New "Enable Legible Journal" Issue

GidgeGidge Posts: 426
edited March 2019 in General Discussions
Has anyone managed to change it and change back?
I changed to it and the on game play screen text is now gone.
System things still show and my typing is there though.

This affects just the character I changed it for.

I attempted to change back and the checkbox is already unchecked.
I tried checking and again and unchecking and nothing happened.

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Yes I changed back. Did not understand any of your middle paragraph though. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Mervyn said:
    Yes I changed back. Did not understand any of your middle paragraph though. 

Neither did I. :)

I fixed the sentence.

What screen things are you using please? I have both of my maxed and not playing full screen.
    the 1000x200 numbers (yes I know those aren't the real numbers)
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    theres well known bug with all settings where if you change something it cant be changed back.  only way is to delete all your character folders.    id suggest paging a gm if all else fails.  thats what youll be told. 

had this issue for the backpacks, and a few other really annoying settings.  i just try to not mess with settings unless i absolutely have to. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Log fully out of UO. Go to your program files, find in your uo folder uo.cfg, open it in notepad, find ReadableJournal=on set that to off, (you might need to move the file somewhere out of program files if your pc won't let you save the change, then move it back after saving)
    Next, go to your documents folder, EAGames, find the user data files. Open the file with the same name on EVERY character you have logged on since making the change. Change all these to 'off' too.  If you miss one, it will re-set the program files version and you'll be back where you started.

I've done similar changes with items in config file in the past. It's a pain, but it can be done.
    Looking....

How rude!!!

ReadableJournal=off

It shows off for all the characters and I went in and manually turned it on, and then turned it back off in game again to no effect.

I did notice these lines on other chars had colors, so I logged into game and looked at those colors and they were all solid black in the box so I changed them all to purple to test and and now the words are back on my screen.

PartyMessageColor=0
    GuildChatColor=0
    AllianceChatColor=0
    ConferenceChatColor=0

Hopefully this helps someone who is missing their words showing on screen.

Though I admit, It was kind of nice not seeing any words in that corner in classic and having to use the journal. I just had to remember to open the journal, or I began to feel like I was the only one playing.

edited March 2019
    deleted
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:
    What Petra is saying is to try

in the uo.cfg file for each char, normally located under documents/eagames/ultimaonlinelegacy/userdate/username/shardname/charname, you're looking for this entry which is about 3/4 the way down the page:
    ReadableJournal=off

if it says on, change it to off

What Petra said I understood completely.

If you read my reply, I did say that all my chars including the main one was already set to ReadableJournal=off.

Hence my sentence, and I quote myself thusly..."It shows off for all the characters and I went in and manually turned it on, and then turned it back off in game again to no effect."

Thank you for trying to help though.

Petra did lead me to the fix I needed. Oh! I did forget to thank you. Thank you Petra!

sorry

Mervyn said:
    sorry

no sorries...never sorries. help is help.