In-Game Skill Descrptions?

ReikoReiko Posts: 30
edited March 2022 in General Discussions
I'm guiding a new player to UO at the moment through the game. We have run into many scenarios on where he has asked how would he know something in-game without being told, and I didn't know the answer.

For example, where in-game does it tell you Bushido makes it so it is more effective to parry with a weapon instead of a shield and the honor virtue gives you a stacking dmg increase buff with bushido?

I know if you mouse over a weapon w/ bushido skill, it'll tell you the parry % which can inform the player that way. Although besides knowing to check the weapon, it doesn't seem a new player would know this. Same with the honor virtue changing. 

On the same note, where would a new player discover that combat-related skills give a stacking buff to LMC for special moves? There doesn't seem to be a good in-game source of information outside of UO Guide or the official UO website. 

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    @Mariah can provide the link to the wiki which has a bunch of info.

Another avenue is UOguide.com or just searching the forums (here or stratics)
  • ReikoReiko Posts: 30
    keven2002 said:
    @ Mariah can provide the link to the wiki which has a bunch of info.

I know about these resources, but I'm asking about in-game guidance for a brand new-player that wants to discover things without a heavy reliance on outside of the game knowledge bases. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Reiko said:
    keven2002 said:
    @ Mariah can provide the link to the wiki which has a bunch of info.

I know about these resources, but I'm asking about in-game guidance for a brand new-player that wants to discover things without a heavy reliance on outside of the game knowledge bases. 
    What you are asking for if it were in-game would be the same info as the wiki
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    UO is a sandbox where you can do whatever you want. There is no end game or real point of doing anything. Being a sandbox there is no in game guidance. 

The only real information will be found by user trial and error or rely on the decades of information provided by other players found spread over numerous sites. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2022
    “The problem with adding things in game, is that if things get changed, or if there is an error discovered, the devs never get time to update it. 

There’s at least one error in the animal taming guide in game.
    And there are many errors on the mannequin, the worst being that it tells you the PvP spell damage cap is 15! (It’s 20 for non focused, 25 for focused)
    at one point it was 15 but it never got changed. 
    (All mannequin text errors have been reported many years ago, still not corrected)

Perhaps they could somehow link an in game help on the skills tab to the website wiki on skills. Since at least Mariah is able to keep on top of her workload.
    I will refrain from comment on Misk’s workload.

on your specific example about 300 combat skills giving a lower mana cost bonus to using specials, this is quite an advanced mechanic, I’m not really sure a new player would need to know it. But perhaps they could add an icon in racial abilities book with a description, the icon would be greyed out if you haven’t achieved the 300 required skill.”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • ReikoReiko Posts: 30
    So in short - seems like the answer is no. Just because a game is a sandbox doesn't mean they can't explain basic game mechanics in their UI or other means in-game. I love UO, but to excuse away simple things like mousing over an ability and not having it fully explained to what it does is not reflective of good game design. Neither is devs not having time to describe their skills. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Reiko said:
    So in short - seems like the answer is no. Just because a game is a sandbox doesn't mean they can't explain basic game mechanics in their UI or other means in-game. I love UO, but to excuse away simple things like mousing over an ability and not having it fully explained to what it does is not reflective of good game design. Neither is devs not having time to describe their skills. 
    Can you tell us what other 25 year old game that constantly changes does that so we can get a comparison of good game design?

There are even hidden factors in weapons in Diablo that are not explained by hovering over the item.  Does WoW explain every detail about every factor on a weapon or skill?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Reiko said:
    So much this every person I've tried to get to play my children coworkers friends fellow gamers all turned away by this...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited March 2022
    Eldon Ring just topped 12M sold.  I have no idea what it is.  Maybe people buy new things.

And it also has things that were not explained:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-wall
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    When I started three years ago, I did not have a mentor and had the same problem your new player is having.  The answer is to search the internet.  There is no single source.  The in game help as a rule gives you background information that helps you figure out how some things work but somehow manages at the same time not to give you any useful information on how to play your character.  The internet often refers you to posts in this forum and other forums where you have a much better chance of finding a definitive answer.  Occasionally, you run into a player that helps newer players and that makes you the best source for the player you are helping.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    It would be great if you didn’t need to rely on websites to learn the game but that’s how it is. Pincos UI adds some extra information to the UI that can be helpful, I’ve found. 

You can always ask questions in this UO Discord server https://discord.gg/vRw36e2VMm
    By the way, asking the question here as a discussion post works quite well too.

Arnold7 said:

I bet less than 20% of the population comes here..
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited March 2022
    McDougle said:
    Arnold7 said:

I bet less than 20% of the population comes here..
    More people go to Stratics than here. 

Example: The news letter thread here has 1.2K views and 42 replies. On Stratics it has over 3K views and 152 replies. 

But, the devs, IF TAGGED, have a better chance of seeing it here. So there is that.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    I think part of the problem with this game is that it is designed to be played by players playing together as a team.  If you had a question or needed help the designers planned on someone in your team helping you out.  Think that might have worked back in the day but don’t think the developers assumption that newer players will become part of a team holds much water anymore.  Think developers tried developing tutorials for new players at some point in the past but gave up on that a long time ago.
    Arnold7 said:
    I think part of the problem with this game is that it is designed to be played by players playing together as a team.  If you had a question or needed help the designers planned on someone in your team helping you out.  Think that might have worked back in the day but don’t think the developers assumption that newer players will become part of a team holds much water anymore.  Think developers tried developing tutorials for new players at some point in the past but gave up on that a long time ago.
    The haven quest are not bad just unfinished..
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    UO is by far one of the most complicated games you will ever play.  There are so many builds, yes some are way out there and not very practical but you can still build them, could you imagen the tutorial that covered every interaction with ever skill build possible it would be like the largest library you could build with all the different possibilities.  And now add in all the different equipment possibilities and the different mobs, you think VS is bad could you imagen sorting through this monster with I want build XYZ with equipment ABC to fight MOB LLL.  UO was meant to be played and learned as you go with your friends/guildies or solo on the lesser MOBs.  UO was meant to be played and when needed to research/ask questions in forums and other info sites or other players in game.,
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    RG had a brilliant design. I say this with absolutely no offense towards anyone but he didn't make a hand holding game. He made a mystery that was meant to be discovered as you paid him month after month of subs trying to figure things out. 

I'm 100% positive there are things that have yet to be discovered in this game. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Arnold7 said:
    The developers are correct about 25 or 26/27 shards. It gets harder to find regulars to play together, except for special EM events.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs