, but more with religious imagery of the old, if not with even early one (ancient Rome).